Ayo Akinola

masster

5 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

US Soccer has a clear goal and that's to be a top 10 nation(In terms of Fifa Rankings) by the time 2026 comes around. I remember seeing this I believe it was Fox Soccer who reported on it. 

Them becoming stronger will increase interest in America, interest increasing in America will increase interest in Canada. That's just how it is so I don't mind the USA becoming stronger. 

A consistent top 10 nation basically has all of their starting 11 as starters in top 5 clubs in top 5 leagues. Their second 11 are also playing in top 5 leagues but some maybe are starters for 2nd/3rd tier clubs or for UEFA Champions League clubs from the non top 5 leagues.

So, the US seems to able plug roster holes with dual nationals but beyond that, it is hard to see them becoming a consistent top 10 nation by 2026. Right now, they have about 5/6 players playing for top 5 clubs in top 5 leagues but not always regular starters.

Now for a given cycle, a nation can be top 10 due to a couple of generational talents and/or getting prep/tactics absolutely spot on. And there are exceptions for certain periods such as Mexico being in the top 10 currently without a complete starting 11 coming from the top 5 leagues - but ligaMX is close to being a top 10 league and they have a world class manager.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I can't recall how much they get per player, per game, but I know that the England players collectively donate their playing fees for the national team to charity. It's an easy thing to do when they're all millionaire Premier League players, though.

I wonder if they would consider the CSA a charity?!  Perhaps they would like to show some support of their Colonial offspring.

Maybe the FA could do us a solid and wave any fees for a match honouring the 210th anniversary of the War of 1812.  Great way to wrap up Covid.  Hell we could invite the Yanks and make it a mini tournament!

9 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

I wonder if they would consider the CSA a charity?!  Perhaps they would like to show some support of their Colonial offspring.

Maybe the FA could do us a solid and wave any fees for a match honouring the 210th anniversary of the War of 1812.  Great way to wrap up Covid.  Hell we could invite the Yanks and make it a mini tournament!

They don't seem to be doing us any favors when it came to OH and FT.

Tomori was a very low blow.  Playing the guy at the very end of a game that was wrapped up, 2 weeks after Southgate specifically said he wasn't calling up dual-nationals to get them cap tied.

1 hour ago, red card said:

A consistent top 10 nation basically has all of their starting 11 as starters in top 5 clubs in top 5 leagues. Their second 11 are also playing in top 5 leagues but some maybe are starters for 2nd/3rd tier clubs or for UEFA Champions League clubs from the non top 5 leagues.

So, the US seems to able plug roster holes with dual nationals but beyond that, it is hard to see them becoming a consistent top 10 nation by 2026. Right now, they have about 5/6 players playing for top 5 clubs in top 5 leagues but not always regular starters.

Now for a given cycle, a nation can be top 10 due to a couple of generational talents and/or getting prep/tactics absolutely spot on. And there are exceptions for certain periods such as Mexico being in the top 10 currently without a complete starting 11 coming from the top 5 leagues - but ligaMX is close to being a top 10 league and they have a world class manager.

I would imagine that Busio, Clark and Neyman will be joining that starter top 5 clubs and top 5 leagues shortly.

their goal isn’t u realistic. 5 years to have more players emerge: 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't want to detract from your main point, but I really want to jump in here quickly about Reynolds (and a few others).

I know Roma paid a lot of money for him, but to the best of my knowledge he hasn't played a single game yet. He hasn't even been named to the bench. Should we be putting him in the same category as Dest, who has played more-or-less regularly for Barcelona? Maybe I am ignorant because I haven't seen him play.

I have questions about Joe Scally as well. Again, take it with a grain of salt because I haven't watched him, but how many games has he played since joining Monchengladbach? Still early days and a lot can change, I know, but still...

A lot has to happen for Cannon to move to France. For starters he must impress in Portugal, which is hard to do as a defender playing for a relegation threatened team. 

For the foreseeable future it's Dest and everyone else......

RE: Reynolds, he was on their bench for their last Serie A match. Probably still behind Cannon for now, but Reynolds will eventually pass him and be the main backup to Dest. Antonee Robinson is a good player on the left but not necessarily great so if Reynolds one day becomes a starter for Roma they can move Dest to left back.

Regardless, Araujo will have an easier time breaking into Mexico long-term. In a sense he's the Akinola of USA right backs.

3 minutes ago, Canadian Chuck said:

RE: Reynolds, he was on their bench for their last Serie A match. Probably still behind Cannon for now, but Reynolds will eventually pass him and be the main backup to Dest. Antonee Robinson is a good player on the left but not necessarily great so if Reynolds one day becomes a starter for Roma they can move Dest to left back.

Regardless, Araujo will have an easier time breaking into Mexico long-term. In a sense he's the Akinola of USA right backs.

Good catch. I have been checking the Roma line-ups to see if and when he finally makes the bench. Must have slipped through my net. 

Nice step forward for Reynolds, as Roma is obviously a strong side, but they are no Barcelona. I still wouldn't put him in the same conversation as Dest until he can get a run in the team.

2 hours ago, costarg said:

They don't seem to be doing us any favors when it came to OH and FT.

Tomori was a very low blow.  Playing the guy at the very end of a game that was wrapped up, 2 weeks after Southgate specifically said he wasn't calling up dual-nationals to get them cap tied.

I really don't think US Soccer called in Teal Bunbury to prevent him from playing for Canada. I do think England has started to call in players .... not so much to prevent them from playing for other teams maliciously, although that's the effect .... but to avoid headlines about losing players to other countries. It's risky to say in the press, "We're loaded, we're going to lose players to smaller countries." So they just cap them to avoid any possibility of controversy. Jamaica has been obviously the biggest loser in this scenario. 

2 hours ago, One American said:

I really don't think US Soccer called in Teal Bunbury to prevent him from playing for Canada. I do think England has started to call in players .... not so much to prevent them from playing for other teams maliciously, although that's the effect .... but to avoid headlines about losing players to other countries. It's risky to say in the press, "We're loaded, we're going to lose players to smaller countries." So they just cap them to avoid any possibility of controversy. Jamaica has been obviously the biggest loser in this scenario. 

Maybe there is some fine distinction I am missing but this really seems like 2 sides of the same coin.  Capping players to prevent teams from acquiring them and capping players to avoid losing them to other countries - there isn’t a lot of daylight between those two things.  Either way, you are intentionally capping guys at an early opportunity who may or may not become part of your plans and the end result is you knowingly torpedo a certain percentage of international futures.  

Not saying it is super-offside or anything.  I have advocated capping guys who show a lot of promise as soon as they are willing to accept a call.   But I resist the idea that England has a more noble sort of motive. They are doing the same thing and know damn well what the impact may be on player careers.  Putting Tomori on with 2 minutes left in a game that was already decided is predatory and no amount of rationalization changes that.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

18 hours ago, red card said:

I could've misread the quote but I believe it was to be a top 10 nation by 2026 not consistently leading up to then but consistently afterwards, because you're right they don't have the quality at the moment and I can't see them getting to that level within the next 3-4 years but hey, you never know. 

The purpose of Dike's loan to the Championship was to put him in the European shop window and it certainly seems to be working. Good chance he'll be with a Premier League team by next season assuming he maintains his form in the Championship.

Ayo needs to pick Canada. Someone like Benji Michel hanging on to the US for now instead of switching to Haiti, at least I understand that because Michel was fully raised in the US.

Julia Poe is full of it and she has been from the beginning of this Dike loan. She’s pushing stories that have no factual basis and people are running with it. A $20 million release clause for Dike? This is just lunacy and to anyone who knows English football and Barnsley it’s just more hilarious. Barnsleys own CEO laughed at it yet MLS and Poe keep pushing it. Remember less than 3 years ago no MLS player had ever gone for $20 million .. also, Barnsley has never bought a player for close to that amount.

Larin was a more hyped and frankly better prospect at the same age and Orlando tried to play this big game in order to extort a high transfer fee. No PL club is coming in at $10 million for a guy with 20 pro matches. This same player fell to 3rd in the last draft - not saying that means a whole lot but just in context it’s not like he’s been this prospect hyped for years like Larin was.

I watched Dike a couple of weeks ago at QPR, he was quite good, scored a goal and was a constant threat, the manager subbed out all 3 forwards early, Barnsley play a super high press and there is lots of running required, I don't really have any idea if he could step up to another level!

On 3/11/2021 at 4:41 PM, narduch said:

He will get called to the Euros now that he is a starter for Milan

If he doesn’t get called, I would like to think he have a good shot at getting him. I honestly think it was idiot move on his part to choice England. He would be starting every game for Canada, he would be playing with a solid squad and a real good chance at a World Cup in 2022. Also CONCACAF has gotten better. I just wish Canada/CSA wasn’t so scared to play against the some of big boys with Canada’s A squad and really see where we are at. 

Edited by SpecialK

I don’t believe A top 6 club in the EPL want dike based on 1 season of MLS and his fee games in the championship. That’s lunacy, look at who their strikers are. 

however, I think Michel leaves for Haiti, and let’s not forget Malick Sanogo (spelling) is in his way up and should be their guy. He says USA all the way, he’s German trained and maybe they convince him... but right now he’s Rutty level minimum. 

Ayo’s time is limited with the US

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Julia Poe is full of it and she has been from the beginning of this Dike loan. She’s pushing stories that have no factual basis and people are running with it. A $20 million release clause for Dike? This is just lunacy and to anyone who knows English football and Barnsley it’s just more hilarious. Barnsleys own CEO laughed at it yet MLS and Poe keep pushing it. Remember less than 3 years ago no MLS player had ever gone for $20 million .. also, Barnsley has never bought a player for close to that amount.

Larin was a more hyped and frankly better prospect at the same age and Orlando tried to play this big game in order to extort a high transfer fee. No PL club is coming in at $10 million for a guy with 20 pro matches. This same player fell to 3rd in the last draft - not saying that means a whole lot but just in context it’s not like he’s been this prospect hyped for years like Larin was.

It was reported by BBC too - not just Poe.

i would disagree that Larin was a better prospect at same age. I said it on this page in the summer by Dike’s all around skills are quite good - and much further ahead of Larin’s at 20. And he’s proving it at a higher level. It would not surprise me at all if a PL team thought he was a bargain at $10M

Edited by Floortom

On 3/11/2021 at 9:10 PM, red card said:

This is true, I'd say, except for Argentina and Brazil, who often have players in the domestic leagues, like senior guys returning after a European carrer. Or the same with Netherlands, Portugal, who could have domestic league players. 

Even if we had our entire 11 playing in a second tier of Spain or England we'd be very tough. 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

It was reported by BBC too - not just Poe.

i would disagree that Larin was a better prospect at same age. I said it on this page in the summer by Dike’s all around skills are quite good - and much further ahead of Larin’s at 20. And he’s proving it at a higher level. It would not surprise me at all if a PL team thought he was a bargain at $10M

The BBC is running off Poe’s claim - no one else has claimed it. I think people are quick to forget how dominant Larin was in that 2015 season. 18 goals in 28 games vs Dike with 8 in 22. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

12 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The BBC is running off Poe’s claim - no one else has claimed it. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/56373222

not sure - this report seems to imply that the BBC confirmed it. “the BBC understands there has already been an approach from one of the big six Premier League”.

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think people are quick to forget how dominant Larin was in that 2015 season. 18 goals in 28 games vs Dike with 8 in 22. 

Larin showed good in the box scoring and poaching ability his first few years in Orlando for sure. But those Orlando teams were awful and Kaka was the main driver of any of their success. Larin has put in a lot of work the last few years and his other skills have clearly developed quite a bit seeing his success at Besiktas this year but he was quite raw as a youngster and didn’t offer much outside of pure finishing ability.

Dike is on a different level IMO - I saw him play for Orlando multiple times and have seen a few of his Barnsley performances and I think he is much further ahead of Larin at the same age. Only time will tell though. 

On 3/11/2021 at 9:07 AM, TFC2017 said:

US Soccer has a clear goal and that's to be a top 10 nation(In terms of Fifa Rankings) by the time 2026 comes around. I remember seeing this I believe it was Fox Soccer who reported on it. 

Them becoming stronger will increase interest in America, interest increasing in America will increase interest in Canada. That's just how it is so I don't mind the USA becoming stronger. 

This is very true. We would fully be on that rising tide. I think MLS will be a major factor when it comes to the USA and Canada pumping out consistent world class talents in the future. Like I have said before, 2023 is going to be key for MLS as all their media deals are expiring at the beginning of that season. I think they are going to make a power play move, a concentrated effort to go after multiple big name DPs, Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Suarez, Benzema, Hazard, etc to land a potential billion dollar a year deal and finally become a world class league. Once that happens, we're going to be seeing the exact same thing with this sport as we see with Canadians entering the NBA. CPL will also benefit massively as well.

12 minutes ago, Macksam said:

This is very true. We would fully be on that rising tide. I think MLS will be a major factor when it comes to the USA and Canada pumping out consistent world class talents in the future. Like I have said before, 2023 is going to be key for MLS as all their media deals are expiring at the beginning of that season. I think they are going to make a power play move, a concentrated effort to go after multiple big name DPs, Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Suarez, Benzema, Hazard, etc to land a potential billion dollar a year deal and finally become a world class league. Once that happens, we're going to be seeing the exact same thing with this sport as we see with Canadians entering the NBA. CPL will also benefit massively as well.

I tend to agree with this - though I do t know the details of the TV deal etc.  The reality is that the US houses the top leagues in the world for basketball, football and baseball - and a majority presence in hockey.  While soccer is clearly a different situation with elite leagues already long-established in Europe, there is no reason to think that MLS won’t continue to grow and join that elite group eventually.  When you think about where it started and where it is now, the trajectory is clear.  Canada maintaining 3 teams in the league will ultimately be pretty huge for us.