Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm disappointed with the lack of Cavallini and Hutch, but is it wrong to be otherwise fine with this roster? We knew Bernier wasn't going to be there after his omission from the preliminary roster, but there's a fair number of in-form players here with a mix of interesting youngsters. Good to see the Aleman formality taken care of, it'll be nice if we see Teibert get regular starts. Simeon's international form hasn't been great, but he accepted the call despite being out of club which is more than we can say for some. The back line scares me a tad, and it would have been nice to see Nana Attakora, but I always looked at this tournament as being transitional anyways.

I wonder if this means Cavallini is involved in a transfer?

Either that or to speculate maybe he's hoping to be recalled to Nacional and doesn't want to jeopardize fitness/injury in what could be a big season for him if he can maintain his form from last season.

Either that or to speculate maybe he's hoping to be recalled to Nacional and doesn't want to jeopardize fitness/injury in what could be a big season for him if he can maintain his form from last season.

" En el dia de ayer comenzó pretemporada. Camargo y Poncet retornaron a Peñarol. Cavallini y Jimenez a Nacional."

It looks like he's joined Nacional for the pre-season at least.

Cavallini clearly wants to establish himself at Nacional but they don't play until the end of July he would have a ton of time to showcase himself too... just a shame and you obviously know it's being directed by parents/agents because there is NO WAY in hell a 20 year old is turning down a call for a continental championship just no way.

Cavallini clearly wants to establish himself at Nacional but they don't play until the end of July he would have a ton of time to showcase himself too... just a shame and you obviously know it's being directed by parents/agents because there is NO WAY in hell a 20 year old is turning down a call for a continental championship just no way.

Someone tweeted at Cavallini's brother about Lucas turning down the call, and his brother answer was that his family would not be too happy about him turning down the call.

I'm not down on this selection, sure things could be a bit better here and there, but when isn't that the case.

Goal: Borjan, Lars and Thomas, let Borjan and Lars push for starter and have Thomas get experience.

Defenders: Edgar and Henry in the centre and Ledgerwood and DeJong on the wings, Straith and Morgan as subs.

Mids: DeGuzeman and Johnson in the middle, Pacheco and Piette to push them/subs. Issey/Osario on the left and Aleman/Bekker on the right.

Forwards: Tiebert/REB/Haber/Jackson and Ricketts, there is a ten day camp, let them fight it out as to who are the two starters and who are the subs.

Right mid is iffy and a bit thin on back up on defence but otherwise not bad.

None of the DC United trio (MeRo, Jakovic, Porter). I am happy about one of those, but since JdG is on the team it's not like Miller has decided to get rid of all the washed-up cancers. Interesting.

Perhaps Miller excluded those three to motivate them all.

So, Cavallani is cap-tied right. He must be wanting to secure Nacional future and skipping a GC off-year. That makes me feel a little better.

Agreed. I'm not too worried about his decision, particularly if he establishes himself as a top striker in Uruguay. That could mean a transfer to Serie A or La Liga. There's a lot at stake for him in this off season.

Agreed. I'm not too worried about his decision, particularly if he establishes himself as a top striker in Uruguay. That could mean a transfer to Serie A or La Liga. There's a lot at stake for him in this off season.

Well said.

For me getting Aleman cap tied is job one. Especially with Costa Rica playing so well.

Generally, I think Miller is an idiot. If you're a haggis eating funny talker from the old country and Martin Rennie fires you, then you must be crap at your job.

The DCU omissions are really odd. The only thing I can think of with those guys in addition to Nana, is that management at the clubs is unstable and leaving to play international fixtures could easily put them out of the loop.

That being said it seems like we are constantly stretching on talent evaluations. Basically the CSA brass is saying they have a better eye for talent than the market (for the lack of a better term) does in general. History would seem to indicate they shouldn't be so bold.

will be a fun tourny to watch...for half of this roster it'll be good warmups for the U23 Olympic tourny in 3 years time too.

My big concern is the forward situation, without Cavallini I'm not sure where the scoring is going to come from.

Really disappointed about Hutch and Cavallini not being there, but the fact that Nana, Hainault, and Jakovic aren't there either makes us really thin at the back.

Any chance that Hutch or Cava are added for the knockout stage? I'm thinking about Hutch in particular, if his club situation clears up ...

I can't believe they have overlooked this guy, out of the entire squad that was named he is playing at a higher level than anyone

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=1964977.html

if the CSA have overlooked him......then here you go I've helped your scouting team!.......or is he another player that possibly does not want to represent Canada

Vitoria, **** that would be a great idea!

Archived