Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

I agree Richter is garbage, but Stinson hasn't shown anything special in his game either. Hopefully Stinson can find a club (Ottawa Fury?) soon. I still think he's capable of being a good squad player in MLS down the line, but I don't see him in national men's team fold.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes I do. he had what, 4 different coaches who all thought he wasn't much more than a bench warmer? It's nice that he was a young Canadian player but I have no reason to think he was very good at all. Combine that with the rumors that his work ethic wasn't up to snuff.

yes I do. he had what, 4 different coaches who all thought he wasn't much more than a bench warmer? It's nice that he was a young Canadian player but I have no reason to think he was very good at all. Combine that with the rumors that his work ethic wasn't up to snuff.

Two coaches (mariner and nelsen) who didn't give him an opportunity and Aron Winter who saw enough to signer him as a pro and give him playing time where he was praised by Theirry Henry for his play at right back as well as the good performances he put in during the CCL and playing well enought to earn a call up the senior national team. That is hardly a bench warmer for 4 coaches. What exactly has Ritcher done that makes you think he is a better player? Has he had any games that he has played well in?

Two coaches (mariner and nelsen) who didn't give him an opportunity and Aron Winter who saw enough to signer him as a pro and give him playing time where he was praised by Theirry Henry for his play at right back as well as the good performances he put in during the CCL and playing well enought to earn a call up the senior national team. That is hardly a bench warmer for 4 coaches. What exactly has Ritcher done that makes you think he is a better player? Has he had any games that he has played well in?

I know people want to get more Canadians in the fold, but some guys just aren't going to make it. I saw nothing from Stinson to suggest he was ever going to stick in MLS. Not cutting it athletically or technically. Henry was asked a question from a reporter and he gave a response. He gave probably the only response possible. He's not going to say anything less than he was impressed , because to say otherwise makes him sound like an *******.

I won't skate around it, Ritcher is much more capable than Stinson. He might not stick with the team and need to be replaced but that's part of the deal. Someone doesn't work out you try to replace them with someone better. Sometimes the next guy doesn't work either, but no fault in trying.

We have very different perspectives on this. Personally I think Winter was the worst thing to happen to this kid. Winter clearly didn't know the caliber of the MLS and repeatedly showed a misguided perspective on the talent required to make it in the league. Without Winter Stinson could've kept his amateur status and at least had an opportunity at the NCAA. Winter signed alot of people to contracts at TFC who had no business being in the league.

This is a player who was on a league minimum contract that didn't even count against the cap because he was a homegrown player. There were a ton of concessions to help ensure he made it. The fact he isn't on the roster anymore, to me, says alot about how he wasn't good enough.

"We let Canada use our facilities..." I don't think he understands that BMO Field was partially built by the CSA in 2007 to help Canada Soccer.

Why MLS cannot coordinate with CONCACAF and FIFA dates, after all these years is beyond me. But since all of MLS is affected, TFC really can't use this excuse for their unfortunate record.

"We let Canada use our facilities..." I don't think he understands that BMO Field was partially built by the CSA in 2007 to help Canada Soccer.

Why MLS cannot coordinate with CONCACAF and FIFA dates, after all these years is beyond me. But since all of MLS is affected, TFC really can't use this excuse for their unfortunate record.

Good point.

I wouldn't call it 'partially' though. The CSA's portion on the initial investment (through its lobbying) was around $70 million vs. the $10 million MLSE chipped in (which they immediately recouped with the stadium naming rights).

One thing to note, Stefan Cebara's lack of inclusion into the squad does free him for Celje's first round of Europa qualifying. Roger Thompson of Mariehahm is also in the first round, Mariehahm qualifying through FIFA Fair Play. These fixtures take place July 7th and 11th, home and away leg. What's interesting is if both teams go through, they will end up playing each other in the 2nd round later in the month.

Nelson on Bernier and his exclusion from the Gold Cup squad:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/01/tfcs-trade-with-chivas-opens-spot-for-new-dp

“You kind of get slapped in both cheeks,” Nelsen said.

Not only are the Reds without a few warm bodies, but Canada’s decision to leave Canadian midfielder Patrice Bernier off its roster is rubbing Nelsen the wrong way.

“Probably the most consistent Canadian player in this league is going to be playing against us, yet Canada Soccer is saying they want to win the Gold Cup,” Nelsen said. “But they’re not picking the best players. We develop players and then take them away and then we have to play against Bernier.”

Nelson on Bernier and his exclusion from the Gold Cup squad:

“Probably the most consistent Canadian player in this league is going to be playing against us, yet Canada Soccer is saying they want to win the Gold Cup,” Nelsen said. “But they’re not picking the best players. We develop players and then take them away and then we have to play against Bernier.”

Good to see Nelson started paying attention to the national team after Patrice Bernier chased his tail for for 78 minutes in Panama. A rather myopic shot across the bow by Nelson.

Good to see Nelson started paying attention to the national team after Patrice Bernier chased his tail for for 78 minutes in Panama. A rather myopic shot across the bow by Nelson.

Yeah, I'm with you ... does Nelson not have enough on his plate with TFC, or should I take this as a sign that he is throwing his hat in the ring for the vacant Canadian MNT head coaching job?

Nelsen called Bernier one of the most consistent Canadian performers, but in the context on the quote it was clear he was talking about league play.

Bernier has not had a good match for Canada in some time, but at least against Panama he was being played out of position.

Bernier has not had a good match for Canada in some time, but at least against Panama he was being played out of position.

100% correct. Poor, yet not all his fault. I just think that despite how lights out Bernier is playing with club as of late, Nelson is out of his element by kicking over rocks & armchair quarterbacking. Just seems petty.

Nelsen called Bernier one of the most consistent Canadian performers, but in the context on the quote it was clear he was talking about league play.

Bernier has not played regularly for the MNT since 2009. In the last 3 and half years he has only played in 6 matches.

Nelsen needs to let this thing drop already. 2 of the 4 players were not going to be in the lineup anyways (Bekker and Morgan), and another would have been suspended.

I don't understand why Canada doesn't let Bekker stay for one match. He should be a fringe player on this Gold Cup team and they're playing Ventura County in a friendly tonight. He needs competitive matches, he's a new pro get him back to Toronto for the match against Montreal. I think that would be a win for all sides involved, no?

My guess based on TFC's squad is that Nelsen is complaining about the whole group but he really just needs/wants Osorio for the Montreal match.

I don't understand why Canada doesn't let Bekker stay for one match. He should be a fringe player on this Gold Cup team and they're playing Ventura County in a friendly tonight. He needs competitive matches, he's a new pro get him back to Toronto for the match against Montreal. I think that would be a win for all sides involved, no?

My guess based on TFC's squad is that Nelsen is complaining about the whole group but he really just needs/wants Osorio for the Montreal match.

Everything you say here about Bekker is a reason for him to not be called at all. The fact that he is of little to no use for TFC should go double for Canada this point in his career.

Nelsen needs to let this thing drop already. 2 of the 4 players were not going to be in the lineup anyways (Bekker and Morgan), and another would have been suspended.

With the absence of Henry and Osario Bekker and Morgan might well have been in the lineup. I assume Miller is calling Bekker for his freekick-corner abilities and that that is how we are expecting to score goals. While Bekker is indeed better at this skill than anyone we have had recently he is otherwise pretty useless on the pitch and could very well cost us some goals/possession. I don't think we can really afford to have a player in a kind of designated hitter role who otherwise is not performing adequately on the pitch. While it is nice to score the odd goal on a set piece, I don't think it really helps us long term to be depending on that instead of working on scoring during the run of play which is less likely to happen with Bekker on the pitch.

I'd look at it this way: TFC calling Osorio and Henry (legitimately, or close to it) would have left opportunity for Bekker and Morgan to make an impression and get closer to earning minutes. And really, if they start playing more at TFC, that's going to do a lot more to make them effective for the national team than 3 piddly gold cup games.

If I were the CSA, I'd say he can keep the two of them, but he has to get them on the field. If he doesn't, well then the CSA can raid the pantry next time and TFC can't complain much.

I'd look at it this way: TFC calling Osorio and Henry (legitimately, or close to it) would have left opportunity for Bekker and Morgan to make an impression and get closer to earning minutes. And really, if they start playing more at TFC, that's going to do a lot more to make them effective for the national team than 3 piddly gold cup games.

If I were the CSA, I'd say he can keep the two of them, but he has to get them on the field. If he doesn't, well then the CSA can raid the pantry next time and TFC can't complain much.

Next time being what, 2015 for Gold Cup?

Archived