Ayo Akinola

masster

24 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Boggles my mind AJH didn't play anywhere after the Impact, he'd have been the top striker in the CPL. Is there more to his story?

As far as I remember he became a DJ and back in 2021 he was on some party plane that got in trouble for being organized during Covid 

32 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Boggles my mind AJH didn't play anywhere after the Impact, he'd have been the top striker in the CPL. Is there more to his story?

I can't speak about anything on the personal side of things, but having watched him, I can confirm he just could not play 90 minutes.  His body just quit at 60min, he'd start walking and then pull up with cramps.  EVERY SINGLE TIME, I've never seen anything like it from a young guy.  I have no idea what the situation was on the training side, he looked very fit, but it was painfully obvious he could not go more than 60.  Talent was there, it's really unfortunate.

I'm sure he could have continued somewhere if wanted to, production was never a problem.  I assume he knew and understood his body just couldn't do it.

Or, maybe his head just wasn't into it, didn't take care of his body and diet well?  Nightlife?  Just speculating.  

Edited by costarg

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Looks like he got 25 minutes today.  Anybody able to relay how he did?  Fotmob gave him a team-low rating of 5.6 but it is hard for subs to get a ton of points unless they have a big impact so that can be misleading.  

He was used as an outlet as TFC parked the bus to keep the result intact, so it's not entirely fair to expect much out of him in those circumstances.

In the dying minutes he was sent in on a potential breakaway but wisely chose to slow down and head to the corner flag.

54 minutes ago, RS said:

He was used as an outlet as TFC parked the bus to keep the result intact, so it's not entirely fair to expect much out of him in those circumstances.

In the dying minutes he was sent in on a potential breakaway but wisely chose to slow down and head to the corner flag.

Basically this, but I think he could have tried a bit more to break away.

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Looks like he got 25 minutes today.  Anybody able to relay how he did?  Fotmob gave him a team-low rating of 5.6 but it is hard for subs to get a ton of points unless they have a big impact so that can be misleading.  

Had a 1 on 1 with the keeper. Completely missed the goal. Luckily for him the flag went up afterwards. He looked really poor.

14 hours ago, RS said:

I just though he was so out of gas. Had a chance at a breakaway and had zero desire to push his stamina. He is so poor. No way he will ever be part of CMNT moving forward. Had a whole off-season to change his fitness level and everything is the same.

12 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Had a 1 on 1 with the keeper. Completely missed the goal. Luckily for him the flag went up afterwards. He looked really poor.

I don't know.  Seemed to me he knew he was offside and half-hearted the ball towards goal knowing it wouldn't count.  Unfortunately, I don't think any of the 3 young Canucks subbed in (Akinola, Franklin, Thompson) showed much yesterday.

3 hours ago, Ivan said:

I don't know.  Seemed to me he knew he was offside and half-hearted the ball towards goal knowing it wouldn't count.  Unfortunately, I don't think any of the 3 young Canucks subbed in (Akinola, Franklin, Thompson) showed much yesterday.

Even the announcer said it was a half-hearted effort.

17 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

For context Fotmob has him as having lost the most duels in the game at 7.

I didn't watch the game, so I'm not necessarily saying it's the case here...

But, tactics-wise, when you are defending a lead and you're a forward, oftentimes the manager wants you to hurry/chase down defenders anytime they have possession of the ball. In that scenario, it wouldn't be unusual for ST's to have ugly "duels" numbers.  

34 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

As with all CMNT players, I wish Ayo the best. But at this point, there's no way he's even close to being selected again. You never know what can happen. He's only 24. But now is not the time. 

We have several attackers playing at higher level in Europe but it’s the promising young Strikers we have right now in MLS that put him even further off the roster.  I’d be taking a look at JRR, Tani, Kerr, Vilsaint etc. at this point over Akinola.  We even have some promising prospects in KSB and Afrifa I’d be considering.  It’s a shame because I had a soft spot for him committing to us after 50 caps for the US program but I just see several other strikers putting in the effort and trending in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Missed a sitter and takes 4-5 steps and just wipes out the keeper's legs. Idk. I just don't know. 

He’s too focused on drinking and partying and not enough on his fitness and game.  He loves the nightlife too much.  I hate bringing up personal life but it’s just painful at this point.  He’s out at clubs regularly, and then it’s frustrating to watch him play at this point.

Edited by Corazon