Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

I agree. The quality of Uruguay's domestic league is surprisingly quite high. MLS would kill to be a league that is of comparable play.

Is this sarcasm? I believe a lot of us may underestimate the level in Uruguay. The games I use to watch on Gol TV were fairly decent and it's an environment where several world stars got their start, but saying MLS would kill to be a league of comparable play is a huge stretch at best.

Glad Lucas accepted the call.  I'm hoping thr Whitecaps brass talk to him first though as the Caps have more if not just as much clout as Floro to get players transferred to Spain and robbo can convince Lucas to play woth the MLS squad a couple of seasons and we'll pay you extremely well.   I think Cavallini could become a star in MLS if his Spain aspirations don't pan out.  Excited to see a great attacking line-up now for Canada.

Based on what?  No one in the Caps brass has ever played in Spain and they have never transferred players to Spain.. whereas Benito Floro has worked with the Spanish Federation and numerous top level clubs and has the respect of many people in Spain.  I think that's a reach.

If Cavallini wants to transfer in January as has been reported he is making the right decision getting in Floro's good books.  

I'd like him to go to Vancouver too, he would fit in well and he would be a Canadian on a Canadian club but based on past comments he has little to no interest in MLS at this point.  I think he could pot around 10 goals a season in MLS if he was a regular.

Edited by Keegan

Is this sarcasm? I believe a lot of us may underestimate the level in Uruguay. The games I use to watch on Gol TV were fairly decent and it's an environment where several world stars got their start, but saying MLS would kill to be a league of comparable play is a huge stretch at best.

Cavani and Suarez were gone from the Uruguay league before they were twenty. It is a quality league but is crazy to say it is a higher level than MLS.

Based on what?  No one in the Caps brass has ever played in Spain and they have never transferred players to Spain.. whereas Benito Floro has worked with the Spanish Federation and numerous top level clubs and has the respect of many people in Spain.  I think that's a reach.

If Cavallini wants to transfer in January as has been reported he is making the right decision getting in Floro's good books.  

I'd like him to go to Vancouver too, he would fit in well and he would be a Canadian on a Canadian club but based on past comments he has little to no interest in MLS at this point.  I think he could pot around 10 goals a season in MLS if he was a regular.

Robbo has contacts everywhere based on his UK contacts, even in Spain.  How the heck do you think we signed Pedro Morales??  Robbo went to Malaga and talked to him after hearing about Morales from other sources.  And now Morales has tons of contacts in Spain and Chile and has actually helped Robbo get a better network in those places.  I'm sure Benito has jusy as much being a Spaniard, but don't discount the Whitecaps brass and player contacts. 

Robbo has contacts everywhere based on his UK contacts, even in Spain.  How the heck do you think we signed Pedro Morales??  Robbo went to Malaga and talked to him after hearing about Morales from other sources.  And now Morales has tons of contacts in Spain and Chile and has actually helped Robbo get a better network in those places.  I'm sure Benito has jusy as much being a Spaniard, but don't discount the Whitecaps brass and player contacts. 

I  seriously doubt he has contacts of any quality in Spain, to sign Morales he did not need them anyways. What, he knows Bale? The Caps don't have any Spain connections either, how they came up with Blasco on the WCII pretty well proves that. And they have nothing in the way of dialogue with teams to sell to or loan. 

Compare with Sporting KC who seems to have some real connections. 

I have been doing searches and I see his name came up two years ago as a possible Real Zaragoza signing, so yes, it does seem that a few teams are onto him. 

The Uruguayans in top flight in Spain, ages of the younger ones.

L Suarez-Barcelona

Gimenez-At Madrid (19 yrs old)

Godín-At Madrid

Cristóforo-Sevilla (20)

Rodríguez-Deportivo (21)

Castro-Real Sociedad

Olaza-Celta Vigo (20)

Nico López-Granada (20)

Velázquez-Getafe (20)

D Suarez-Getafe

There are six in 2nd division, two of them at Zaragoza. Spain 2nd is dominated by domestic players.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

No, I'm being serious. The basics are all much better in Uruguay's top division.

No, I'm being serious. The basics are all much better in Uruguay's top division.

The players overall are more technically sound, one of several ways "the basics are all much better in Uruguay's top division", as you say. That doesn't mean the quality of football being played is better. Certainly I don't think you'll get many people who'll agree with you that MLS would kill to be a league of comparable play.

A much more reasonable comment would have been to say both leagues are of similar quality, albeit with different styles - and that comment is would be incredibly generous.

@DanielSquizzato: “Never did I say or state in any interview that I would never play for Canada again.” - Lucas Cavallini #canMNT

That wasn't the gripe though was it?  I think it was more the fact that he said he regretted being cap tied to us.. which is worse IMO.

“I’ll make it clear: I never stated or said that I would not play for the team again,” he said. “Regretting playing for the team, I never said. I don’t know what the translation was there. Maybe someone translated that interview wrong; they got the wrong message, I guess.

“I get that the fans are mad. I would be mad as well, if one player that you’d really like to see on the team decided to not play anymore. But that’s soccer. I’m here now and there’s nothing else to say.”

We simply take interviews and statements too seriously without even thinking that there could be a mistake in the transcription or translation. 

There are a number of Spanish speaking members on this board who corroborated what was said in the original text. 

We simply take interviews and statements too seriously without even thinking that there could be a mistake in the transcription or translation. 

The person who did the interview could very well have made a mistake...

http://www.tenfield.com.uy/jugador-de-la-etapa-el-canadiense-de-fenix-lucas-cavallini-con-su-hija-brianna-como-trofeo-y-cabala/

This from the Uruguayan pressAsí debuté en la mayor, en un partido oficial clasificatorio, pero ahora me arrepiento mucho porque la verdad, mi hija capaz que algún día me dice, “Papá ¿por qué nunca pudiste jugar en la Selección Uruguaya?”.

Translation from the reme90, which is good IMO (no mistake in the translation): That was how I debuted on the Senior team, at an official qualifying game. But now, I regret it alot, because truthfully, what if my daughter one day asks "Dad, why did you never play for Uruguay".

Edited by canucklefan

For the record, I don't care what he said, only thing that matters is the win (the CMNT). I've posted those words again because I don't like when people try to change the facts, that goes for Cavallini too, trying to deny what he previously said. 

Edited by canucklefan

For the record, I don't care what he said, only thing that matters is the win (the CMNT). I've posted those words again because I don't like when people try to change the facts, that goes for Cavallini too, trying to deny what he previously said. 

Yeah I know, I didn't mean to imply that. I am just one of those people who is happy with all the recent additions :-).