Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

1 minute ago, kohanz said:

Do you think this statement is true of most of the CanMNT? "they lose a game and for them it's nothing"

I wouldn't say it is "nothing", but they collectively haven't been stubborn enough when it comes to winning. Not even close. That is the mental fragility Zambrano has identified and has come in to fix.

Cavallini has not shown any "Latin American passion to win"  with Canada yet. When he has demonstrated some of this then he can comment on other Canadian players. I know very little about his mindset, but the couple of comments we have heard and his lack of caps for Canada do not represent a passion to win with Canada to me. Anybody can run their mouth. 

I'm good with the comments,  maybe there is something lost in the translation potentially, but  overall I'm good.  You should want players that have a winning mentality and losing is not a option.  I feel the CSA on the men's side doesn't have  a winning  mentality ( Oz has even said so).  And there's prime examples of that.  There should be an expectation for teams and the CSA and fans, for me personally I feel like there's not.  Do I think that is slowly changing with Oz now in charge, ya but there needs to be a expectation for him too. 

I'm so happy Cavallini is back and if Larin can get his scoring touch in order. They can be two monsters that Canada has never had before.  Yes Canada does not have some of it's stars players but we do have a strong team going to the Gold cup, the expectation should be to get in the finals of the gold cup.  If we win the gold cup this year it's going to open so many opportunities for men's soccer. 

Edited by SpecialK

If what we want on the GC team is grit and winning attitude, pissed off, passionate play then why arent more people howling over Johnson not being there for the group stage??  Rollins hints that he isnt well liked.  Well if Cavallini goes in there saying stuff like he has been in the SA press he wont get alot of love either.  At least Johnson has backed it up on the field (if he really is a dick and hard to deal with).  I think until Cavallini actually plays and shows something on the field for the nationals he needs to keep his public comments a little more laid back.  The guys that have been doing their best for the last 5-6 years for CMNT, wont appreciate a guy with questionable commitment to the team and Canada saying they dont have any fire or passion for winning.  If he scores a goal or two, shows us passion on the field for CANADA ( not Uruguay) runs his ass off etc, then MAYBE, he can think about running down the passion of other players.  Although talking about teammates you have really hardly played with is always a bad idea.  

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If what we want on the GC team is grit and winning attitude, pissed off, passionate play then why arent more people howling over Johnson not being there for the group stage??  Rollins hints that he isnt well liked.  Well if Cavallini goes in there saying stuff like he has been in the SA press he wont get alot of love either.  At least Johnson has backed it up on the field (if he really is a dick and hard to deal with).  I think until Cavallini actually plays and shows something on the field for the nationals he needs to keep his public comments a little more laid back.  The guys that have been doing their best for the last 5-6 years for CMNT, wont appreciate a guy with questionable commitment to the team and Canada saying they dont have any fire or passion for winning.  If he scores a goal or two, shows us passion on the field for CANADA ( not Uruguay) runs his ass off etc, then MAYBE, he can think about running down the passion of other players.  Although talking about teammates you have really hardly played with is always a bad idea.  

The thing is, he isn't talking about any of these teammates with perhaps the exception of Bernier. I don't think there was any players on this roster beside him during the 8-1. De Jong maybe.

34 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

The thing is, he isn't talking about any of these teammates with perhaps the exception of Bernier. I don't think there was any players on this roster beside him during the 8-1. De Jong maybe.

Borjan, Ricketts and Jakovic too.

Edited by Blackdude

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't think it's likely or even realistic that a rift would be caused in the locker room because Cavallini desperately wants to win.

If he brings that Latin American passion to win, I can't see that being a bad thing, no matter which angle I look at it from.

Those are the type of players you want representing the shirt.

Team unity is great but not if the team are united in their lack of self belief, lack of passion and lack of a stubborn will to win..  . .

Case in point: Kevin McKenna at half time "it is damage control at this point". What a damn embarrassment. Where is your desire to win? 

Like someone else mmentioned, I would rather have a miserable bastard stirring up shit than nobody giving one.

I don't want to be too argumentative, but you can't praise Cav for his frank honesty (even when the truth hurts), and then criticize McKenna for a similar degree of honesty about being in damage control mode.  McKenna was right - we were getting fucking destroyed, we had no hope of winning given the way the game was unfolding, and at that point we were trying (and failing) to limit the embarrassment to our program.   So he spoke the truth as he saw it.  Just like Cav is doing.

And the idea that there is some special Latin American quality that would drive you to victory when you are getting your ass handed to you is idealistic bullshit. 

I'm thinking his comments derive from that 8-1 ass kicking in Honduras. Seeing your Capt. talk about damage control and then half the guys going out in the 2nd half and basically giving up on the game probably didn't sit well with some of the guys. 

edit: When i say half the team i'm looking at the backline. Edgar still looked like he was battling, but the other 3 were either in over their head (Klukowski), sick (McKenna) or scared (Hainault).

Edited by jpg75

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't want to be too argumentative, but you can't praise Cav for his frank honesty (even when the truth hurts), and then criticize McKenna for a similar degree of honesty about being in damage control mode.  McKenna was right - we were getting fucking destroyed, we had no hope of winning given the way the game was unfolding, and at that point we were trying (and failing) to limit the embarrassment to our program.   So he spoke the truth as he saw it.  Just like Cav is doing.

And the idea that there is some special Latin American quality that would drive you to victory when you are getting your ass handed to you is idealistic bullshit. 

I don't think anyone is criticizing McKenna's honesty. If the coach heard him in that interview he should have pulled him off before the half started. I rather suspect though that McKenna may be have been echoing the coach's words (I hope not, I'm no fan of Hart, but jeez). 

3 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Canada's needs:

Good Player with good locker room presence

Good Player with "swagger"

Bad Player with good locker room presence

Bad Player with "swagger"

I think this "swagger" you talk about is more of something that is tolerable because Cavallini is a good player.

Like duh who wants a bad player w swagger? ;):P 

could you imagine someone w the attitude of Ibra but sucked hahaha

32 minutes ago, rightback said:

I don't think anyone is criticizing McKenna's honesty. If the coach heard him in that interview he should have pulled him off before the half started. I rather suspect though that McKenna may be have been echoing the coach's words (I hope not, I'm no fan of Hart, but jeez). 

IIRC, the interview was right after the 1st half ended prior to going into the locker room.

3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Cavallini has not shown any "Latin American passion to win"  with Canada yet. When he has demonstrated some of this then he can comment on other Canadian players. I know very little about his mindset, but the couple of comments we have heard and his lack of caps for Canada do not represent a passion to win with Canada to me. Anybody can run their mouth. 

I don't recall any Honduran getting stretchered off the field in that game after someone wearing the Maple Leaf decided that running up the score was worthy of a passionate tackle, Cavallini included.  I would think with that intense Latin desire to win a few Hondurans would have been picking themselves up of the turf. 

6 hours ago, Addona said:

Man, this guy has "cancer in the dressing room" potential written all over him ... goodness, this GC hope that I had is fading fast in the last couple of weeks.  At least AJH doesn't seem to be injured too badly ...

Since you brought up cancer CSA  took a proactive approach to reassure the concerns of the public and came up with this advisory...

IMG_5418.PNG

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I always had that feeling Johnson was a johnson - now it's validated. 

From your comments Bisson sounds like CSA will inject the CMNT w the disease of the nWo...

IMG_5425.PNG

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

People aren't howling about Johnson being unavailable for the group stage because it is health related. Not much to complain about.

As for him MAYBE not being liked as per a "hint" fron Rollins, well even it was true and he wasnt liked, the reasons could be totally independent from his competitive, winning spirit, stubbornness to win, whatever you want to call it. It's a pretty massive leap to first say Johnson is unliked by his teammates and then attach that to Cavallini. 

Edited by Obinna

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

People aren't howling about Johnson being unavailable for the group stage because it is health related. Not much to complain about.

As for him MAYBE not being liked as per a "hint" fron Rollins, well even it was true and he wasnt liked, the reasons could be totally independent from his competitive, winning spirit, stubbornness to win, whatever you want to call it. It's a pretty massive leap to first say Johnson is unliked by his teammates and then attach that to Cavallini. 

Well to paraphrase Rollins, he says Johnson may have seen his last CMNT call because he is "widely viewed as a pain in the ass".  I was assuming Rollins meant his coaches and or teamates etc see him as a pain in the ass. Maybe he doesnt wear his flip flops in the shower and gave everyone fungus at the last CMNT camp.  

As far as Cavallini, alot are saying they like his attitude (kick ass and light a fire) from those comments.  My point was that his comments about former teamates and Cdn soccer might not be viewed as happy positive "I'm super passionate" kind of thing.  And that they might carry more weight from someone who has actually shown up and shown commitment to the CMNT like many others.  

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I'm thinking his comments derive from that 8-1 ass kicking in Honduras. Seeing your Capt. talk about damage control and then half the guys going out in the 2nd half and basically giving up on the game probably didn't sit well with some of the guys. 

I agree with this, though I also think far too much is being made on this board about his comments - I honestly don't think they are significant. Hopefully his play on the field will be significant (and for the right reasons).