Ayo Akinola

masster

13 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

It really sucks to lose him due to that, same with Akinola if it happens. 

The US U17 team at the World Cup in 2019 was pretty terrible, even Reyna was for that tournament, and Odunze was about the only player who kept them afloat in a couple of the matches. At least he reflects the massive potential of Canadian soccer development.

I think we've almost certainly lost Odunze but have a strong chance with Akinola.

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

We simply didn't have a chance iirc? Circumstances transpired against us. He went to a Canada U15 camp or similar but his paperwork for Canada eligibility didn't come through in time then Caps sold him. I think there was noise that he would at least consider us but I don't think it was really our fault we lost him.

I wonder if the US federation would have been aware of Odunze if he had stayed at Calgary Foothills or another youth side that was not in the US Soccer Development Academy like the Whitecaps. All players have their country of birth registered on their individual USSDA webpage, including players of the three Canadian sides. Or maybe a Whitecaps coach communicated his eligibility to the USSF.

We do know they did not become aware of David's eligibility until it was too late and he was already tied at youth level to Canada. Odunze and Akinola went through the USSDA system while David did not and was off their radar until his breakthrough at Gent.

1 hour ago, Canadian Chuck said:

I wonder if the US federation would have been aware of Odunze if he had stayed at Calgary Foothills or another youth side that was not in the US Soccer Development Academy like the Whitecaps. All players have their country of birth registered on their individual USSDA webpage, including players of the three Canadian sides. Or maybe a Whitecaps coach communicated his eligibility to the USSF.

We do know they did not become aware of David's eligibility until it was too late and he was already tied at youth level to Canada. Odunze and Akinola went through the USSDA system while David did not and was off their radar until his breakthrough at Gent.

It’s a good question, if we had of taken Akinola they never would have known he was born in Detroit till it was too late.

It's a shocking indictment of our coaches/management when time and time again we have players coveted by nations better than us plucked from under our noses. Pathetic really. Luckily we've had a few come back (Corbeanu, Eustaquio) but others have been lost (Odunze, Yankov). 

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It's a shocking indictment of our coaches/management when time and time again we have players coveted by nations better than us plucked from under our noses. Pathetic really. Luckily we've had a few come back (Corbeanu, Eustaquio) but others have been lost (Odunze, Yankov). 

Onduze was lost because he wasn’t a citizen though, he just didn’t have his papers in time. That’s a government thing, Ballou and Davies heck probably David as well all missed tournies because of this. Akinola probably wasn’t immediately eligible for us when his time came around.

it’s a long process to become a citizen, none of them were citizens by birth. Akinola was homeless for a bit and probably didn’t get his papers till much later on. Davies didn’t get his until he was 16 and that was because the CSA intervened in the process and told the government that he would end up saving the national team from certain doom. 

id imagine David wasn’t able to attend right away and we know that Onduze didn’t get his papers until before/after he left. What we should ask, is if the CSA is in contact with him ? He’s one we haven’t heard of.

Edited by Dominic94

Two quick comments.

With David out (and as noted in his thread) it would be really interesting to know Ayo's injury status.  If he was ever healthy, it seems like a call and invitation from Herdman would be warranted.  He may not accept until he sees the results of this round but at minimum an informal check-in would be wise.

Also, just saw on wikipedia that his full name is Grant "Ayo" Jesus-Sultan-Akinola Ogundimu.  That is one helluva handle. 

Akinola's US chances drop more.

BSC Young Boys striker Jordan Siebatcheu, part of the 2019 U21 Euro pool for France, is called up for the first time to USMNT to replace Tim Weah. Siebatcheu was born by chance in Washington DC but raised entirely in France. He has scored 12 goals this season. BSC YB are first place in the Swiss Super League and made it to the Round of 16 in Europa League.

Edited by Canadian Chuck

11 minutes ago, Canadian Chuck said:

Akinola's US chances drop more.

BSC Young Boys striker Jordan Siebatcheu, part of the 2019 U21 Euro pool for France, is called up for the first time to USMNT to replace Tim Weah. Siebatcheu was born by chance in Washington DC but raised entirely in France. He has scored 12 goals this season. BSC YB are first place in the Swiss Super League and made it to the Round of 16 in Europa League.

Ayo has work to do to crack either team. He needs a very strong 2021 season.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Ayo has work to do to crack either team. He needs a very strong 2021 season.

He needs to make a decision now instead of playing each team against each other, make a decision either way then concentrate on having another good season or else he could be in a situation where whoever he picks neither of the national teams will want him . Make a decision then concentrate on continuing to get better . The way it’s going there are going to be a lot more talented strikers coming up on both national teams.

50 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

He needs to make a decision now instead of playing each team against each other, make a decision either way then concentrate on having another good season or else he could be in a situation where whoever he picks neither of the national teams will want him . Make a decision then concentrate on continuing to get better . The way it’s going there are going to be a lot more talented strikers coming up on both national teams.

More so USA, listen it’s not inconceivable that Akinola is better than Cavalini now,  another strong season and will we really have Akinola as the 4 ? I watched enough of both to question it. I don’t see why Akinola can’t be better than prime Jozy.

I think the curve on this guy might be better than we think, which is why I hope we get him. The US just has sheer numbers and wants everyone in case, the reality is Cavalini is at his peak as is Larin, the room for improvement is very narrow.

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

More so USA, listen it’s not inconceivable that Akinola is better than Cavalini now,  another strong season and will we really have Akinola as the 4 ? I watched enough of both to question it. I don’t see why Akinola can’t be better than prime Jozy.

I think the curve on this guy might be better than we think, which is why I hope we get him. The US just has sheer numbers and wants everyone in case, the reality is Cavalini is at his peak as is Larin, the room for improvement is very narrow.

Ya your right , well other than playing for those US youth teams and I think he played in a U17 and a U20 World Cup for the US, and ya playing in those age groups and actually playing in an actual youth World Cup is pretty good. However, he has spent  all his life growing up in Canada since like what one year old ? Spent playing all his youth soccer here and now is even playing pro soccer right in his city too. Hopefully in the end that will sway him. Other than those age group US national teams he really has no real connection to the US.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Ya your right , well other than playing for those US youth teams and I think he played in a U17 and a U20 World Cup for the US, and ya playing in those age groups and actually playing in an actual youth World Cup is pretty good. However, he has spent  all his life growing up in Canada since like what one year old ? Spent playing all his youth soccer here and now is even playing pro soccer right in his city too. Hopefully in the end that will sway him. Other than those age group US national teams he really has no real connection to the US.

Career wise and exposure wise like I get it, it’s your career. We don’t play and we don’t qualify enough to get our guys show cased.

until we do why play Canada youth ?

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-resumes-full-training-after-being-sidelined-by-covid-19-outbreak-1.1610822

TFC also confirmed that young striker Ayo Akinola, who has been sidelined by an undisclosed medical issue, has resumed running. He has a medical consultation scheduled for next week with the team hoping he will be given the green light to resume training.

20 hours ago, trc2014 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-resumes-full-training-after-being-sidelined-by-covid-19-outbreak-1.1610822

TFC also confirmed that young striker Ayo Akinola, who has been sidelined by an undisclosed medical issue, has resumed running. He has a medical consultation scheduled for next week with the team hoping he will be given the green light to resume training.

I think the time is right for CONCACAF to have an annual U21 tournament like UEFA does. It should be marketed like hockey with regards to the World Juniors. 

20 hours ago, toontownman said:

Convenient timing to not be included for the national team. 

The mystery continues..

Given the silence around it, it might be:

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-information/covid-19-long-haulers.html

That's my theory anyways.

It would also explain why no clear explanation was given for why he didn't attend Camp Poutine and why he seems to have been sick for so long.

Poor lad. :(

Urgh. Hope not for him. Have seen the long haul effects with lots of footballers though.

Going half glass full on the announcement, while it could be convenient for his decision it could be they want the info out to explain his absence and he is truly gutted not to be involved. We wait until June I guess. 

21 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Given the silence around it, it might be:

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-information/covid-19-long-haulers.html

That's my theory anyways.

It would also explain why no clear explanation was given for why he didn't attend Camp Poutine and why he seems to have been sick for so long.

Poor lad. :(

Sadly I think this might be it. Can only hope I'm wrong

20 hours ago, toontownman said:

Urgh. Hope not for him. Have seen the long haul effects with lots of footballers though.

Going half glass full on the announcement, while it could be convenient for his decision it could be they want the info out to explain his absence and he is truly gutted not to be involved. We wait until June I guess. 

It could be, Minnesota Wild prospect Marco Rossi is missing the year as he recovers from Covid. 

1) Whatever the future holds for him, I really hope he is on the mend from whatever it was that affected him.
2) There is no more youth football for him to play. It's either senior #CanMNT or senior #USMNT or bust.

and the senior #USMNT doesn't look likely when they have all their options available.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I wonder if he has long covid.

Hopefully not.

But surely we'll lose a few top notch footballers from this. All for the sake of not letting them stay safe.

Edited by nfitz