Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Are we still giving this guy attention? God we're like desperate high school boys crying that our girlfriend left us. 

Just let it go already. Decent player but we have much better prospects. He's lost his chance and it'll be hard to break back in (if we even give him a chance). 

...Moving on.

+1 to this. Let's just forget about Cavallini already.

Uruguay has more players in Europe then Brazil or Argentina. He enjoys living in Uruguay so much, but to make the team he will likely have to move outside Uruguay, as they currently only have 1 player in the team that plays in the local league. As a Canadian, he would need to be 2x better than any Uruguayan at a similar position to take the spot from a native-born. He would never make the Uruguay national team.

I have no respect for anyone that "regrets" representing their country of birth. Make him eat his words, dont call him again for a while. Hes cap-tied and not going anywhere else. Not a monumental loss, moving on

Next time I see Stephen Hart, remind me to give him a high five for cap tieing Lucas. In the next 5-10 years, Canada will go on to bigger and better things with players far more accomplished than Cavallini. And I think Benito has a bit of Holger in him when it comes to not taking kindly to uncommitted players.

Here is a highlight real that I did not see posted:

http://golnetpro.com/gerardorabajda/cavallinilucas.mp4

Yes, some of the defending and goalkeeping is poor, but I still think there is some talent there. Whether it ever wants to play for us is another question.

Two things stood out to me

1) He only scores from 6-10 yards from the goal-line. So he needs service to be effective. It's nice to have a left-footed striker though. I wonder if we will take him back once we get into the hex?? Will we need ?with Larin, Tesho, Ricketts, and Jackson being similar type strikers.

2) Man, the crowds and the stadiums look like dumps. This gives me great encouragement that Canada or MLS can become a league of choice for Central and South American talent. We have better facilities, crowds and with the onset of USL and academies our Football is destined to improve as well. Obviously, a small country like Uruguay makes it for less expenses in travel and such, but man that league looks 4th world

Two things stood out to me

1) He only scores from 6-10 yards from the goal-line. So he needs service to be effective. It's nice to have a left-footed striker though. I wonder if we will take him back once we get into the hex?? Will we need ?with Larin, Tesho, Ricketts, and Jackson being similar type strikers.

2) Man, the crowds and the stadiums look like dumps. This gives me great encouragement that Canada or MLS can become a league of choice for Central and South American talent. We have better facilities, crowds and with the onset of USL and academies our Football is destined to improve as well. Obviously, a small country like Uruguay makes it for less expenses in travel and such, but man that league looks 4th world

It isn't just about money though. Sometimes just having an league + produce players that can be sold + strong football culture = strong placings at the World Cup. 

It's why we need a Canadian league at least. We have only just started on improving player development. So right now, a strong MLS benefits 2nd tier Chilean or Uruguay players. 

• 1 month later...

Not really news per se. But the Lucas (who regrets playing for Canada and feels Argentinian/ Uruguayan/ Who knows) was in Toronto for the last 2 weeks of June visiting his family.

Lucas' brother who plays for Woodbridge in L10 is friends with Johnathan Osorio and the group of them spent time together.

Wonder how akward that conversation was when Johnathan said he had to leave for the Gold Cup...

Edited by king1010

Not really news per se. But the Lucas (who regrets playing for Canada and feels Argentinian/ Uruguayan/ Who knows) was in Toronto for the last 2 weeks of June visiting his family.

Lucas' brother who plays for Woodbridge in L10 is friends with Johnathan Osorio and the group of them spent time together.

Wonder how akward that conversation was when Johnathan said he had to leave for the Gold Cup...

Lucas and Jonathan are friends from playing at Clarkson-Sheridan and then at Nacional together, so likely that's how Christian knows Jonathan. Hopefully Jonathan was working on getting Lucas to snap out of his deranged mental state.

Lucas and Jonathan are friends from playing at Clarkson-Sheridan and then at Nacional together, so likely that's how Christian knows Jonathan. Hopefully Jonathan was working on getting Lucas to snap out of his deranged mental state.

I bet Jono would of gladly played for Colombia before Canada :/

Edited by zeelaw

I bet Jono would of gladly played for Colombia before Canada :/

Perhaps but Lucas Cavallini's family is from Argentina. So he never grew up supporting Uruguay and until he deleted his twitter, not too recently, he was very proud of Argentina and his Argentinian heritage. 

Perhaps but Lucas Cavallini's family is from Argentina. So he never grew up supporting Uruguay and until he deleted his twitter, not too recently, he was very proud of Argentina and his Argentinian heritage.

His brother is still on twitter and very proud of argentina.

Ever since he got that gf he seems to identify as uruguayan.

• 2 months later...

Nice. You ignored every calls for 3 years, you tell a newspaper you have regrets because you represented Canada in a WCQ and then you get a call by Floro......nice.

I would be so piss if I was a MNT player who attended every time I was called and this guy show up after not returning calls for years.

Nice. You ignored every calls for 3 years, you tell a newspaper you have regrets because you represented Canada in a WCQ and then you get a call by Floro......nice.

I would be so piss if I was a MNT player who attended every time I was called and this guy show up after not returning calls for years.

Tougher to stand firm when Canada can't seem to score any goals and he's a player who seems like he can help...

Not saying I agree or disagree, but it is what it is..

Seems like Floro will try diplomacy again. Good on Floro to try again. If Floro can convince Occean, Cavallini and Hoilett to give a chance and they suit up, then Floro has gained more respect from players and pundits. If Robbo and the Caps can forgive Mattocks for ripping his club 2 years on Jamaican TV, then rhe CSA and Floro can say it's water under the bridge and welcome Cavallini back.

That reporter tweets news that is happening on the day, so in that context, he would not be speaking about Lucas having turned down an invite in the past.  The confusion is that he states the call up is for qualifying and not a friendly.  He is probably mistaken on that point?  

His return now makes sense (from a prima donna perspective), as the "Mickey Mouse" games are over, and the real deal is just one camp away.

We need goals.  If Cavallini wants to try to score goals for us now, I say let him.     

Edited by BrennanFan