Ayo Akinola

masster

49 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I think he was a dual, they’re chasing the Arsenal guy. If they get him rip Ayo.

Even if he is, kid was born and raised in the USA (just moved to Germany in 2019 I believe), so it would be shocking if he chose not to represent the USA

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I've said it before, but I think it is pretty clear that Wheeler is getting info from someone involved with the MNT program, possibly from Herdman himself. I think they selectively release info to Wheeler/OneSoccer, so when Wheeler says something like this I think it is more than just mere speculation/gut feeling.

Now, obviously we saw with Yankov that this intel isn't infallible, but I don't think it was a case of Wheeler speculating something and relaying it as fact and being wrong. I think that was a case of the MNT thought Yankov was committed and he decided to then go with Bulgaria. Either they misinterpreted what he said, or he played us, but that's my guess as to what happened.

I agree, I’ve said the same thing before as well.

People are acting like Wheeler is just making shit up out of nowhere. As it stands, Yankov is the only one that he “misinformed”. I still think there’s smoke there....March will tell.

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

People are acting like Wheeler is just making shit up out of nowhere. As it stands, Yankov is the only one that he “misinformed”. I still think there’s smoke there....March will tell.

We’ve established that Bulgaria called Yankov to avoid losing him. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I think the smoke is that Ayo didnt show at this camp.  And you would think Wheeler would learn not to do the old "wink wink" routine until a guy is capped.  Its not like this didnt just bite him on the ass a month ago.  

27 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I think the smoke is that Ayo didnt show at this camp.  And you would think Wheeler would learn not to do the old "wink wink" routine until a guy is capped.  Its not like this didnt just bite him on the ass a month ago.  

I agree with this. Despite what I said earlier, even though I think Wheeler's source is from the team, I don't understand why they are so cavalier about the info they leak.

Jeepers, we even saw a Sportsnet employee report that the Blue Jays signed Michael Brantley which turned out to be incorrect. I don't understand being "first" when everyone gets the same info soon after, anyway. 

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

And you would think Wheeler would learn not to do the old "wink wink" routine until a guy is capped.

Why would he need to do a "wink wink" routine when a guy is already capped? That makes no sense. 

There's an inherent risk in reporting this kind of stuff. Do it enough and you'll eventually get burned. It happens all the time, but that doesn't mean it should stop.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Just as long as Wheels reporting this and that doesnt facilitate us losing someone, which it might have done with Yankov.  

I’ll disagree. Yankov  basically said whoever comes knocking first, I will answer. To me that’s exactly what happened.

Meaning this was a result of not playing games, and he plays in the country that called him up to play. Was he supposed to hold out till March, in hope of a call up that shouldn’t be guaranteed considering it will be our first game in 16 months and our midfield is already clogged.

Wheeler has done no wrong.

Wheeler made it sound like it was a done deal on Onessoccer (supposedly from Herdman) and Bulgaria wasted no time in calling the bluff and offering him a cap before we could.  Whether that was Yankov's plan all along to pressure someone to calling him by creating a "bidding war" over him is unclear.  But would they have called him up if there wasnt CDN journos claiming he was going to be lost to them very soon??  Anyways...similar talk about Ayo and BOOM, he skips our camp.  I hope its all coincedence.

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Wheeler made it sound like it was a done deal on Onessoccer (supposedly from Herdman) and Bulgaria wasted no time in calling the bluff and offering him a cap before we could.  Whether that was Yankov's plan all along to pressure someone to calling him by creating a "bidding war" over him is unclear.  But would they have called him up if there wasnt CDN journos claiming he was going to be lost to them very soon??  Anyways...similar talk about Ayo and BOOM, he skips our camp.  I hope its all coincedence.

In Ayo’a case he’s not a lock for their team though. Yankov is no ?

16 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Yankov was a last minute replacement for an injured Bulgarian player. It had nothing to do with calling a bluff. 

Edited by Obinna

Yankov was called up and hass played in 3 of the 6 games since his first callup.  I believe he missed two of the senior games to play for the U21's as well.  So playing in 3 of 4 available games for the senior team to date since commiting.  Yes, he was likely called up in part to the threat of Canada but it also looks clear that they intend to use Yankov at least in the short term.  It wasn't a 5 minute cameo and then nothing for 16 months like Tomori with England.

Speaking of Tomori.  Not sure if anyone has noticed but Cristante has become a center back for Roma.  I'm not sure how serious the Cristante to Canada rumours were and even still he still might be favoured to play as a central midfielder for Canada.  But given our depth in midfield, imagine a tandem of Cristante and Tomori at center backs for Canada right now.

Back to Ayo - Not saying he isn't injured but he is currently in Toronto and may be playing/watching local pickup.

Although not attending our camp definitely hurts, I don't necessarily think it means he is going to select USA.  At full strength he most likely isn't in USA senior 23 man squad, whereas he is likely our current 3rd/4th option up top currently.

He may be waiting still and perhaps still wants to play for USA Olympic squad before switching.

6 hours ago, Corazon said:

Yankov was called up and hass played in 3 of the 6 games since his first callup.  I believe he missed two of the senior games to play for the U21's as well.  So playing in 3 of 4 available games for the senior team to date since commiting.  Yes, he was likely called up in part to the threat of Canada but it also looks clear that they intend to use Yankov at least in the short term.  It wasn't a 5 minute cameo and then nothing for 16 months like Tomori with England.

Speaking of Tomori.  Not sure if anyone has noticed but Cristante has become a center back for Roma.  I'm not sure how serious the Cristante to Canada rumours were and even still he still might be favoured to play as a central midfielder for Canada.  But given our depth in midfield, imagine a tandem of Cristante and Tomori at center backs for Canada right now.

Tomori and Cristante as CB's... we can only dream of that kind of quality.  These dual-national situations are kiling me, harder to get over than many relationships.

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

We can’t get upset that journalists don’t cover Canadian soccer enough, then get upset at Canadian journalists for covering Canadian soccer. IF he was told on the record by a reliable source that Yankov was coming, of course he’s going to report it.

Wheeler: You going to that party on Saturday at Canada's house?
Yankov: Yeah man, I'll be there. Should be awesome.
Wheeler: Cool man, I don't know many of the people there, will be good to have someone to talk to. See you there.
Yankov: Yeah, for sure.

Later that day...

Voyageurs: Hey Wheeler, how's it going? Do you know anybody going to this party on Saturday?
Wheeler: Yeah, Yankov told me his coming.
Voyageurs: Oh cool, that guy is hilarious. Looking forward to it.

Saturday afternoon...

Yankov: Sorry to do this last minute, but I'm going to have to cancel. Something came up.
Voyageurs: Dammit Wheeler, you are so untrustworthy! Why did you tell us Yankov was coming!?!?

Probably ahead of Akinola in the US U23 depth:

Matthew Hoppe

Josh Sargent

About even with Akinola in the US U23 depth:

Daryl Dike

Sebastian Soto

Nicholas Gioacchini

Haji Wright

Two European dual-nat strikers the US is trying to recruit; unclear if it will happen:

Folarin Balogun (call-ups to England U20 and US U18)

Malick Sanogo (call-ups to Germany U17 and US U17)

As has been mentioned, none of these options are better than David. The closest may be Hoppe who per minute has clearly shown more in the Bundesliga than Sargent. USA has more depth of competition while Canada has the top competitor in David. So although Akinola would be an automatic Canada call-up (at least for the bench), it's not crazy for Akinola to think he has at least some chance to be the starting US #9 and get to be in a lineup with Pulisic, Reyna, Musah, McKennie, Adams, Dest, Robinson, Brooks, Miazga, Steffen. The USMNT started Akinola at the 9 in their December domestic camp. Also have to think his fifty US youth caps factors in. He has a limited connection to the nation but a deep connection to the soccer program, so if the USSF makes a strong push he may go with them.

USA plays senior friendlies and U23 Olympic qualifiers in March, so Akinola will remain Canada-eligible until at least summer.