Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

There is a mistake in the original, but not on the key phrase, at least not in the text. It says:

"pero ahora me arrepiento mucho porque la verdad, mi hija capaz que algún día me dice, “Papá ¿por qué nunca pudiste jugar en la Selección Uruguaya?”. 

It should probably read "...mi hija será (or sería) capaz algun día de decirme, "Papa...."

Meaning: "...but now I feel very sorry about that because the truth is, some day my daughter could very well say to me "Papa why couldn't you ever play for the Uruguay national team?"

You could say he is thinking about what his daughter might say to recriminate him, so he is saying he is sorry for his Uruguayan daughter. Of course, all he has to do is raise her to understand she is also Canadian and should be proud of it, as I have done with son, raised in Spain and Canadian despite having never spent more than holidays in Canada.

Another possibility is maybe Cavallini's Spanish is not perfect, especially grammatically as it is for many children of Spanish speakers growing up in Canada (myself included), and he did not say what he meant to say.  It happens.  Also, the interviewer is going to hear what he wants to hear.  

Its time to let bygones be bygones.  He will do his talking on the pitch.  

Shit happens. Ive said things i regret as well. Everyone deserves another chance to prove themselves. 

He wants to here now. He wants to be called up against honduras. He seems positive in camp. Thats all that matters. 

He had a lot of shit going on with the birth of a daughter and being a young father. Ill give him benefit of the doubt. 

First off the google translate was crap with errors. Yet the part where he mentions his daughter, yep, no mistake there, he regrets having chosen Canada. Forget the daughter thing and cut the bull, he felt like he could make the Uruguayan selection. Why else would he make that comment? And to that I have to ask: Really??? Anyways we shouldn't get too wrapped up with this considering it's a "fait accomplis" he is cap-tied so cry us a river. All of this bla bla " my daughter por que por que?" is hypothetical. The ironic thing is his daughter probably is Canadian via descent or he will eventually apply for her citizenship.  So she'll probably be happy to say to her friends I'm Canadian and my daddy played for Canada. 

For what it's worth, Lucas brought up the Uruguayan interview before I even had a chance to ask about it. He seemed both aware of the controversy (i.e. griping on this board) about it, and eager to clear the air.

Clear the air with another lie.  I understand him wanting to do so but don't lie about it and if they misquoted you why would you allow it to remain published?  

Of course he left the team because of the 8-1 loss.  He embarked on a romantic relationship and that has kept him out?  Pffft... what a joke of an excuse.  Players have children every day and it doesn't keep them out for 3 years, it's commendable that he was with his wife while she was pregnant totally understandable but she wasn't pregnant for 36 months.  Benito Floro himself said that Lucas wasn't returning his calls or talking to him.  

I really don't care as long as he's here now but I'm not going to let him get away with a convenient lie.

Edited by Keegan

Clear the air with another lie.  I understand him wanting to do so but don't lie about it and if they misquoted you why would you allow it to remain published?  

Of course he left the team because of the 8-1 loss.  He embarked on a romantic relationship and that has kept him out?  Pffft... what a joke of an excuse.  Players have children every day and it doesn't keep them out for 3 years, it's commendable that he was with his wife while she was pregnant totally understandable but she wasn't pregnant for 36 months.  Benito Floro himself said that Lucas wasn't returning his calls or talking to him.  

I really don't care as long as he's here now but I'm not going to let him get away with a convenient lie.

Tell that to Will Johnson.

It is clear what the journalist quotes him as saying.

It is also clear there is a phrase right after that is grammatically incoherent in Spanish, it's wrong. The editor should have told him to fix it, it is really bad. It is not even something you mumble mistakenly in Spanish, no Spanish speaker would say "mi hija capaz que algún día me dice...". 

So if you have that, you have to admit the possibility the journalist was not totally precise with the rest.

First off the google translate was crap with errors. Yet the part where he mentions his daughter, yep, no mistake there, he regrets having chosen Canada. Forget the daughter thing and cut the bull, he felt like he could make the Uruguayan selection. Why else would he make that comment? And to that I have to ask: Really??? Anyways we shouldn't get too wrapped up with this considering it's a "fait accomplis" he is cap-tied so cry us a river. All of this bla bla " my daughter por que por que?" is hypothetical. The ironic thing is his daughter probably is Canadian via descent or he will eventually apply for her citizenship.  So she'll probably be happy to say to her friends I'm Canadian and my daddy played for Canada. 

Coming through with translation help once again.

Also, we're use to getting behind players who have chosen us as their 2nd option.  It is weird to see Cavallani be so outgoing about it, he must of done a real U-turn recently?

Edited by zeelaw

The players overall are more technically sound, one of several ways "the basics are all much better in Uruguay's top division", as you say. That doesn't mean the quality of football being played is better. Certainly I don't think you'll get many people who'll agree with you that MLS would kill to be a league of comparable play.

A much more reasonable comment would have been to say both leagues are of similar quality, albeit with different styles - and that comment is would be incredibly generous.

Incredibly generous to MLS. I know Most people wouldn't agree with me. However, that's because most people can't read the game as well as I do.

The average player in Uruguay alot more technically gifted, alot more composed  and has alot better vision than his MLS counterpart. That in itself creates a league where the quality of football is better.

Edited by Macksam

Incredibly generous to MLS. I know Most people wouldn't agree with me. However, that's because most people can't read the game as well as I do.

The average player in Uruguay alot more technically gifted, alot more composed  and has alot better vision than his MLS counterpart. That in itself creates a league where the quality of football is better.

LOL. Whenever you hear someone use the argument "Most people disagree with me but that is because they are less intelligent than me." you really know someone is talking through their ass and not worth taking seriously.

LOL. Whenever you hear someone use the argument "Most people disagree with me but that is because they are less intelligent than me." you really know someone is talking through their ass and not worth taking seriously.

The number of times I've made you look stupid in the past would suggest otherwise. 

Edited by Macksam

Oh is that right? Most people don't read the game as well as you? Please share with us your playing experience so we can confirm this statement of yours!

LMAO.

The guy nobody wants to have a beer with.

Oh is that right? Most people don't read the game as well as you? Please share with us your playing experience so we can confirm this statement of yours!

My playing experience has nothing to do with how well I can analyze the game. 

LMAO.

The guy nobody wants to have a beer with.

I haven't experienced that before. I will get into a lot of arguments when having said beer with individuals. However, when they see me a week or so later, they all will begrudgingly say "you were right...." 

Edited by Macksam

I haven't experienced that before. I will get into a lot of arguments when having said beer with individuals. However, when they see me a week or so later, they all will begrudgingly say "you were right...." 

I find that highly improbable that people would say that to you, because I doubt I would.  That's most likely because they're not as good at drinking beer as I am.  Few are.

If this post was sarcastic, I say well done.  If this post was serious, then I need to change my profile picture to another Dutch legend (Van Persie, Cruyff, Van Basten???) so that I too will have the ultimate soccer knowledge.