Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

As they contemplate why the team cannot score from open play? We don't have to wait for DeRo's retirement to contemplate why we do not score from open play because we do not score from open play now. DeRo does not score from open play for Canada and the team as a whole does not score from open play with him in the lineup. If we did his flaws would be forgiven. If he produced like he does in MLS he wouldn't receive the criticism he does.

+1

Take Cuba out of the equation and the last time we scored a goal in open play was against a minnow.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gerba pretty much ONLY scored from open play!

Totally off topic, like the last 20 pages of this thread, Gerba's goal against Mexico in Edmonton back in 2008 was the absolute best Voyageurs' moment I've had!

blah blah blah... what we NEED is Ali Gerba. The only man in the last 5 years who has shown he can actually score for the CMNT with an absurdly high strike-rate. The harsh reality that we're all too scared to admit :) The man who scored both game winning goals in the 2009 Gold Cup. The man who scored against Mexico and set up the other.
No, couldn't have him. He's too fat, one dimensional blah, blah, blah. I always get a kick out of how some people here ignore results because a person doesn't fit the mould they want to fit them in. Hell, Kevin McKenna's strike rate when he was played at forward is probably next best to Gerba.

Totally off topic, like the last 20 pages of this thread, Gerba's goal against Mexico in Edmonton back in 2008 was the absolute best Voyageurs' moment I've had!
Was it Gerba who finished a three way passing play between JDG and Hutch against Guatemala 3-0 in the Gold Cup. That was one of the best Canadian goals I've seen. (I might have the participants wrong :) )

One word of caution about Cavallini.

After his season I was somewhat surprised there wasn't talk of transfers and such. I read an article, sort of, in Spanish, that mentioned he was very good in the attack. But did not go further.

Looking at his performance data in transfernarkt one thing stands out. Most of his goals were scored either as part of a an ass whipping where his teanm scored 3 or more goals. Or they were scored in losses where his was the only goal.

Conclusion, while some of his loss goals were scored fairly early, seems most of his goals had little effect on the actual outcome of the game. I wonder how much of Ali Gerba's scoring professionally was of the same nature.

soooooo.... pretty exciting that we have such young players that look like they can play a role in th GC. Teibert, Cavalini, Osorio, Henry, Piette, Porter, Aleman, Aird.

(smooth transition from the pages of Dero talk??)

One word of caution about Cavallini.

After his season I was somewhat surprised there wasn't talk of transfers and such. I read an article, sort of, in Spanish, that mentioned he was very good in the attack. But did not go further.

Looking at his performance data in transfernarkt one thing stands out. Most of his goals were scored either as part of a an ass whipping where his teanm scored 3 or more goals. Or they were scored in losses where his was the only goal.

Conclusion, while some of his loss goals were scored fairly early, seems most of his goals had little effect on the actual outcome of the game. I wonder how much of Ali Gerba's scoring professionally was of the same nature.

When Juventud where on tv a couple a weeks ago the announcer couldn't stop gushing about Cavallini and how he was such an important part of the teams push to qualify for the Copa Sudamericana.

When Juventud where on tv a couple a weeks ago the announcer couldn't stop gushing about Cavallini and how he was such an important part of the teams push to qualify for the Copa Sudamericana.

GOOOOAAAAALLLL!!!!! that kind of gushing? Look I was just mentioning the stats. I still like him as a player, watched one of the replays had a great goal where he ran a third of the pitch and scored.

I was just saying that the goals to game ratio isn't the only part of his story. As I'm sure we all agree, this GC will be a big opportunity for him to step up.

GOOOOAAAAALLLL!!!!! that kind of gushing?

No he spent the first 20 minutes talking about how he was such a great player. Talked about how important he was for Juventud (at the time he was their leading scorer, he now is in second with 1 less goal), how impressive it was that he was leading such a small team to a copa sudamericana spot, how he thought he should be playing for a much bigger club in Uruguay and how he thought he was such an important part of the future of the canmnt. Look, I am just trying to show it's not only voyageurs who hold him in high regard.

And from my own perspective I thought he played really well and had great movement off of the ball. But that is just my opinion.

It's the GolTV guy so I don't take it that seriously about Cavallini. He's the guy who does any league that is on GolTV.

He's constantly commentating. I'm watching firstrow, he's doing our CONCACAF WCQ games too. I actually like his commentary. Such and such with the..."wrong" pass...leading to the "wrong" cross...

I've caught a few Liga MX games off of the Gol TV radar too, and there he is again doing the english feed. Does a lot of work, that's for sure. He is definitely pro-Canadian. Which is fine by me.

Was it Gerba who finished a three way passing play between JDG and Hutch against Guatemala 3-0 in the Gold Cup. That was one of the best Canadian goals I've seen. (I might have the participants wrong :) )

I think that was Bernier, but not sure, best goal I've seen Canada score since I started watching. Kind of upset to not here more about Aird. I know next to nothing about him I just want closure on the situation lol. Really hope Osorio and Teibert get a chance to show what they can do at this tournament.

I think that was Bernier, but not sure, best goal I've seen Canada score since I started watching. Kind of upset to not here more about Aird. I know next to nothing about him I just want closure on the situation lol. Really hope Osorio and Teibert get a chance to show what they can do at this tournament.

Nope, Gerba.

For me, one of the best (if not the best) goals by the CMNT was in the 2007 friendly match against Costa Rica at BMO. DeRosario scores an absolute cracker of a volley with his left foot, top shelf. Assist was from a 30 yard cross field pass from JDG. Can't find the clip on youtube though.

For me, one of the best (if not the best) goals by the CMNT was in the 2007 friendly match against Costa Rica at BMO. DeRosario scores an absolute cracker of a volley with his left foot, top shelf. Assist was from a 30 yard cross field pass from JDG. Can't find the clip on youtube though.

Agreed. That was my first live MNT match and it was a cracker of a goal. I can't find it on youtube either, but I know it used to be there... If memory serves me correct there used to be a video of that goal titled "De Rosario unleashes a rocket KABOOM!"

That goal against Guatemala is definitely up there but one of my favourite Canada goals was definitely Gerba's winner against Jamaica in the 2009 Gold Cup (in my picture).. just a great finish from the run of play in a match that counted and it turned out to be the winner.

Archived