Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Think Cavallini being on board, and staying on-board for the foreseeable future, buys Ozzie a lot of street credit to my mind.  He may just be the most important piece that's been missing from our attacking puzzle.  Especially if Davies can rise to the challenge and our attacking assets can work together to get Hoilette a little more space & time just in behind the attack, not to mention the midfield "raiders".   

I think Cavallini up front has the goods to give CONCRAP defenses pause for thought, and that alone changes everything a lot of these teams coming to the Gold Cup where thinking about Canada.  Give them a chance, I think this mix can completely change our team dynamic in attack.           

I was looking at this more carefully, and all it is, is a guy who follows Tenerife, and other teams' signings, who writes for a Tenerife newspaper, hearing from a source in Uruguay, that is all. 

It is true, from what I have seen, that they are looking for strikers, or a "media punta", to play behind the strikers. 

The fan boards all recall that his teammate Maxi Pérez at Fenix was at Tenerife. And all say that if he plays for Peñarol he could not be a "paquete" (a bulky package, funny insult) or a "tronco", a trunk, also not a good thing (heavy and slow). Most also believe that the team will sign a foreigner as they can't believe they'll play the whole season with three Spanish guys up front, by what they know about their sports director doing the signings.

I suppose with him playing GC and the risk of his value rising, they are staying quiet about things. Though I would imagine, from a Peñarol perspective, that you would wait to see how he does the rest of the tournament before mistakingly selling or loaning him undervalue. So both benefit from not making noise and drawing attention to him.

He needs to score and for that he needs better service than he got last game. I wasn't sure about his frustration about Davies' pass in the first half but I sympathize more now...considering the opposition, he should have been presented with better opportunities. Hopefully this will come as the team gels, I think we have players with the skill set to spring him. I just want him to get at least one opportunity as good as Larin or Ricketts have spurned over the years and see what he does with it. 

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Keep up the great hold up play, fire and passion. Time for you to get revenge and punish Honduras tomorrow, make it happen!

Also go back to Uruguay and send them a lil reminder......

Canada tied CRC with 70%+ of the 2014 WC roster. 

& Uruguay.... well

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/25285064

Hehe. I asked a soccer fan from work that only supports Italy internationally if he has been following the Gold Cup. He said no. I told him Canada tied Costa Rica. He said something like "That's pretty good, Costa Rica is a pretty good team." I said "Well yeah, they are better than Italy". He was a bit confused and asked why. I said "Didn't they finish ahead of Italy in the same group last World Cup?" He paused for a couple seconds and then VERY faintly said "yeah".

Cavallini's turn in the spotlight for Canada Soccer's series:

For anyone who wasn't aware, Lucas's younger brother Christian (who he mentions in the video) currently plays for Woodbridge in League1 Ontario.

Edited by Zem

I don't want to diminish what Cavallini has done for Canada so far. He is a great hold up striker and plays hard. But is it just me or does he run to the front of the net and then stand behind a defender and complain about the service? I understand, sometimes the service just hasn't been good. But sometimes he is not in the right spot... I wouldn't bring it up if he didn't complain every time the ball doesn't go straight to his feet.

Again, I think he is doing a great job. He is putting in performances better than any other Canadian striker recently. I just think if we are down a goal, having Larin there to go to the right spot in the box could work out a bit better.

44 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I don't want to diminish what Cavallini has done for Canada so far. He is a great hold up striker and plays hard. But is it just me or does he run to the front of the net and then stand behind a defender and complain about the service? I understand, sometimes the service just hasn't been good. But sometimes he is not in the right spot... I wouldn't bring it up if he didn't complain every time the ball doesn't go straight to his feet.

Again, I think he is doing a great job. He is putting in performances better than any other Canadian striker recently. I just think if we are down a goal, having Larin there to go to the right spot in the box could work out a bit better.

He does this on purpose.  He knows he can win the ball even when marked.  Also on my re watch I noticed he makes good late runs into the box that unfortunately no one anticipates. He needs strong, quick service.  A guy like Edwards would combine really well with Lucas.

Edited by BrennanFan

Cavallini has been everything as advertised and more.  His work rate is excellent and his ability in the box on the defensive end has helped out numerous times during the tournament to clear corners and free kicks.  His unhappiness with Davies and his delay of the cross was slightly over the top considering he directed it at a 16 year old with only a few professional games under his belt, but probably demonstrates that fire he wanted to see from Canadian soccer.  It will be interesting to see if he and Larin play together or if one comes on for the other after an hour.

I agree with BenFisk'sBiggestFan and would even go a bit further. I think Cavallini brings something different to the team and I like some aspects of his play and am happy he is with us but I think he has received some overly flattering reviews of his play. His holdup play is pretty good maybe a bit better than Larin but Larin was not criticized for poor holdup play, he was criticized for not scoring and missing easy finishes. Outside of the one pass to Davies in the first game Cavallini has not only not scored in 3 appearances he has hardly created any offence at all in his three appearances. We are getting almost no pressure from the centre of the box and most of our goals and offence is coming from the wings. When we do penetrate and pressure in the box it is usually Arfield or Hoillett doing it not Cavallini. Maybe some of that is how we are playing tactically and poor service but at the same time I don't see him open and finding space in the box and some of the missed passes he complains about are not always as poorly placed as he seems to think, ie. many strikers would have managed to get to the pass. He is also not creating the space in the box or providing a target that a larger taller striker like Larin or Haber could create.

So far I am of the impression he has the skill set more appropriate to an attacking midfielder or a withdrawn striker which is exactly what I though after the Ghana friendly. He is good on the ball and he play the same rough but will fall if fouled style that Honduras plays and that we likely need in this region. And as disappointing as AJH was in his start against Costa Rica, the most dangerous 10 minutes a Canadian striker has played in the 3 games are when he came on as a substitute in the first game. To be fair, Cavallini also looked a bit more dangerous when he subbed in then when he started. Now I hope Cavallini proves me wrong and starts to score and it is also possible that lack of playing previously with the other players is a factor. However, if I were Zambrano I would definitely bring in Larin and would be tempted to start him and use AJH as the sub if we need a late goal and Cavallini as the sub if we need hold up play. So far I think Cavallini is a good addition but he is not the top notch striker we need but about the level of our other players and the team as a whole. If he is going to be the go to striker he needs to start providing a lot more offence.  

Edited by Grizzly

25 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

And as disappointing as AJH was in his start against Honduras, the most dangerous 10 minutes a Canadian striker has played in the 3 games are when he came on as a substitute in the first game. 

I'd like to see more AJH to be honnest.  Yes, he was invisible in his start versus CRC, but when he came on as sub he made a nice play that created a goal.  Hence overall,  i noticed AJH's contributions more than Cavallini's. 

Edited by Free kick

12 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Yea, but he plays in the piece of shit Uruguayan league, remember? :rolleyes:

Sorry.. that was uncalled for B) 

I will take the bait since I have criticized the playing level of the Uruguayan league before. First of all I think Uruguay as a small country does just about everything right as far as training its players and running its league in a manner in which produces good talent for the national team and a couple of teams able to compete in South American competitions. They seem to have a very good training program which I would assume starts at a very young age and their league gives young players an opportunity to play at a level good for them at their age. That does not mean the league itself is a high level league. Most of their top players are playing in Europe or better South American countries at a very young age usually around 20. This is necessary because despite whatever good training you have you need to play against good level competition to develop. 

I think Cavallini has a good skill set base and it is good he is finally playing on one of the big teams yet at the same time he is still playing and scoring against relatively weak teams. I hope he will be able to transfer to a higher level soon. At the end of the day though, if Canada is going to compete with the big boys in CONCACAF, we need one or more central strikers who are going to score and be very dangerous in the middle. So far I have not seen that from Cavallini and while I agree he has a good work rate and has contributed to the strong play of team so far I although think as a striker he has been pretty average.  

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I'd like to see more AJH to be honnest.  Yes, he was invisible in his start versus CRC, but when he came on as sub he a made play that created a goal.  Hence overall,  i noticed AJH's contributions more than Cavallini's. 

Oops I meant to say start against Costa Rica not Honduras

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

I'd like to see more AJH to be honnest.  Yes, he was invisible in his start versus CRC, but when he came on as sub he made a nice play that created a goal.  Hence overall,  i noticed AJH's contributions more than Cavallini's. 

Hard to say how he would have done vs an experienced Honduran central defence.  May have had the same outcome as vs the Ticos.

Edited by BearcatSA
Proofreading problem!!!

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

He does this on purpose.  He knows he can win the ball even when marked.  Also on my re watch I noticed he makes good late runs into the box that unfortunately no one anticipates. He needs strong, quick service.  A guy like Edwards would combine really well with Lucas.

I agree that Edwards would combine with Cavallini very well. I was surprised we didn't see them together in the Honduras game. 

I understand that he thinks he can win the ball, and maybe he can. But when I watch Larin in Orlando, he always finds himself in open space. That gives his other players (players like davies) a bigger target to hit when trying to cross the ball. Cavallini doesn't seem to do that. With Larin's play he seems to open up space and drag players out of position with him. Another thing Cavallini doesn't seem to do.

All that being said i understand that i am judging Larin on MLS's terrible defensive play in comparison with international soccer. I think Cavillini is a very valuable player for Canada, but i think he could improve his movement within the box. Everywhere else on the field he is dominant, and better than Larin.

Just now, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I agree that Edwards would combine with Cavallini very well. I was surprised we didn't see them together in the Honduras game. 

I understand that he thinks he can win the ball, and maybe he can. But when I watch Larin in Orlando, he always finds himself in open space. That gives his other players (players like davies) a bigger target to hit when trying to cross the ball. Cavallini doesn't seem to do that. With Larin's play he seems to open up space and drag players out of position with him. Another thing Cavallini doesn't seem to do.

All that being said i understand that i am judging Larin on MLS's terrible defensive play in comparison with international soccer. I think Cavillini is a very valuable player for Canada, but i think he could improve his movement within the box. Everywhere else on the field he is dominant, and better than Larin.

Yeah Larin definitely seems to have better movement inside the box off the ball.

2 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I basically agree with all of this.  If Larin can bring his best MLS qualities to the CMNT, yes he'd be our best option.  Aside from what you mentioned, he's a shooting threat from outside the box.  I've not seen Larin elevate his game in a Canada shirt yet.  The time is now. Assuming he's called, of course.

I find Cavallini to have a more well rounded game. Larin knows how to bag goals for sure so I think that's an asset if we need a goal in the late stages. What I'm saying is Im glad tgey brought in Larin but I hope Z doesn't mess with the starting 11 because Cavallini brings a very professional rythem with his hold up play and ability to draw fouls 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

I basically agree with all of this.  If Larin can bring his best MLS qualities to the CMNT, yes he'd be our best option.  Aside from what you mentioned, he's a shooting threat from outside the box. 

I may have missed some, but every goal that i can recall from him in MLS, is from inside the box.

which suggests to me, that to be effective, he needs good service.

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I may have missed some, but every goal that i can recall from him in MLS, is from inside the box.

which suggests to me, that to be effective, he needs good service.

You definitely missed some. He has scored many goals from outside the box. This year, maybe due to tactics, he has scored most of his goals in the box.