Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 10 day camp in Oxnard CA starts thursday, I would expect the roster today or tommorrow. I expect that the final calls have gone out to the MLS teams about who the Canadians want. If DeRo didn't play this weekend due to an injury, how likely are DC to release him for the gold cup?

I though De Rosario was being held back for their US Open Cup match coming up on Wednesday. Considering that is all DCU has left to play for. Why not rest him and take a shot at qualifying for next years CCL.

Exactly what is happening, you are right :) TFC has followed this route too

At this point, is it tough to expect a preparatory friendly before the GC?

I'll be really disappointed if we don't play at least one match against someone, anyone ... I'd take a closed door friendly against a club team right now!

More from twitter (Larson and Molinaro are the sources).

Four TFC players will be on the Canada Gold Cup squad: Henry, Osorio, Bekker and Morgan.

Also, the final roster was suppose to be announced today but it has been delayed until tomorrow. The hold up is that there are 4 out of contract players who aren't sure about playing and risking injury. My guess is don't expect to see guys like Hutchinson at the Gold Cup.

More from twitter (Larson and Molinaro are the sources).

Also, the final roster was suppose to be announced today but it has been delayed until tomorrow. The hold up is that there are 4 out of contract players who aren't sure about playing and risking injury. My guess is don't expect to see guys like Hutchinson at the Gold Cup.

Four out of contract players: Hutchinson, Hume, Hainault, Haber, Haber and DeGuzeman. Which were asked, which said yes and which hesiated?

Four out of contract players: Hutchinson, Hume, Hainault, Haber, Haber and DeGuzeman. Which were asked, which said yes and which hesiated?

First Marcus Haber is under contract, he's only transfer-listed which means that he does indeed have one.

Hume is not on the 35-man roster which means that it doesn't really matter with him and he's still under contract with PNE, the only question is what will the club do with him.

Randy Edwini-Bonsu and Simeon Jackson are also out of contract.

TIL a 20-year-old rookie midfielder with three goals to his credit in his first half-season in MLS is mediocre because he plays for TFC.

On three shots on target. 0.548 SoG/90. Not bad for his age. In absolute terms, which is what you're talking about for trying to win a Gold Cup?

I don't understand why Osorio is the focus. The roster stands to be incredibly weak and that's not even close to the first place that I'd cast a speculative glance.

The way Morgan has played this year, I question whether he'll still be in MLS come 2014. Henry is still very much a young defender good for one large error a game. Bekker barely plays and has looked so-so in his limited action. Even outside TFC I see several names on that list that do not have a single minute of first team action to their name.

For the guys that are going to miss due to being out of contract I really don't see that as a solid excuse. You can bet that if Rooney was out of contract he'd still be playing for England. It's their career and they are free to do what they wish but for those that make those choice I think we highlight their names for the future when maybe they are in a battle for a WCQ roster spot or *gasp* even a WORLD CUP roster spot and take it into account that they turned a call down before for a MAJOR tournament.

The TFC calls I'm really not crazy about for many reasons (TFC's standing in the league isn't one because this is a league built on parity, that's like Canada Hockey not calling up Rick Nash when he was on Columbus) but the two obvious ones are this: Bekker and Morgan are as undeserving as it comes at this point... WTF. It would actually be much more beneficial for Bekker to stay at TFC while Osorio is at the Gold Cup to get MINUTES and help TFC... this is just stupid on the part of the CSA and TFC.

Safe to say assume Aird on Aleman will NOT be on the final roster if we're calling in Bekker... FFS. He was a guy I had pencilled in months ago but you can't give him a spot for sitting on the bench that's not right.

For the guys that are going to miss due to being out of contract I really don't see that as a solid excuse. You can bet that if Rooney was out of contract he'd still be playing for England. It's their career and they are free to do what they wish but for those that make those choice I think we highlight their names for the future when maybe they are in a battle for a WCQ roster spot or *gasp* even a WORLD CUP roster spot and take it into account that they turned a call down before for a MAJOR tournament.

Not sure I agree with your logic there. Rooney doesn't have to worry for his livelihood the way some of these guys do. Alot of these dudes are hoping to get on a roster as a fringe player. If they lost out on a contract because of an injury or a missed camp it would do alot more damage to their long term outlook than a guy like Rooney.

Archived