Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

If Cavallini does get back in the fold, can you remember a time when Canada had such young depth at the forward position?

Larin, Akendele, Cavaillini. All three playing pretty good at a pretty good level. 

Anyway, I will forgive the kid if he does come back. Getting killed 8-1 isn't a great way to start your career. 

Edited by finchster

Strange that he'd get an invite for November before the Ghana friendly though, isn't it?

completely agree...my one thought is that there's a chance this could've been a while in the making. We always hear about these things right before they happen, perhaps the machinations have been happening for a while.

If Cavallini does get back in the fold, can you remember a time when Canada had such young depth at the forward position?

Larin, Akendele, Cavaillini. All three playing pretty good at a pretty good level. 

Anyway, I will forgive the kid if he does come back. Getting killed 8-1 isn't a great way to start your career. 

Agree the talent is there, but we need it to translate to goals at the MNT level.  Hope it's coming soon.

Jason

Ok, been looking for more info, here's an interesting article from Sept 1. Calls him "The Happiest Canadian in Uruguay".  In all articles about games or goals he is always called "canadiense". Notes he had three goals already in Apertura for Fenix, after 5 games. Talks about his past with Nacional and how and why it did not work out. Very little about Canada, only that people are more friendly and chatty in Uruguay. 

http://www.ovaciondigital.com.uy/futbol/canadiense-mas-feliz-uruguay.html

What really comes out is that he has had offers to go to Spain to play, but has turned them down, apparently because his partner is about to give birth and she (I imagine from Uruguay as he's been there since age 16) wanted to do so in Uruguay. They'll marry, then it seems he does have offers from Spain and will take one, for January. 

I am not sure if he feels playing for Canada will help his Spain contract possibilities, or if he has someone who has spoken to Floro from his Spain connections, no idea. I'll look more later, no time now. 

Just a comment on his level: this is the kind of player, as in Rivero and Techera, the Whitecaps have been signing, similar age and upside. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

My spanish isnt the best but without using google translate:

The striker lucas cavallini of Fenix was invited to play for Canada (his nation in Toronto?) for the qualifiers.

I'm not convinced "nation" is nacido, but I don't know what else to guess. Anyone?

nacido means born. He was born in Toronto.

pbullen, the way the match reports read, he sounds like a typical target striker, back to defenders, turning, combining with the more mobile strikers or attacking mids like Maxi Pérez near him. 

Maxi was at Tenerife on loan from Fenix last season and is now back, so maybe it's a setup Lucas is looking at, in the winter transfer break.

As for Fenix and Nacional, from what I have read he has been acquired by Fenix from Nacional for this season.

pbullen, the way the match reports read, he sounds like a typical target striker, back to defenders, turning, combining with the more mobile strikers or attacking mids like Maxi Pérez near him. 

Maxi was at Tenerife on loan from Fenix last season and is now back, so maybe it's a setup Lucas is looking at, in the winter transfer break.

As for Fenix and Nacional, from what I have read he has been acquired by Fenix from Nacional for this season.

Cheers. 

We typically call two target strikers for qualifying don't we? If Floro plays Tesho as a MF - we could have a nice little trifecta of competition with Haber, Larin and Cavallini. 

Yeah I would be comfortable with that depth at CF moving forward. Larin would still be my preferred option but we wouldn't look bad with either of those 3 leading the line for us.

Each guy offers something a little different as well which could give us some interesting looks that may trouble some opponents more than others.

Haven't seen him play, but he has that big shoulder build, I wonder if he is like Octavio Rivero.

So if he is a target striker, then yes, that is three that are a bit similar, Larin, Haber and Cavallini.

Normally, on a roster, you only call two like that, as you need a countering striker, wing players, players that can play with the mids, you need variations. So I say, under normal circumstances, we would not have room for all three of those mentioned.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Haven't seen him play, but he has that big shoulder build, I wonder if he is like Octavio Rivero.

The player he seems to most admire is a Uruguayan striker named "Luisito", says in the article, wonder who that might be. Seriously, if that is the model (Suarez) then it's a good one.

Just googled luisito and that was a nick for Luis Suarez down in Uruguay, so he's referring to him. Also Cavanelli's brother tried out with the Caps last season and couldn't make the team. Maybe the Caps and Floro should approach the brother and see if Lucas might be willing to play here with the other Uruguayans. He would come cheap and I think benefit the Caps and Canada if he plays locally in MLS.

So if he is a target striker, then yes, that is three that are a bit similar, Larin, Haber and Cavallini.

Normally, on a roster, you only call two like that, as you need a countering striker, wing players, players that can play with the mids, you need variations. So I say, under normal circumstances, we would not have room for all three of those mentioned.

Absolutely. That is the great thing. We could finally make calls based on form or tactics. Plus if one is out due to injury during WCQ's, we always have a competent backup regardless of whoever's chosen to start. Edited by Obinna

This tweet confirms what we all know: Cavallini refused a call-up. When you have players who would love to get called up, I don't see why we should try to call him up anymore. One would guess that Floro knows the issue that Cavallini has with the program and he can either think that he can make Lucas change Cavallini's idea, but I wouldn't count on it.