Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

I thought Morgan played well enough in the most recent friendly for Canada. He can be a back up for both Left Mid and D if necessary.

As for Bernier, that is ****ing insane if he is being left off because Fonseca/Miller don't want to call him.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing WEAK I see is pathetic pre-emptive moaning from people who claim to be fans. Tomorrow (or the next day) our team for the Gold Cup will be picked. Show some stones and stand up for em, and save your bitching for your knitting!

How interesting. Supporters are not allowed to criticize? Well, I look forward to talking to you in Seattle and Denver about this, since with your ferocious hardcore supporterness that puts us all to shame I'm sure you'll be going to all three games.

Morgan's form has not changed. He is simply not in the plans of Nelsen, who has a 'long ball' approach to running a team, which seems to be working. Morgan is a wingback, not Morgan's style. I question whether he will stay at TFC, but not his ability. Bekker on the other hand....

Maybe Morgan's form hasn't changed, but the league around him has now that it has tape on the way he plays and is regularly exploiting his weaknesses. You see it happen in MLS all the time, guy comes in and has a hot first season. Next year teams take him out of his tendencies and he fades to the background.

While I'm not much of a fan of Ryan Nelsen, blaming Morgan's exclusion in the name of long ball is a huge stretch. The shortfalls in Morgan's game are numerous. He doesn't read the game well, gives up possession far too often, isn't a great short passer of the ball. These problems were always there but now teams more readily understand them.

I don't know how you can't question his ability. He's a very limited footballer living off athletic ability and a left foot that is not very versatile.

Weak? Well how strong was our squad in Honduras? Many on here, including myself, believed in the strength of those men at that time. And look how that turned out. Who would we bring back, of the miserable bastards who shamed their nation that day? Hume? his club situation is sketchy at best. Weak?

I'd bring back that players that we have who are performing the best and not fool myself that *new* options are necessarily better. Some of this roster juggling is simply looking for a way out of this current situation when there are no quick fixes.

Reality is: the team that lost 8-0 may not have been our best team, but it was pretty close to it. National team can't develop players, it can only make use of the best resources it has available to it.

If it's a second rate roster cause of guys turning invites down due to being out of contract or whatever, then the team needs to cap tie the **** out of everybody they possibly can.

Absolutely. Bekker over Aleman/Aird is stupid at this point.

Wrong thread, but curious if the TFC support would be interested in trading Bekker and Morgan to the Caps for Darren Mattocks?

Everybody selling low! Exchange your problems! Swap your guys who aren't probably as bad as they've looked lately but rely too heavily on their athleticism and will never amount to anything!

Are we sure Aleman and Aird even want to be at the Gold Cup?

I have to think Aleman does. Costa Rica has a chance to make some real noise in this tournament and it would be a fillip to his career to be a part of that.

GK- Milan Borjan | TUR / Sivasspor

GK- Lars Hirschfeld | NOR / Vålerenga Fotball

GK- Simon Thomas | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

D- Marcel de Jong | GER / FC Augsburg

D- David Edgar | ENG / Burnley FC

D- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC

D- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC

D- Adam Straith | Unattached / sans club

D/M- Nik Ledgerwood | SWE / Hammarby Fotboll

M- Keven Aleman | ESP / Real Valladolid

M- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC

M - Julian de Guzman | Unattached / sans club

M- Will Johnson | USA / Portland Timbers

M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | CYP / Alki Larnaca

M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC

M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / C.D. Santa Clara

M- Samuel Piette | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf

M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

M/F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | Unattached / sans club

F- Marcus Haber | ENG / Stevenage FC

F- Simeon Jackson | Unattached / sans club

F- Tosaint Ricketts | NOR / Sandnes Ulf

crap I just realized there was no Cavallini. I would have liked to see him play.

No Cavallini, Porter, Hutch, Nana or DeRo. WOW. Like seriously why not Nana or Cavallini?

Well we can cap-tie Aleman at least, see ya later Aird.

As weak as this roster looks in comparison to what it could be, this team on paper is still probably equal or better than most of our past Gold Cup squads save 2009/2011 and those were two of our poorer tournaments.

My money is on that last spot going to a DCU player after their USOC match tomorrow.

To be fair, this Gold Cup is going to have a lot of teams playing their B teams. This team looks like a B for the most part (some of them starters while others have no business being on the roster unless Canada is having trouble finding players).

As weak as this roster looks in comparison to what it could be, this team on paper is still probably equal or better than most of our past Gold Cup squads save 2009/2011 and those were two of our poorer tournaments.

We played passably well in 2009 apart from the quarter-final. It was our best tournament of any stripe since 2007.

Archived