Ranking Our Top 5 Prospects/Young Players

Bully

Long term, Hamilton is the guy TFC should be focused on. Dike has played a grand total of 40 games in 4 years, and has suffered a torn ACL and a torn achilles in the last 18 months. 

Dike may have been a better player in February, but another big injury suffered plus Hamilton bagging goals at 1 per 90 minutes in USL right now means he's the better option.

Actually I'm sort of sad about Dike.  I think he was better than Odura, Weideman, and honestly Gilberto as well, I truly feel he would have played himself into a Defoe partnership if he had the chance to do so.  Oh well...

That said, who knows how good ANYONE is when they get back from injury.  

I was at the TFC match tonight and all of the Canadians put in a good show! Hamilton was a threat from the minute he stepped on the pitch and his goal was spectacular, he celebrated it well in front of the supporters! The future is bright for a bunch of these lads if they can get some playing time, sadly TFC is not the place for them as it's being stocked with journeyman Americans by our American executives, time for some of these lads to move on if they can!

Hamilton impressed me last night. I like what tfc did by partnering with Wilmington. Otherwise Hamilton would have been stuck to the bench all year and he's clearly too good for league1 Ontario. Hopefully now tfc can bring him up and play him, if not keep him in Wilmington for the rest of the year.

I was at the TFC match tonight and all of the Canadians put in a good show! Hamilton was a threat from the minute he stepped on the pitch and his goal was spectacular, he celebrated it well in front of the supporters! The future is bright for a bunch of these lads if they can get some playing time, sadly TFC is not the place for them as it's being stocked with journeyman Americans by our American executives, time for some of these lads to move on if they can!

Sadly the top flight club with the most domestic content in this country is going to continue to lose their top prospects because of the fact that these Americans are bringing in journeymen.  How stupid does TFC look now with Petrasso at QPR LOL... He would probably be a starter on TFC, from Toronto and only 18 years old.. a marketers dream on a cheap salary, I know i would be rocking a Petrasso kit!  Great development though, let's just draft another 23 year old from the States.

Edited by Keegan

Sadly the top flight club with the most domestic content in this country is going to continue to lose their top prospects because of the fact that these Americans are bringing in journeymen.  How stupid does TFC look now with Petrasso at QPR LOL... He would probably be a starter on TFC, from Toronto and only 18 years old.. a marketers dream on a cheap salary, I know i would be rocking a Petrasso kit!  Great development though, let's just draft another 23 year old from the States.

TFC wanted to keep Petrasso, but he, Aleman and Carreiro did not want to sign letters of commitment to the club. Also, current management cannot be blamed for that as they were not the ones in charge. 

I understand that we are on a National team forum, and our view is usually Country > Club, but you need to understand it is not TFC's sole responsibility to employ our National team players and develop for us. They are an MLS team, competing in MLS first and foremost. Their main goal should be to win. TFC do a good job of giving Canadian players a chance to play, by this I mean they have a number of them on the squad and they all have the chance to win a spot. Some players like Henry and Osorio have played well and get regular minutes, others like Morgan, Bekker and DeRo have not been so convincing or have good players ahead of them, they shouldn't be given a spot if they don't deserve it, it's not fair to the fans.

This has been the major failure of MLS in Canada.

Of course the fans don't care so it will continue. Its far easier to denigrate Canada and Canadian players. Canada sucks at soccer, why should our teams have Canadians on them?

Edited by narduch

I agree with you Brad.  The fact is though that the CSA sanctioned TFC to compete in an American league so yes they do have an obligation toward our national team.  I want TFC to win first and foremost but is a guy like Ryan Richter really better than Mason Trafford?  I'd just like to see the holes on the team filled with Canadians, not journey men dime dozen US players.  I'm not saying they should be guaranteed time... no one should be, that doesn't develop you.  Nana Attakora should be sitting on TFC's bench instead of Gale Agboussomonde, yet another over hyped American (I understand he's gone I'm just making an example).  Kyle Porter should be on the TFC bench instead of Andrew Wiedeman, he's younger, Canadian and simply a better player... Just moves that make sense.  Give me Michael Bradley, Justin Morrow, Nick Hagglund, Joe Bendik, Collen Warner but some of the guys are just over kill.

Unless an international is a bonafide MLS player he shouldn't be on TFC.  Period.  Take chances on Canadians, not on journey men US players.. all I'm saying.

I agree with you Brad.  The fact is though that the CSA sanctioned TFC to compete in an American league so yes they do have an obligation toward our national team.  I want TFC to win first and foremost but is a guy like Ryan Richter really better than Mason Trafford?  I'd just like to see the holes on the team filled with Canadians, not journey men dime dozen US players.  I'm not saying they should be guaranteed time... no one should be, that doesn't develop you.  Nana Attakora should be sitting on TFC's bench instead of Gale Agboussomonde, yet another over hyped American (I understand he's gone I'm just making an example).  Kyle Porter should be on the TFC bench instead of Andrew Wiedeman, he's younger, Canadian and simply a better player... Just moves that make sense.  Give me Michael Bradley, Justin Morrow, Nick Hagglund, Joe Bendik, Collen Warner but some of the guys are just over kill.

Unless an international is a bonafide MLS player he shouldn't be on TFC.  Period.  Take chances on Canadians, not on journey men US players.. all I'm saying.

While that would be ideal, but you're assuming guys like Mason Trafford want to get payed league minimum to sit on a bench all year, you're also assuming TFC don't offer these players trials and get turned down. You're also missing a major point in that Canadian players are less valuable and flexible in MLS as they count as internationals to most teams in the league and would be more difficult to trade if TFC needed to make moves. This is what unfortunately makes the journey men the safer move. Also I have to say that just because the CSA sanctioned TFC doesn't really mean they owe them all that much, what was the CSA alternative... No pro teams, and no BMO field or KIA training center. In a perfect world we would have all of our MLS teams completely filled with Canadian teams and winning, but that's just not reality right now. When we get to a point where we don't need trade flexibility, and have enough useful Canadian's WILLING to play for TFC, I will be 100% on board with you but right now it's not realistic to expect all this from TFC.

But to turn this debate on its head a little bit I would be completely in favor of throwing ridiculous cash at Atiba to bring him to Toronto next year, assuming the MLS allows more DPs to go along with this CBA.

I really would like to like this post, but it won't let me. 

(sigh) If all three Canadian clubs did this from the time they entered into MLS, how much better off might our program be, could there have been a break out player or two?

One has to wonder.

TFC wanted to keep Petrasso, but he, Aleman and Carreiro did not want to sign letters of commitment to the club. Also, current management cannot be blamed for that as they were not the ones in charge. 

Certainly can't blame the current management, but the letter of commitment was one of the dumber schemes dreamed up by TFC front office.  I can practically guarantee that legally it wouldn't have held up in court, but regardless it basically said "we give you nothing, but you give us the exclusive right to sign you".  The kids - to their credit - looked at what other teams were offering them, which was the same or arguably better training with no crazy conditions attached, and talked away from TFC.  

If I was writing a textbook on how not to negotiate, I might use this as an example. 

I want TFC to win first and foremost but is a guy like Ryan Richter really better than Mason Trafford?

Well they're both playing for the Ottawa Fury, so that's something.

To be honest, does it really make a difference if Porter and Attakora ride the pine at TFC rather than D.C.? The goal should be getting more Canadians into the league as a whole (and actually playing!), not pining for Canadians to take up the back end of the rosters on the three MLS teams in this country.

To be honest, does it really make a difference if Porter and Attakora ride the pine at TFC rather than D.C.? The goal should be getting more Canadians into the league as a whole (and actually playing!), not pining for Canadians to take up the back end of the rosters on the three MLS teams in this country.

Agreed.  We're not getting to the Hex, let alone the World Cup, with journeymen bench warmers.  

If you told me a few years ago that Attakora would be in this playing situation today I would have been very surprised.

As for the Spurs' friendly, Roberts has improved over what I saw of him at the Mickey Mouse classic (mainly in presence).  Hamilton's movement, physique (perhaps a little shorter), and appearance remind me of this guy: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb3-X3PNZW8

(okay, a lot over the top, but it's nice to have some dreams to hope for!)

Of course that's the goal, no one in their right mind has the idea of having Canadians on the bench and making the World Cup.  We need to walk before we can run though, we can't expect to go from no Canadian content to Canadians filling the XI.  One thing is for sure, if you're not on the roster to begin with you have no chance of seeing the field.  A guy like Bloom for instance got a chance and ran with it, to be honest he isn't really a good footballer but he has filled a role... imagine if a Canadian did that instead.. suddenly we have our starting right back.

Edited by Keegan

A guy like Bloom for instance got a chance and ran with it, to be honest he isn't really a good footballer but he has filled a role... imagine if a Canadian did that instead.. suddenly we have our starting right back.

With all due respect we need guys better than the equivalent of Ledgerwood starting at RB.