Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

I also tend to think that way but then I start to think a little deeper. Do we really need to give yet another shot to the same guys that have failed in every competition for the past decade? What do we have to lose by switching it up a bit? If you look at the times when we did have some success (2000, 2003, 2007) the rosters weren't all that great and in fact I'd say this team is STILL better on paper. You just never know with football and that's why we're fans. Let's go for it with this roster and see who impresses and survives for WCQ.

I'm happy with the youngsters called... guys who will undoubtedly be in this program down the line, not just guys that are there that may potentially be MNT players in 5 years. I don't think anyone here would disagree that Osorio, Teibert, Piette, Henry and Aleman make up the top tier of Canadian prospects. Cavallini would be in there too and he was called but declined so can't blame the CSA. Bekker is pretty well a blue chip prospect but he would have benefited by being left at home.

Yea, I'm still very excited for this tournament. From the younger players who are called, I'm really looking forward to seeing Teibert play, as he seems to be one of our most in-form players at the moment, along with Aleman who I personally haven't seen much of. Osorio has also impressed me from the games I've seen him in. Hopefully everyone will gel and make for an exciting Gold Cup run!

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also tend to think that way but then I start to think a little deeper. Do we really need to give yet another shot to the same guys that have failed in every competition for the past decade? What do we have to lose by switching it up a bit? If you look at the times when we did have some success (2000, 2003, 2007) the rosters weren't all that great and in fact I'd say this team is STILL better on paper. You just never know with football and that's why we're fans. Let's go for it with this roster and see who impresses and survives for WCQ.

I'm happy with the youngsters called... guys who will undoubtedly be in this program down the line, not just guys that are there that may potentially be MNT players in 5 years. I don't think anyone here would disagree that Osorio, Teibert, Piette, Henry and Aleman make up the top tier of Canadian prospects. Cavallini would be in there too and he was called but declined so can't blame the CSA. Bekker is pretty well a blue chip prospect but he would have benefited by being left at home.

Yeah, I tend to agree ... aside from Hutch and Cavallini (who were both called) I fairly happy with the choices. I would have liked to see Hume, and Bernier clearly has a case, but we can always pick away at rosters and have disagreements. All in all, the choices were not terrible ... it just really sucks that Hutch and Lucas are not available.

Also, from Steven Sandor, you can make up to 4 changes after the group stage, so perhaps a guy like Atiba Hutchinson or Andre Hainault could make it if we make the quarterfinals which is highly possible if they win against Martinique and don't get embarassed in the other 2 games.

@madmonte - I asked Bernier on twitter and he said he is still committed to the CanMNT. I asked if he was retired from CanMNT and he said "who said that? Not me" (he might have used exclamation marks. I can't remember). One can surmise he wanted to be called.

BUT, I agree with Keegan 100%. Definitely there's a couple I would have called over others, but, I do like this team! Win, lose, draw. At least we'll learn SOMETHING.

Bernier and De Guzman are two very different players. Bernier brings more O, De Guz more D. I think this squad is O heavy in the Midfield, and a bit lacking in the holding/ball winner position, experience wise. Plus Bernier is playing with a FANTASTIC Montreal squad, I think that overshadows some of his own inadequacies, sort of the opposite situation of what De Guz had at TFC.

@madmonte - I asked Bernier on twitter and he said he is still committed to the CanMNT. I asked if he was retired from CanMNT and he said "who said that? Not me" (he might have used exclamation marks. I can't remember). One can surmise he wanted to be called.

BUT, I agree with Keegan 100%. Definitely there's a couple I would have called over others, but, I do like this team! Win, lose, draw. At least we'll learn SOMETHING.

Yeah, I'd heard that too...but that doesn't stop him from having a conversation with his Impact coach about the hectic schedule, and he comes back to the CMNT at a less hectic time...just wondering, that's all. There was rumors going around that this was the case before the prelim roster even being announced...

He didn't have any say on the 35 man roster I can assure you of that. Marc Weber either didn't know or just chose poor wording (or maybe he asked about both at once and just got the same answer to cover both). He chose his 23 from the 35 roster selected by Fonseca/whoever.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/news/article/2013/06/25/gold-cup-canada-going-there-win-not-damage-limitation-says-interim-boss-coli

"On this occasion, he had no say in the initial 35-man draft roster but he had the final say on the group that starts camp on Wednesday in advance of Canada’s first game of the tournament against Martinique on July 7 at the Rose Bowl."

Leaving guys like Bernier, Hume and Klukowski off the 35 man roster looks to be a mistake from Fonsesca. I don't see how he can justify leaving those 3 off when they've been 3 of the most regularly playing Canadians all season and we've lost out on spots due to a guy like Aird turning it down... that was very stupid in hindsight. I thought they had an inside track on him if they were adding him but at least it covers their ass for later, doesn't do much for us as supporters though.

It's extra sickening to think that the guys left off: Bernier, Hume and De Rosario either didn't play or in Hume's case he was the only player who had a decent game in Honduras. To leave him off a preliminary roster after that while teammates from that day are shoo ins is a slap in the face.

You can assure me? You have some direct line of contact with Miller and Fonseca? Yes it is possible that Weber might have worded Miller's response wrong but I don't see why it is any less likely that Gavin Day got it wrong in his article. And the Weber version makes more sense. I find it hard to believe that Miller was not consulted given that Fonseca and the CSA must have known when they were making the decisions on the 35 man roster that there was a strong chance that Miller would be coach but you never know with the CSA. I certainly hope it was Miller's decision because hopefully after the Gold Cup he will never ever have anything to do with the MNT again. If Fonseca is to blame for the crappy 35 man initial roster than that does not bode well for the future as he currently occupies an important position with the CSA and it makes me question his competence as technical director.

Here is another article on the conference call with Miller: http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/6/25/4463462/canada-gold-cup-roster-aird-de-rosario-bernier-cavallini-jakovic

Yeah, I'd heard that too...but that doesn't stop him from having a conversation with his Impact coach about the hectic schedule, and he comes back to the CMNT at a less hectic time...just wondering, that's all. There was rumors going around that this was the case before the prelim roster even being announced...

I certainly don't recall any rumours of this before the prelim roster was announced. Rumours started because everyone was surprised he was not on the roster and they continue because people don't look at or ignore all the evidence to the contrary. Bernier was willing to go and the Impact were willing to let him go just like they have been letting Nyassi go to WCQ in Africa. He was simply not selected.

Bernier and De Guzman are two very different players. Bernier brings more O, De Guz more D. I think this squad is O heavy in the Midfield, and a bit lacking in the holding/ball winner position, experience wise. Plus Bernier is playing with a FANTASTIC Montreal squad, I think that overshadows some of his own inadequacies, sort of the opposite situation of what De Guz had at TFC.

Bernier doesn't bring more attack than defence, he does a lot of both including major destroying and ball recovery in the middle of the pitch. Also, he is far from riding the coattails of supposedly more talented European players at IMFC; he is the origin of the majority of their most dangerous attacking moves, his trademark seeming to be a good quick read followed by a well executed lob into the space between the opposing D and M; however by no means a one trick pony either. I remember DeGuzman at his best doing other things like being unusually good at quick low triangle play for a Canadian, but that was at the 2007 Gold Cup, and never replicated much at TFC.

I certainly don't recall any rumours of this before the prelim roster was announced. Rumours started because everyone was surprised he was not on the roster and they continue because people don't look at or ignore all the evidence to the contrary. Bernier was willing to go and the Impact were willing to let him go just like they have been letting Nyassi go to WCQ in Africa. He was simply not selected.

I definitely recall it being discussed, but dude...that's why I used the word RUMOR, not fact, and I'm sorry but I find it very difficult to believe that without Bernier or the Impact being involved that he simply was not selected...and neither were Tissot or Ouimette considered on a 35 man roster that included players of far less stature. You can't assure me that Bernier was willing to go and the Impact were willing to let him go any less than Keegan can assure you that Miller had no involvement in the 35 man roster.

I'm not saying it's impossible, however. Let's just say this...if they truly are ignoring the Montreal Impact as far as talent for the CMNT goes, someone needs to take a willow branch to their skulls. But I am dead serious that I had those rumors beforehand...I have to go to work, but if I remember I'll search for it after...

SJE getting Goodson must surely signal the end of Attakora in the first XI, no? Hopefully he can manufacture a move somewhere to get playing time as he does definitely have potential that hasn't yet been fulfilled.

There's enough stupidity here to go around. Sounds like both organizations have a ways to go when it comes to professionalism and hiring qualified people.

Edit: This quote from the article is somewhat awe inspiring: Nelsen said he had hoped they could have kept any two players for the Montreal game, but to this point they haven’t been able to reach anyone from the CSA.

Looks like Nelson is joining the time honoured tradition of TFC head coaches with the excuse making.

So Nelsen says "we try to develop as many young players as we can”

2 of the 4 players have been stapled to the bench under Nelsen (Morgan and Bekker), and you could argue that Morgan has regressed under him. Not sure how they are being developed.

Not only that, its been nearly 2 years since TFC has signed an Academy graduate if you don't include Roberts (and I don't include Osorio either who shouldn't really count).

Yeah, this is really stupid. They haven't been using some of these guys at all and Osorio has only been starting as of late. If they want to develop young Canadians players then maybe they shouldn't have cut Stinson so they could sign could Richter.

You don't keep a weaker Canadian player just because he's Canadian. That doesn't develop Canadian talent, that just ensures it's okay for Canadian talent to be not up to snuff.

Archived