Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-announces-preliminary-roster-for-gold-cup-p154099

Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

Canada's Men's National Team has announced its 35-man preliminary roster for the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup to take place 7-28 July in USA.

Canada will have to trim its roster to 23 players before entering the tournament.

The team will take part in a 10-day training camp in Oxnard, CA ahead of the tournament.

Canada will kick-off the Gold Cup on 7 July against Martinique in Pasadena, CA; will then travel to Seattle, WA for an 11 July fixture against Mexico; and will then close-out the group stage with a match against Panama in Denver, CO on 14 July.

The top two teams from each group; as well as the two highest-seeded third-place finishers will advance to the knock-out stages.

Canada won the Gold Cup in 2000 and has since succeeded in making it to the tournament semi-finals on two other occasions (2002, 2007); and made it to the quarter-finals in 2009.

All of Canada's matches at the tournament will be broadcast on Sportsnet. CanadaSoccerTV will also be on-site at all venues providing additional coverage.

CANADA

GK- Haidar Al-Shaïbani | FRA / Nîmes Olympique

GK- Milan Borjan | TUR / Sivasspor

GK- Tomer Chencinski | unattached

GK- Lars Hirschfeld | NOR / Vålerenga Fotball

GK- Simon Thomas | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

D- Nana Attakora | USA / San Jose Earthquakes

D- Marcel de Jong | GER / FC Augsburg

D- David Edgar | ENG / Burnley FC

D- André Hainault | unattached

D- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC

D- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC

D- Adam Straith | GER / FC Saarbrücken

D/M- Nik Ledgerwood | SWE / Hammarby Fotboll

M- Fraser Aird | SCO / Rangers FC

M- Keven Aleman | ESP / Real Valladolid

M- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC

M- Julian de Guzman | unattached

M- Daniel Haber | unattached

M- Atiba Hutchinson | unattached

M- Will Johnson | USA / Portland Timbers

M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC

M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / unattached

M- Samuel Piette | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf

M/F- Dwayne De Rosario | USA / D.C. United

M/F- Issey Nakajima-Farran | CYP / Alki Larnaca

M/F - Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / Club Nacional

F- Stefan Cebara | SVN / Nogometni Klub Celje

F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | unattached

F- Marcus Haber | ENG / Stevenage FC

F- Simeon Jackson | unattached

F- Frank Jonke | FIN / FF Jaro

F- Kyle Porter | USA / D.C. United

F- Tosaint Ricketts | NOR / Sandnes Ulf

EDIT: MLS and DC United articles state that Dejan Jakovic was included in our 35-man roster. Expect the CSA to update their list soon (the original list - pasted above -- only had 34 players noted).

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few comments, off the top of my head:

1 - I keep re-counting but only see 34 players listed, despite the article saying 35.

2 - Vets left off the roster include Occean, Hume, Bernier, Dunfield, Klukowski and Jakovic.

3 - Surprise inclusions are Keven Aleman and Fraser Aird.

4 - Glad to see Tomer Chencinski included. It will be interesting to see if he or Hirschfeld gets selected to pair with Borjan.

Does Occean's 6 match ban apply to the Gold Cup? We've had what, 2 friendlies on FIFA dates since?

At any rate excited for Aleman, intrigued by Aird. Hopefully Simeon and Atiba have resolved their club situations by the time the roster is paired down, I wonder if they might get cold feet otherwise.

Also, shouldn't we be worried to see so many players ''unattached'' to a club? Shows the quality of our squad to be.

No because they are "unattached" as of a couple days ago. Most, if not all, have significant prospects on the horizon and will be attached as of July 1st.

Looks like they are turning the corner and going with the kids (which I applaud) Now, which 12 get the chop? With the nouveau thinking at the CSA is this the time to cap Aird and Aleman (if they're not already?) at the expense of a vet. I think it is. Aside from ranking points and experience IMO this tournament is about more than winning, it's about getting all the things you need to get done before the bullets start flying for real. And to me, right now that is capping players because the vets that would be kept have already had their kick at the cat and most were found wanting.

LOVE the roster, really happen to see Aleman and Porter in there! I guess they are looking to the future a bit here, with Bernier, Occean, Klukowski left off. Not sure why no Hume. Dunfield is injured. REALLY surprised not to see Jakovic and Hume.

But hey, if those are the guys left off, and they are looking for the future, then whatever, right? Many of those left off won't be factors by 2018, and a couple perhaps even by 2018 qualifying. This is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

is it just me or did Cavalinni go from a young prospect with potential to arguably our most in form forward option?

Can't think of anyone who has scored more goals recently. Johnson and Bernier are in great form (Teibert too) so we have some in-form midfielders but not forwards.

Shame for Jakovic as either he's injured or more likely he's being left out so Porter and De Rosario can come...

My 23:

Keepers: Borjan, Hirschfeld, Thomas

Defenders: Morgan, Ledgerwood, Hainault, Edgar, Henry, Attakora, De Jong

Midfielders: De Guzman, Hutchinson, De Rosario, Johnson, Teibert, Aird, Osorio, Piette

Forwards: Porter, Cavallini, Jackson, Edwini-Bonsu, M.Haber

I really hope Aird accepted the preliminary call and we didn't just waste a spot because we've left off some decent options in Bernier and Hume. Aird would be useful here because we lack left footers in the squad and he's received good first team minutes this year (Teibert, Cavallini, Morgan and De Jong are the only other left boots IIRC)

12 of those 23 players were either on or eligible for the last U23 Olympic team. Nice youthful squad that we can still put some confidence in.

The only two real surprises are Hume and Jakovic (OO and Bernier, one can easily make a case for leaving them off).

Hume, I can kind of understand, given that he might be in for another summer of being pissed on by PNE ... let's hope that he's not "retiring" from international duty. Although he's the type of guy who I could see saying "screw this, it's not worth my time" after the Honduras debacle ... and who could really blame him if that were the case.

Jakovic ... hmmm, that's really odd. I hope it's DC asking that he not be released ... but they let DeRo and Porter go, and don't seem like they're going to be fighting for a playoff spot anytime soon!

No Big Kev? Not really surprising, but still a little sad that it seems like his last career game for Canada was the 8-1 match.

The only two real surprises are Hume and Jakovic (OO and Bernier, one can easily make a case for leaving them off).

Hume, I can kind of understand, given that he might be in for another summer of being pissed on by PNE ... let's hope that he's not "retiring" from international duty. Although he's the type of guy who I could see saying "screw this, it's not worth my time" after the Honduras debacle ... and who could really blame him if that were the case.

Jakovic ... hmmm, that's really odd. I hope it's DC asking that he not be released ... but they let DeRo and Porter go, and don't seem like they're going to be fighting for a playoff spot anytime soon!

No Big Kev? Not really surprising, but still a little sad that it seems like his last career game for Canada was the 8-1 match.

McKenna has a serious injury.

McKenna has a serious injury.

Hadn't I heard he was also considering retirement from the CMNT too, though? I mean, if the injury is going to keep him off the Gold Cup roster, I don't know when we'll need him again short of career end.

This roster makes me...you know what.

here is My 23:

Keepers: Borjan, Hirschfeld, Chencinski

Midfielders: De Guzman, Hutchinson, Aleman, Johnson, Teibert, Aird, Osorio

Forwards: Porter, Cavallini, Jackson, Edwini-Bonsu, De Rosario

If Bernier was available I would slot him in for JDG, and I am also tempted to slot Piette in there, but I feel like the above has the right blend of experience and youth and skill. Some may disagree about my inclusion of Aleman but the kid is talented regardless of the fact he has never played a professional match. Creative players are something we need. I also wanted to include Pacheco but who do we drop from the midfield? Arid also has to be cap tied if he is good.

Also, I think Jakovic is battling injuries now, albeit nothing major.

This roster makes me...you know what.

here is My 23:

Keepers: Borjan, Hirschfeld, Chencinski

Midfielders: De Guzman, Hutchinson, Aleman, Johnson, Teibert, Aird, Osorio

Forwards: Porter, Cavallini, Jackson, Edwini-Bonsu, De Rosario

If Bernier was available I would slot him in for JDG, and I am also tempted to slot Piette in there, but I feel like the above has the right blend of experience and youth and skill. Some may disagree about my inclusion of Aleman but the kid is talented regardless of the fact he has never played a professional match. Creative players are something we need. I also wanted to include Pacheco but who do we drop from the midfield? Arid also has to be cap tied if he is good.

Also, I think Jakovic is battling injuries now, albeit nothing major.

Osorio.

That was one I was looking at, similar player so it would make sense. In the end though I chose Osorio because of his age. I am really high on the kid. Being an MLS player he is also in-season, so he gets the nod for me.

Archived