Ayo Akinola

masster

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I think Ayo has the potential to at least be as good as Cavallini in his prime, or perhaps start pushing him before then. I compare the two because they are the two more similar ones, while Larin and David can take on different roles.

Agreed, I think another stronger season or even a stronger start than Lucas and we’re asking questions. 

We currently don’t have many prospects going forward who are strikers, the future right now really is David and Peruzza, maybe Lowell Wright and Hugo Mbongue. 

Millar and Dias are competent up top, but not preferred.

Akinola should be a Turkish league caliber player in his peak at minimum from what I’ve see and that would be a very nice option to have off the bench or alongside David.

Dike now has 7 goals in 800 minutes in the English Championship which is one of the best scoring rates in the league. He is outplaying most if not all England U21 pool forwards who are based in the Championship. Pretty unique from an eye test too with his blend of power and skill. Seems bound for the Premier League whether getting sold to a different club or if Barnsley earn promotion. Of course he still needs to prove himself at that top level.

My hunch says for the USA's long term Dike and Sargent battle it out as #s 1 and 2, Siebatcheu fills the Zardes serviceable veteran role, Hoppe is fourth-string insurance, and Weah becomes mainly a winger as backup to Pulisic and Reyna. Folarin Balogun is a realistic option too given England's depth. Again just no room for Ayo in any real capacity.

As someone else posted I find it unlikely Ayo will actively cap-tie himself to the US within the next year. Either he goes with Canada or he keeps both doors open. For the sake of his international playing time it would truly be a poor idea for Ayo to tie himself to the US now if he receives a carrot-stick invite to Nations League or Gold Cup, and hopefully he realizes that.

33 minutes ago, Canadian Chuck said:

Dike now has 7 goals in 800 minutes in the English Championship which is one of the best scoring rates in the league. He is outplaying most if not all England U21 pool forwards who are based in the Championship. Pretty unique from an eye test too with his blend of power and skill. Seems bound for the Premier League whether getting sold to a different club or if Barnsley earn promotion. Of course he still needs to prove himself at that top level.

My hunch says for the USA's long term Dike and Sargent battle it out as #s 1 and 2, Siebatcheu fills the Zardes serviceable veteran role, Hoppe is fourth-string insurance, and Weah becomes mainly a winger as backup to Pulisic and Reyna. Folarin Balogun is a realistic option too given England's depth. Again just no room for Ayo in any real capacity.

As someone else posted I find it unlikely Ayo will actively cap-tie himself to the US within the next year. Either he goes with Canada or he keeps both doors open. For the sake of his international playing time it would truly be a poor idea for Ayo to tie himself to the US now if he receives a carrot-stick invite to Nations League or Gold Cup, and hopefully he realizes that.

I agree with most saying Ayo's path will be difficult, but he's young, powerful and has a nose for goal.  One more good season and transfer to EU talks and we'll all be back on the bandwagon.  Regardless of the competition, the US is still trying to cap tie him.  They won't just let him go that easily. 

His biggest hurdle is he's at TFC, and they just love to hoard young players, which doesn't really help with their development.  Dike's loan is the best thing that could've happened to him.

10 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Maybe he'd rather be a backup on a World Cup squad than a starter on a more fringe team?

Right now he is not particularly close to being even a backup for the US, and we have a shot at qualifying. A lot of competition in the US pool with Europe-based options. Right now, at best, Ayo is just outside the top five for them given Dike, Sargent, Siebatcheu, Hoppe, Weah.

That said you are not wrong that it is possible the belief he can elevate himself to be a backup on that US squad could prevent him from committing to Canada in the near future. Trying to push his limits with the US for a few years more while having us as a fallback instead of just committing to us.

14 hours ago, Canadian Chuck said:

Could Dike still play for Nigeria ?

14 hours ago, costarg said:

I agree with most saying Ayo's path will be difficult, but he's young, powerful and has a nose for goal.  One more good season and transfer to EU talks and we'll all be back on the bandwagon.  Regardless of the competition, the US is still trying to cap tie him.  They won't just let him go that easily. 

His biggest hurdle is he's at TFC, and they just love to hoard young players, which doesn't really help with their development.  Dike's loan is the best thing that could've happened to him.

Didn’t you hear ? The play the kids movement has started.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Didn’t you hear ? The play the kids movement has started.

I did notice Mullins and Dorsey getting on the field, would have been nice to see Perruza and Nelsen (i know he didnt make the bench). But I guess its a start.  

Considering Okello, Priso and Shaffelburg started in an important match and Fraser and Singh came on, I think the kids had a pretty good outing.  I suspect Nelson, Rutty and Perruzza will all get minutes in the not too distant future.  Interesting that Singh was preferred over Dunn (unless the latter was one of the guys with Covid).

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

Considering Okello, Priso and Shaffelburg started in an important match and Fraser and Singh came on, I think the kids had a pretty good outing.  I suspect Nelson, Rutty and Perruzza will all get minutes in the not too distant future.  Interesting that Singh was preferred over Dunn (unless the latter was one of the guys with Covid).

Neither Dunn nor Mavinga were available for this game.  Toronto FC only had 2 outside backs and 2 center backs available for today's game which is why Singh was signed to a short term contract and why he featured.  Singh signed only a 4 day contract so I suspect that either Dunn or Mavinga or both will be available for the return leg.

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I did notice Mullins and Dorsey getting on the field, would have been nice to see Perruza and Nelsen (i know he didnt make the bench). But I guess its a start.  

I'm not a fan but I thought Mullins did really well last night, maybe I have low expectations for him, he did seem useful holding the ball up and drawing fouls to relieve the constant pressure TFC were under, in saying this if Jozy is done again and Akinola is still crocked TFC will struggle offensively from the striker spot, it might open some minutes up for Perruza!

12 hours ago, Canadian Chuck said:

Trying to push his limits with the US for a few years more while having us as a fallback instead of just committing to us.

For me personally having us as a "fallback" doesn't cut it. If you only want to wear the Maple Leaf on your chest only when nobody else wants you (or it would be good for your club career) well then I don't want you either. There SHOULD be PRIDE and HONOR when playing for your country(especially if you lived here most of your life). Anyways that's how I feel.

Waiting for the usual replies.

Edited by MtlMario

8 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Could Dike still play for Nigeria ?

It appears yes because Dike has only played in friendlies. But that seems unlikely since he is #1 or 2 for the US, and Nigeria are deeper than US at striker with Iheanacho, Osimhen, and Onuachu. The first two are starters for Leicester and Napoli while Onuachu leads the Belgian league in goals. Nigeria have striker depth to be envious of -- better than the US's.

25 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

For me personally having us as a "fallback" doesn't cut it. If you only want to wear the Maple Leaf on your chest only when nobody else wants you (or it would be good for your club career) well then I don't want you either. There SHOULD be PRIDE and HONOR when playing for your country(especially if you lived here most of your life). Anyways that's how I feel.

Waiting for the usual replies.

I love the sentiment, and used to wear this blood-red jersey as well, but for this position to really hold water you also have to be willing to shut the door on players like Vitoria, Hoilett, Arfield.

Similarly, if a guy like Flores or Dias explodes over the next year and becomes a generational talent, are we willing to force them to commit fully and early or hit the road?

Edited by nolando

21 minutes ago, nolando said:

I love the sentiment, and used to wear this blood-red jersey as well, but to for this position to really hold water you also have to be willing to shut the door on players on players like Vitoria, Hoilett, Arfield.

Similarly, if a guy like Flores or Dias explodes over the next year and becomes a generational talent, are we willing to force them to commit fully and early or hit the road?

That's what I meant with "waiting for the usual replies". Answer. Commit early.

I don't see why we have to shut the door on Victoria, Arfield etc. We are following FIFA rules and if it makes our team better why not. I would accept Messi and Ronaldo too if it was possible. This a CDN fan thread after all.

Edited by MtlMario

We obviously don't know for sure what Ayo feels at the moment. But healthy or not, it would be nice to soon hear some thought on how he leans.

The longer this drags out or he waffles on a decision or reportedly "keeps the doors open to both," the more likely it is he is trying to push his luck with the USMNT. He has over 50 youth caps and a senior friendly debut/goal for them and the relationships with US youth teammates he went through all the ranks with who are now on their senior team. So he may feel a fairly deep connection to the US Soccer program even if a superficial connection to the nation itself.

The USMNT striker depth is enough that Ayo would almost certainly have no real long-term role if he committed to them. But in general, the rate of players switching after a senior debut is low, and the ones that do don't do it soon after. So it wouldn't be surprising at all if we have to wait a few years.

....and then if he commits to us (not US) he'll say how he's proud and honored to play for Canada.😎

11 minutes ago, Canadian Chuck said:

We obviously don't know for sure what Ayo feels at the moment. But healthy or not, it would be nice to soon hear some thought on how he leans.

The longer this drags out or he waffles on a decision or reportedly "keeps the doors open to both," the more likely it is he is trying to push his luck with the USMNT. He has over 50 youth caps and a senior friendly debut/goal for them and the relationships with US youth teammates he went through all the ranks with who are now on their senior team. So he may feel a fairly deep connection to the US Soccer program even if a superficial connection to the nation itself.

The USMNT striker depth is enough that Ayo would almost certainly have no real long-term role if he committed to them. But in general, the rate of players switching after a senior debut is low, and the ones that do don't do it soon after. So it wouldn't be surprising at all if we have to wait a few years.

With Cyle Larin and Lucas Cavallini netting hattricks last window, Corbeanu coming off a steller debut for Canada, and Jonathan David proving to be the hottest young forward in Ligue 1 right now, does anyone else feel that Ayo is kind of a "nice to have"?

Don't get me wrong, because I absolutely want him to play for us, and I love his potential, but it just doesn't feel like our chances depend on him right now. His path to get minutes with Canada for me is not clear. The Gold Cup will be a "B" tournament from our perspective, so perhaps that's his chance, but our fortunes don't exactly hinge on him being available for June WCQ. 

Anyways, I would probably feel different if he was playing and scoring, but he's not, so it's easy to see it that way until he gets back on the field and reminds us why we all rate him so highly. 

Just now, Obinna said:

With Cyle Larin and Lucas Cavallini netting hattricks last window, Corbeanu coming off a steller debut for Canada, and Jonathan David proving to be the hottest young forward in Ligue 1 right now, does anyone else feel that Ayo is kind of a "nice to have"?

Don't get me wrong, because I absolutely want him to play for us, and I love his potential, but it just doesn't feel like our chances depend on him right now. His path to get minutes with Canada for me is not clear. The Gold Cup will be a "B" tournament from our perspective, so perhaps that's his chance, but our fortunes don't exactly hinge on him being available for June WCQ. 

Anyways, I would probably feel different if he was playing and scoring, but he's not, so it's easy to see it that way until he gets back on the field and reminds us why we all rate him so highly. 

Larin's best position isn't as a number 9, Cavallini's is but a hat trick against a national Sunday league team isn't much to write home about and if Vancouver can't get it together his play will suffer, David's best position isn't as a 9 but he's the second best 9 in the region, and Corbeanu isn't a 9 either.

He's our 3rd best 9 and another successful MLS campaign where he gets to double digits will probably put him on par with Cavallini, or close enough that him being 8 years younger makes him more important.