Ranking Our Top 5 Prospects/Young Players

Bully

I would wait until Aird and Petrasso are playing at a better level before declaring them to be too good.

Julian Green plays at an even lower level and apparently he is good enough to make your WC team over Donovan.

I'm not even pulling for the Americans and even that move infuriated me.  If I was a US fan I would have pulled my hair out at that selection.  But clearly the States made a deal with Green that if he switched he was guaranteed to make it because if we're being honest he looked like a 4th division player against Mexico.

Edited by Keegan

I would wait until Aird and Petrasso are playing at a better level before declaring them to be too good.

Yeah but this is a top prospects thread.  So it has to be a little about predictions.  If they are already playing well at a high level, then in my mind they aren't prospects anymore, they are current stars.  Defeats the purpose and intent of the thread, in my mind.

Yeah but this is a top prospects thread.  So it has to be a little about predictions.  If they are already playing well at a high level, then in my mind they aren't prospects anymore, they are current stars.  Defeats the purpose and intent of the thread, in my mind.

No, that's fair. But sometimes around here.( I've lurked for a long time) I think you can undervalue what's in front of you in MLS in favor of more traditional leagues in Europe. Happens to Americans also.  

That might be true however the way I read One American's post was in reference to people around here and how they evaluate players.  Seeing someone day in and day out allows you to see (and focus on) their flaws while hearing third hand that so and so got playing time and didn't do too badly in League X gets people here excited.

If Championship = MLS in terms of skill level (big assumption, I know), we would be over the moon about Osorio, Bekker, Henry, Teibert, and Ouimette if they were getting the same amount of playing time with Championship teams.

That might be true however the way I read One American's post was in reference to people around here and how they evaluate players.  Seeing someone day in and day out allows you to see (and focus on) their flaws while hearing third hand that so and so got playing time and didn't do too badly in League X gets people here excited.

If Championship = MLS in terms of skill level (big assumption, I know), we would be over the moon about Osorio, Bekker, Henry, Teibert, and Ouimette if they were getting the same amount of playing time with Championship teams.

Fair enough, but a lot of people picked Boakai.  I watch him day in day out, (as much as I can anyway, it's not like he starts every game) and he's still something special.  If the QPR guys are talking the same about Petrasso, hopefully we get a couple special guys come up.

Edited by madmonte

Re Petrasso:      So far he looks like he could be, he's still young though but I think a lot of us QPR fans thought he should have been getting in to the full side last season! I did watch a few of his matches in the reserves and he was often the best man on the pitch, his loan spells in to League One sides went quite well and had to be great for his development! It will be interesting to see if he fits in to Harry's plans in the coming EPL season, I suspect he'll probably go out on loan to maybe Championship sides this time, I just hope he gets a fair shot at cracking the roster because I think he might be good enough now!

Edited by gator

Well, I would just say that players who can be successful at the CONCACAF level have it in them to play consistently at a higher level than 3rd and 4th divisions In Europe and will probably eventually do so.

Meanwhile, you seem to be watching the bulk of the CMNT unfolding before your eyes in MLS in the past two years or so.

A guy like Piette needs to find a first team at a respectable level, maybe MLS, and start playing game in and game out.

I like Haber, I think he would be on the fringe and at least in my top 10.  Too bad his Cypriot club signed a former czech international striker this summer though and bought another striker from Nice who was on loan with them last season.  The third striker on the roster scored 18 goals for them last year,,, tough competition.

Might have to move on again to get playing time, too bad.

So what? It's not like FIFA will change the rules to screw us again, right?

I didn't say I had a problem with it.  Reading too much into my comment. You do a lot of that, no offence intended.  Hell, I myself was cheering for Costa Rica a bit there, it's infectious, and I've said in other threads that I'm sort of cheering for CONCACAF nations as a whole, if only because it brings a little more respectability to the region that Canada is in.  

Edited by madmonte

• 4 weeks later...