Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Dude is delusional. The current Uruguayan national team strikers were at the following points at his age: 

Suarez - Eredivisie starter

Cavani - Serie A starter

Stuani - Serie A sub

Rolan - (younger than Cavallini) - League 1 starter

Rodridguez - (younger than Cavallini) - Segunda Liga sub

So, to reiterate my point about Cavallini from earlier in the thread. Let's just forget about him and focus our energy on those who deserve it.

With these comments coming out, it's really easy to dislike Cavallini, but am I the only one that thinks he still has some pretty decent upside? If I'm being honest with myself, this could be a big loss for Canada, especially considering how thin we are up front.

With these comments coming out, it's really easy to dislike Cavallini, but am I the only one that thinks he still has some pretty decent upside? If I'm being honest with myself, this could be a big loss for Canada, especially considering how thin we are up front.

too soon

It's you, this is not a big loss. He can't even feature for Nacional - a club no better than your typical MLS team.

I agree with you, everyone loses.

He loses the most. We lose the least or even not at all. He hasn't been out in two years and it's been business as usual. Where is the loss? He's not better than what we already have, if he was he wouldn't play at Fenix

It's never a loss to not play a player who doesn't want to play for the shirt  - It's a loss to think a player like that can help your team

Reme90: Agree that CSA should be lobbying MLS hard about Canadians counting as domestics.. I think as more and more Canadians enter the league it'll give us more leverage in those negotiations.

Regarding pro clubs, my hope is we'll see another two NASL clubs added, giving us 7 pro teams. If the CSA then sanctions Canadian USL teams (div3) then that may be a realistic option for some prospective owners who can't afford NASL but who want something more than pdl or amateur (see Victoria).. can't really comment on the private academies as I don't know too much about them.

There is no doubt that the environment he grew up and the coaches he has had have had a major impact on his lack of enthusiasm for Canada. I want to make a comparison with our USA counterparts. The two best youth coaches in the USA hail from Argentina, The Kleiban brothers from California. They are vocally critical and openly detest what they call "Jungle Ball" soccer that the USA produces. They were seen as villains in USA soccer circles, until their private academies were demolishing the biggest clubs in tournaments all over the USA.

They trained thousands of Latinos, who often were overlooked by clubs because physically they were smaller and not your typical athletes. Alot of these youths went on to have careers in Mexico, South America, MLS, NASL and some even in Europe. They were eventually brought in to form the Chivas USA Academy and now that that is disbanded they now run the LA Galaxy academy. 

These coaches are seen by many as Anti-American, as they constantly berate "American Soccer". However, nobody can argue with the quality they produce, going head to head with Barcelona, Arsenal youth teams and even beating them.

My point to all this is, Is the decades long rejection we receive by countless professional soccer players from leagues around the world warranted? Have we ever had a program worth playing for? Outside of Floro and maybe Osieck has our head coach ever been worth playing for?

Is the lack of a player pool sufficient evidence that a massive NATIONAL overhaul is needed before we can even dream of quality players fighting for their spot on the national team?

Maybe the villains are not the players themselves but the programs that failed them?

This is spot on.

Villains can also be the coaches. Reading about Sydney Leroux in the Vancouver Province, her coach directed her to play for the US due to to his apparent cluelessness.

Munoz is said to be the first person who suggested that Leroux, a Surrey native, take advantage of her father’s American roots and play for the U.S.

He says that he’s surprised with the commotion it has caused at times.

“In men’s soccer, we have seen players leave Canada for various other countries. When they come back, they aren’t treated the same way that Sydney sometime is. Fans don’t boo those players. I don’t know what it is.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Surrey+youth+coach+planted+seed+with+Leroux+playing/11078530/story.html#Comments

“In men’s soccer, we have seen players leave Canada for various other countries. When they come back, they aren’t treated the same way that Sydney sometime is. Fans don’t boo those players. I don’t know what it is.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Surrey+youth+coach+planted+seed+with+Leroux+playing/11078530/story.html#Comments

... Tell that to Bunbury.

He's absolutely right about this. Hargreaves was treated as a hero in most quarters (remember the Harper photo op?). A little bit of sexism, a little bit of going to the U.S. vs. England.

And Leroux is treated as a hero by the sycophantic Vancouver press. Same thing happened in 2012. Patriotism beyond the level of "our health care is so good" is frowned upon.

He's absolutely right about this. Hargreaves was treated as a hero in most quarters (remember the Harper photo op?). A little bit of sexism, a little bit of going to the U.S. vs. England.

Don't think sexism has much to do with it. The CMNT looses a lot and has a pretty poor public profile, where as the CWNT wins olympic medals. The average Canadian probably has more pride in the Women's Nat's then the Men's, and thus holds it against her more. Also, like you point out, a bit of a mild Canadian hate-on for our 1812  Derby rivals probably doesn't help her cause with the general public either.

Are we still giving this guy attention? God we're like desperate high school boys crying that our girlfriend left us. 

Just let it go already. Decent player but we have much better prospects. He's lost his chance and it'll be hard to break back in (if we even give him a chance). 

...Moving on.