Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

Just thinking is Will Johnson the only player on the squad who is his club captain?

Really hope he is made captain of the team over JDG.

I would go with JDG for captain.. He always works hard and puts in a good shift for CANMNT.

not to mention I don't recall him ever turning down a call up.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is BS. I have no problem with constructive criticism or even non-constructive justified criticism. This was Miller pokering around with players on his club whose status at his club was not certain with the intent of achieving a resolution to the situation that was beneficial to himself at the club level and to cover his ass in case things did not work out like he wanted. A disgusting abuse of power. A national team coach should not be playing club politics with players while he is supposed to be coaching and representing his country. I lost any respect I had for Miller because of that.

That's just if you assume his comments had to do with his coaching position, in which case I would agree that it was an unacceptable abuse of power. I tend to think however that FCE knew Porter was gone long before the camp even started.

Miller has also known Porter long before their relationship at FCE so I tend to think the comments are more of a personal thing dating back years. Remember, Porter was also suspiciously cut from the U23 team we all thought he was a lock for (they stated it was an injury but he was playing for FCE soon after). Miller putting Porter into a shop window by playing him when MLS scouts are around (ultimately leading to his trial and signing with DCU) probably wasn't the brightest thing to do IF he actually was directing his comments from a club perspective.

Ultimately none of us know the real story here so it's tough to say for sure. Obviously Miller's dealings with Hamilton have left a sour taste with most.

On Cavallini turning down the call....

Agreed. I'm not too worried about his decision, particularly if he establishes himself as a top striker in Uruguay. That could mean a transfer to Serie A or La Liga. There's a lot at stake for him in this off season.

I know he is cap-tied, but I'm hoping at one point this prima donna attitude amongst Canadian soccer players stop. Imagine a 20 yr old hockey player turning down a call up from the national team... it would never happen.

There's certainly a lot of high level Canadian talent that won't be there. A lot of people were calling for that, though. I personally wasn't one of them, but I can go with the flow...a lot of those "high level guys" will be fairly aged for the next WCQ anyways. I'm actually thinking I might have given Daniel Haber a look, but I guess we'll see...

Surprised noone has puked at Rickett's name, but I'll give him credit, he's ALWAYS accepting the call. But as his club career at 1st tier Norway seems to be going nowhere, I'd put him pretty far down the depth chart. As in behind Daniel Haber and Frank Jonke.

I believe Jonke is still dealing with injury problems though, from my research on Finland sites...and Haber is JUST in the process of changing clubs. Occean wasn't even on the prelim roster. Cavallini declined.

Welcome back Ricketts...sigh...I will say this, I admire his reliability.

There's certainly a lot of high level Canadian talent that won't be there. A lot of people were calling for that, though. I personally wasn't one of them, but I can go with the flow...a lot of those "high level guys" will be fairly aged for the next WCQ anyways. I'm actually thinking I might have given Daniel Haber a look, but I guess we'll see...

Surprised noone has puked at Rickett's name, but I'll give him credit, he's ALWAYS accepting the call. But as his club career at 1st tier Norway seems to be going nowhere, I'd put him pretty far down the depth chart. As in behind Daniel Haber and Frank Jonke.

I believe Jonke is still dealing with injury problems though, from my research on Finland sites...and Haber is JUST in the process of changing clubs. Occean wasn't even on the prelim roster. Cavallini declined.

Welcome back Ricketts...sigh...I will say this, I admire his reliability.

Well, I'd never turn down a call to the CMNT but even I would be pissed if they called me in! I love Ricketts for his committment but there has to be something more than committment ... Some sort of production has to come, otherwise, what's the point. If Ricketts were defensively responsible, I could almost forgive the fact that he can't dribble 3 feet without losing the ball.

Either that or to speculate maybe he's hoping to be recalled to Nacional and doesn't want to jeopardize fitness/injury in what could be a big season for him if he can maintain his form from last season.

He's already back with Nacional and he's been part of their pre season friendlies. Started a game or two friendlies vs lower division clubs btw

Well, I'd never turn down a call to the CMNT but even I would be pissed if they called me in! I love Ricketts for his committment but there has to be something more than committment ... Some sort of production has to come, otherwise, what's the point. If Ricketts were defensively responsible, I could almost forgive the fact that he can't dribble 3 feet without losing the ball.

I'm not a Ricketts fan but 5 goals in 23 caps is pretty damn good for us in terms of production (and considering many appearances have been off the bench). I don't agree with madmonte that Ricketts has fallen behind a guy like Frank Jonke, that would make no sense. It's not his fault that we don't have more talented strikers... Ricketts deserves to be in this team when you consider the level he has played at, caps and age but he needs to be used as a super sub up top or on the wing, he should never be used as a right midfielder and don't start him... ever.

I just don't get why anybody would want JDG (or Pacheco or Piette for that matter) over Bernier for this tournament. Don't get it one bit.

Decent write up from Vancouver-based Marc Weber: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/06/25/whitecaps-teibert-thomas-on-canadas-gold-cup-roster/?postpost=v2#content

I predict 0W 2L and a sadsack 1-1 draw with Martinique. This has one round and out written all over it, imo.

So you'got Ricketts with a strike rate of one goal every 4.6 games, for comparison DeRo is at one every 3.6 games and Gerba is at one every two games. I could be mistaken but I don't think that anyone in the current group , either in this squad or unable to show this time around has a strike rate much better than Ricketts. Let someone take the opportunity to show that they can step up.

I'm not a Ricketts fan but 5 goals in 23 caps is pretty damn good for us in terms of production (and considering many appearances have been off the bench). I don't agree with madmonte that Ricketts has fallen behind a guy like Frank Jonke, that would make no sense. It's not his fault that we don't have more talented strikers... Ricketts deserves to be in this team when you consider the level he has played at, caps and age but he needs to be used as a super sub up top or on the wing, he should never be used as a right midfielder and don't start him... ever.

On a couple of those goals I think he tripped and the ball somehow went in? nah just kidding...but his turnover rate is a little high for me. You are probably right that calling him below Jonke may be a little harsh...but then Jonke is actually doing not horribly in Finland...at least last year. This year struggling with injuries a bit, but he's one of Jaro's top players. I'm a little predisposed though, been following Finland closely and watching live streams a bit. So basically, I'm watching Jonke play against worse competition than I've ever seen Rickett's play against, and that makes a big difference on my viewpoint, which is somewhat favourable of Jonke, but he certainly isn't a good option for us moving forward either.

However...Sandes Ulf is the bottom team in Norway's top flight...and a healthy Ricketts is basically starting to become bench fodder there after being somewhat highly touted coming in, as an advertised "top Canadian player", if I remember a couple of the Norway forums I translated coming in. I just don't think highly of the player, but as my previous post mentioned...it's not like we have a lot of other forward options to choose from.

You are right...putting him on the wing is useless...as a front striker with pace, he has a chance, but in that position for talent, I'd rather see Jackson play 90 than Ricketts touch the pitch...

And we could sit here and call Jackson out of form...but then Ricketts is twice as out of form, so yeah.

Also disappointed about Cavallini not being there. Is Miller taking a shot at Kevin McKenna's Honduras half-time comments with this remark?:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/news/article/2013/06/25/gold-cup-canada-going-there-win-not-damage-limitation-says-interim-boss-coli

Me thinks so. And why not. It was a pathetic comment by McKenna, and it mirrored his pathetic performance that game, while wearing the arm band of his country no less. At least he's had the dignity to stay away since then. For that I have to give him credit.

Me thinks so. And why not. It was a pathetic comment by McKenna, and it mirrored his pathetic performance that game, while wearing the arm band of his country no less. At least he's had the dignity to stay away since then. For that I have to give him credit.

McKenna has a serious injury.

I just don't get why anybody would want JDG (or Pacheco or Piette for that matter) over Bernier for this tournament. Don't get it one bit.

Decent write up from Vancouver-based Marc Weber: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/06/25/whitecaps-teibert-thomas-on-canadas-gold-cup-roster/?postpost=v2#content

I predict 0W 2L and a sadsack 1-1 draw with Martinique. This has one round and out written all over it, imo.

That might actually be the best result possible just like if we were not going to qualify for the Hex, the 8-1 drubbing was the best possible result. The 8-1 got rid of any excuse for keeping Hart and apparently made the CSA start looking at serious qualified coaches. However, I still don't trust them not to do something really stupid like hiring Yallop or giving Miller the job full time. An embarrassing tournament and another rock bottom as hard as it will be on us fans might still be necessary medicine for the CSA to get their act together and do what is right for the MNT.

Also from the article you posted:

Miller said it was his choice to leave off older veterans Dwayne De Rosario of D.C. United, 35, and Patrice Bernier of the Montreal Impact, 33. Both were disappointed but understood the reasoning, Miller said.

“We’re looking at moving the national program forward and it was just a case of numbers,” said Miller. “I felt with this particular group it was a chance to get talented young players in that are desperate for an opportunity.”

So I guess that is why we have JDG there as a veteran player to show all the young players how to make back pass after back pass after back pass. I am glad we are picking the right veterans to set an example for our players.

I have to say, I would take McKenna on this team (with that list of defenders) in a heartbeat.

You're right that 5 goals in 23 caps is reasonable ... and I know it's dangerous to start explaining goals away because, after all, a goal is a goal. BUT, some of those came against very weak opponents (e.g. 11-man Cuba, garbage goal vs. St. K&N). The Ecuador goal also might have an asterisk next to it because it was a heady play by JDG, but he did finish it well. The Puerto Rico and T&T goals were fine, although still not against very good teams.

He sucked vs. Honduras (I know everyone did, but he was up there on the ****ty-ness list), he sucked vs. Belarus, he sucked vs. Denmark, he was ok vs. the U.S. And he has been pretty bad for his club.

I agree that he should be on the team in some capacity right now, but mostly because Cavallini and Hume (and DeRo) aren't there. If they were, I don't see how you keep him in the 23. IMO, he's behind Jackson and M. Haber.

Also from the article you posted:

So I guess that is why we have JDG there as a veteran player to show all the young players how to make back pass after back pass after back pass. I am glad we are picking the right veterans to set an example for our players.

I know you are being sarcastic, but this boggles my mind.

We all know that Grizz is not the biggest JDG fan, but that is some "terry dunfield" type hate right there. Lol

Aside from experience, JDG doesn't offer a whole lot. He keeps possession well which is always welcome for a Canadian team, but he doesn't have much bite on the defensive side and he is not a serious threat when it comes to long range efforts at goal. So yeah, he really has become one of those "back pass" kind of guys for us, but Piette is a very similar player. Difference is that being 19 years old, he has the legs to put in more defensive work, and he can certainly strike a ball (from both open play and set pieces). I see value in keeping JDG in the NT pool for the next few years while Piette transitions into this role, but by 2015 I fully expect Piette to be the undesputed first choice guy for this role, with JDG being kept around for emergency purposes only (or less). By this time I envision Piette as a starter for the first team of Fortuna Dusseldorf as well.

I'm not thrilled about Piette being on the squad either. WTF has he ever done to deserve his call-ups? I'd rather see Di Chiara, Wassey, or even Alderson. At least these guys have played more than 2 pro matches.

It appears that Bekker and Piette are sort of the 'teacher pets' for the guys selecting the CMNT.

I wonder how fit Piette is. He looked fat the last time I saw him play for Canada.

On Cavallini turning down the call....

I know he is cap-tied, but I'm hoping at one point this prima donna attitude amongst Canadian soccer players stop. Imagine a 20 yr old hockey player turning down a call up from the national team... it would never happen.

Don't think it's a prima donna attitude. I think its a kid trying to secure his career in a volatile situation.

I'm not thrilled about Piette being on the squad either. WTF has he ever done to deserve his call-ups? I'd rather see Di Chiara, Wassey, or even Alderson. At least these guys have played more than 2 pro matches.

I think it is fair to question whether Piette deserves to be included, but I would certainly put him ahead of those you listed. First of all Wassey is not even the same type of player so I will leave that alone, but Alderson (who is the same age) has less NT experience and furthermore he is not even seeing the field in the North American third tier. Piette has also proven he is not out of place with the full NT side while Alderson is a complete unknown at that level. I see no argument to suggest he should be called over Piette. JDC started his career well but he seems to now be going in the other direction and only recently made a positive move club wise but it remains to be seen if he even sees the field. Piette is younger and on an upward trajectory and again he has more experience at this level so I have no problem with him being selected over JDC.

Archived