WCQ - Canada vs. Honduras Nov. 13th, 2015 Pre-Game Thread

jpg75

Local supporters, including Voyageurs and the children of Voyageurs. It doesn't get more prominent than that.

That's cool too. Good of the CSA to involve the V's in a very cool experience. Did they get to keep the jerseys? Or are those the actual game day jerseys and they have to be given back?

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roster by position:

18- GK- Milan Borjan | BUL / PFK Ludogorets Razgrad
22- GK- Kenny Stamatopoulos | SWE / AIK Fotbol
1- GK- Simon Thomas | NOR / Strømmen IF
17- FB- Marcel De Jong | USA / Sporting Kansas City
20- FB- Karl W. Ouimette | USA / New York Red Bulls
2- FB- Fraser Aird | SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
3- FB- Samuel Adekugbe | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
4- CB- André Hainault | GER / 1. FC Magdeburg
5- CB- David Edgar | ENG / Sheffield United
19- CB- Wandrille Lefèvre | CAN / Impact Montréal
12- CB- Dejan Jaković | JPN / Shimizu S-Pulse
6- M- Julian de Guzman | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
7- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
8- M- Will Johnson | USA / Portland Timbers
10- M- David Hoilett | ENG / Queens Park Rangers
11- M- Tosaint Ricketts | TUR / Boluspor FC
13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
14- M- Samuel Piette | ESP / Deportivo La Coruña
15- M- Adam Straith | NOR / Fredrikstad FK
16- M- Kianz Froese | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
23- M- Tesho Akindele | USA / FC Dallas
9- F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / CA Fénix
21- F- Cyle Larin | USA / Orlando City SC

I dont really think we have to worry about all those players. Yes it would be nice if they were all cap tied just for kicks But....Lefevre won't be called up to France any time soon, neither will Adekugbe with England.

Hoilett will start, but its important to cap tie Aird since you never know

Adekugbe is already cap-tied. He came on in Belize.

name names.

Zach (Forever a Team) was there with his son, obviously. Gordie from Vancouver if you know him; don't think he's on the board. Me, for a bit. A couple other Vs who I didn't know, shook hands with, and immediately forgot the names of because hey I'm Lord Bob it's what I do. Some non-Vs, some CSA volunteers..

Apparently it was all very last-minute but a few eyes were caught. Cute kids in CSA kits kicking around a soccer ball in Robson Square isn't quite ordinary.

Zach (Forever a Team) was there with his son, obviously. Gordie from Vancouver if you know him; don't think he's on the board. Me, for a bit. A couple other Vs who I didn't know, shook hands with, and immediately forgot the names of because hey I'm Lord Bob it's what I do. Some non-Vs, some CSA volunteers..

Apparently it was all very last-minute but a few eyes were caught. Cute kids in CSA kits kicking around a soccer ball in Robson Square isn't quite ordinary.

I can't frigging believe there are guys on this board who would start harping about this, as if it were anything more than what it looks like: people of all sorts wearing team jerseys. People like you and me, who go to games. And all these elitist comments as well, really sad.

It is a simple and very clear idea, and it is meant to promote the game in Vancouver, in emblematic sites. The faces and who it is is not as important as the message.

I mean, what is the problem here guys: is it that TFC was not only knocked out of the playoffs but the MNT as well it seems? So you really have nothing better to post about, too boring to actually comment on the squad?

In exactly three days they are all going to be in Vancouver and we'll put a face on every name, don't worry.

I personally do not think this is a better squad than the last round, not at all. It is only okay-to-good in one area, though a worthwhile one: attacking mids. So that is a plus, we have people to appear behind the strikers. No one can say it is ultra defensive, it is balanced. The rest is very journeyman, though since Honduras and EL S are similar, we'll take it.

I personally do not think this is a better squad than the last round, not at all. It is only okay-to-good in one area, though a worthwhile one: attacking mids. So that is a plus, we have people to appear behind the strikers. No one can say it is ultra defensive, it is balanced. The rest is very journeyman, though since Honduras and EL S are similar, we'll take it.

i 100% think its better than last round

I think the defence is better this time than 2012. McKenna, Jazic and Klukowski were past it last WCQ.  

Keeping is about equal.

Central mid is 4 years older, so we lose something here.

Hoilett, Akindele and Ricketts better than Simpson, DeRo and Jackson on the wings? Let's hope so but the current crop has accomplished nothing as of yet.

Larin better than Occean?  Let's hope so.

Okay, I'm listening. Give it to me position by position if you want, all ears.

As  I see it, we have older guys who are slightly worse or else are no longer rising, and kids who are unproven in spite of good seasons.

I think the defence is better this time than 2012. McKenna, Jazic and Klukowski were past it last WCQ.  

Keeping is about equal.

Hoilett, Akindele and Ricketts better than Simpson, DeRo and Jackson on the wings? Let's hope so but the current crop has accomplished nothing as of yet.

Cant include simpson in the last cycle. He was never part of it. Also an argument can be made that atiba is better than he was 4 years ago. Being one of the sure fire starters in his preferred midfield position on a top 3 club in turkey vs playing as a fullback at psv. 

Keeping is about equal.

And what has the last crop accomplished? Let's wait and see what this one does before we compare.

Comparing 2012 vs 2015, we are probably better in net, but it's very marginal.

Forwards, less experience this time around but Larin is coming of a similar season than OO in 2011-12 (B2 player of the year). 

Back 4, pretty similar than 4 years ago.

Midfield, Hutch is probably a better player now and I hope we can see it on the field. But our situation in midfield hasn't dramatically improve. Maybe Hoilett will replace DeRo creativity but I don't think our mids are really better than 2012.

Overall I don't see a major improvement in talent. Maybe a slim one but anything major.

Keeping is about equal.

And what did the last crop of legendary midfielders accomplish exactly?

I can't frigging believe there are guys on this board who would start harping about this, as if it were anything more than what it looks like: people of all sorts wearing team jerseys. People like you and me, who go to games. And all these elitist comments as well, really sad.

It is a simple and very clear idea, and it is meant to promote the game in Vancouver, in emblematic sites. The faces and who it is is not as important as the message.

I mean, what is the problem here guys: is it that TFC was not only knocked out of the playoffs but the MNT as well it seems? So you really have nothing better to post about, too boring to actually comment on the squad?

In exactly three days they are all going to be in Vancouver and we'll put a face on every name, don't worry.

I went back and looked at all the comments about the photo you posted and I'm pretty lost? Who was complaining and what are the "elitist" comments you're referring to?

I went back and looked at all the comments about the photo you posted and I'm pretty lost? Who was complaining and what are the "elitist" comments you're referring to?

Try to stay focussed on the game and stop bitching about who amongst the thousands of fans in Vancouver is wearing a shirt for a promotion, guys. And, as a general principle, get a life.

Edit: this message is only for those who feel alluded to.

Try to stay focussed on the game and stop bitching about who is wearing a shirt for a promotion, guys. And, as a general principle, get a life.

What are you talking about? I asked who the people were, I wasn't complaining or bitching, just an honest question. When Ben posted who the people actually were I commented how I thought the idea was pretty cool.

Relax brother, if you misunderstood my intent no need to stoop to insults.

What are you talking about? I asked who the people were, I wasn't complaining or bitching, just an honest question. When Ben posted who the people actually were I commented how I thought the idea was pretty cool.

Relax brother, if you misunderstood my intent no need to stoop to insults.

Then I am obviously not talking to you.

Do you really think slagging something like that, nvolving other fans and a hell of  lot of good will and effort,within an hour of the roster announcement, is at all decent?

Matt it was this comment that seemed "elitist" to Unnamed Trialist if I had to guess:

Who are these people?

It would have been cool if the CSA had a bunch of prominent Vancouver residents do this.

My POV:

It's cool they got your "average" fan to show up and take part; it's fun to feel part of something and all the promotional stuff but I get what Matt was saying; if you had celebrities it would have created more media buzz (but that would have been difficult for the CSA to do).

The best option would have simply been to photoshop Ben Massey's face to the back the heads of all the people in the picture! Best of all worlds.

Archived