Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe they have overlooked this guy, out of the entire squad that was named he is playing at a higher level than anyone

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=1964977.html

if the CSA have overlooked him......then here you go I've helped your scouting team!.......or is he another player that possibly does not want to represent Canada

Troll Alert!

My big concern is the forward situation, without Cavallini I'm not sure where the scoring is going to come from.

No offence but I've been following the national team since before the '86 world cup and this has been a constant concern since then, the only one who I thought really did well at the striker position was Alex Bunbury and Holger retired him about fifteen years ago. I actually like the fact that for once there is no obvious choice for striker(s) and lets hope he produces. Instead there are five plausible starters and let them fight it out in camp to see who comes out on top. It's not like they would be taking over for anyone who was really lighting up the pitch.

Generally, I think Miller is an idiot. If you're a haggis eating funny talker from the old country and Martin Rennie fires you, then you must be crap at your job.

Well, Miller talked **** about Porter around the January camp and some were saying it was to motivate Porter onto better things. Clearly it has worked as Porter has stuck in DC. One should never question the motivational powers of our Highland Mourinho. (sarcasm)

No offence but I've been following the national team since before the '86 world cup and this has been a constant concern since then, the only one who I thought really did well at the striker position was Alex Bunbury and Holger retired him about fifteen years ago. I actually like the fact that for once there is no obvious choice for striker(s) and lets hope he produces. Instead there are five plausible starters and let them fight it out in camp to see who comes out on top. It's not like they would be taking over for anyone who was really lighting up the pitch.

None taken. I still would've liked to have seen Cavalinni, it's not like he's a known commodity at this point, would be interesting how he would do against international level talent.

False. Soehn was effectively removed from his duties as soon as Rennie arrived. The manager's decision 100%.

Oh, for Christ's sake, this is like the second time I've forgotten that. I keep thinking Soehn canned Miller in the summer and made Hamlett the number one assistant.

Well, Miller talked **** about Porter around the January camp and some were saying it was to motivate Porter onto better things. Clearly it has worked as Porter has stuck in DC. One should never question the motivational powers of our Highland Mourinho. (sarcasm)

Ya, he talked **** about him and then gave him two appearances? FCE also had offered Porter a contract and gave him an ultimatum to sign, he chose not to sign and took his chance with DCU. Miller would have had him back at FCE AND used him in the 2 friendlies when he had him in camp. People are reading WAY too much into that comment.

Ya, he talked **** about him and then gave him two appearances? FCE also had offered Porter a contract and gave him an ultimatum to sign, he chose not to sign and took his chance with DCU. Miller would have had him back at FCE AND used him in the 2 friendlies when he had him in camp. People are reading WAY too much into that comment.

The 1 minute he gave Porter vs the Americans proved Miller actually thought highly of him? (Plus it looks to me like he has snubbed Porter for this Gold Cup) In the end it's neither here nor there whether Miller rates Porter or not, or even if he had any choice in trying to keep Porter at FCE, all that is important is Miller took the chance to bad-mouth Porter after he had decided to try his luck in MLS. IMO it was classless, just like his comments about Hamilton were.

The 1 minute he gave Porter vs the Americans proved Miller actually thought highly of him? (Plus it looks to me like he has snubbed Porter for this Gold Cup) In the end it's neither here nor there whether Miller rates Porter or not, or even if he had any choice in trying to keep Porter at FCE, all that is important is Miller took the chance to bad-mouth Porter after he had decided to try his luck in MLS. IMO it was classless, just like his comments about Hamilton were.

Yes it was totally classless and also an abuse of position as national team coach even if only an interim one. That is one of the reasons I am opposed to having Miller coaching the national team as interim coach.

He could have left him to rot on the bench like he did other players in that camp? If our players can't take a little criticism they aren't going to make it far... it looks like Kyle has taken it and run with it so good for him. Much better to hear than the sugar coating we get from every other manager.

Just thinking is Will Johnson the only player on the squad who is his club captain?

Really hope he is made captain of the team over JDG.

As am I. I love that he is seemingly becoming a player who drives his team forward, which is something we usually don't have enough of in our men's teams.

As am I. I love that he is seemingly becoming a player who drives his team forward, which is something we usually don't have enough of in our men's teams.

He should be a lock to be captain but Will has always been a player like that, it's just being magnified now that his role has changed in Portland.

He could have left him to rot on the bench like he did other players in that camp? If our players can't take a little criticism they aren't going to make it far... it looks like Kyle has taken it and run with it so good for him. Much better to hear than the sugar coating we get from every other manager.

I'll give you the 15-20 mins vs Denmark, but the 1 minute vs the yanks was pretty much leaving him to rot on the bench.

I doubt Porter has any issue with criticism, and neither do I. I just think Miller was out of line making comments about a player who was refusing to sign a contract with his club while in his role as national team manager. It screamed of sour-grapes/damage limitation/bull****, just as the Hamilton comments did.

Just thinking is Will Johnson the only player on the squad who is his club captain?

Really hope he is made captain of the team over JDG.

Lars, if he is the starter, is the only other with the seniority to have a claim to the arm band. Of the '07 U-20's who were with him; Nana, Edgar, Haber, Ricketts and Jackson, he seems to be the one with the most leadership potential.

That is BS. I have no problem with constructive criticism or even non-constructive justified criticism. This was Miller pokering around with players on his club whose status at his club was not certain with the intent of achieving a resolution to the situation that was beneficial to himself at the club level and to cover his ass in case things did not work out like he wanted. A disgusting abuse of power. A national team coach should not be playing club politics with players while he is supposed to be coaching and representing his country. I lost any respect I had for Miller because of that.

Archived