Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is commonly the case with bigger European players, who choose MLS teams based on "coolness" of a city. Often based on ignorance. Then I suppose the bigger market teams often can pay more. When objectively just go to the best team possible. Noone thinks hey, Turin isn't so nice (least attractive large Italian city, perhaps), not going to la Juve. Same with Manchester, or Newcastle, you go because of the prestige of teams and you and the family are fine. 

Often the modest market teams mean cost of living is lower. 

Why don't the Missouri teams, Fire, the Ohio teams, go for the big name players in the present? Do they think they can't fully benefit from the investment?

The thing is that at that stage of your career you are going more for the paycheque, your family, and the outside football life.  You aren’t going for the prestige of the team or to build your career. That is done. 

I am close to retirement age and I could probably get my wife to move to LA or NYC for a few years for one last paycheque but fuck me if I could get her to move to Columbus or Kansas City, lower cost of living or not.  

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is commonly the case with bigger European players, who choose MLS teams based on "coolness" of a city. Often based on ignorance. Then I suppose the bigger market teams often can pay more. When objectively just go to the best team possible. Noone thinks hey, Turin isn't so nice (least attractive large Italian city, perhaps), not going to la Juve. Same with Manchester, or Newcastle, you go because of the prestige of teams and you and the family are fine. 

Often the modest market teams mean cost of living is lower. 

Why don't the Missouri teams, Fire, the Ohio teams, go for the big name players in the present? Do they think they can't fully benefit from the investment?

I think it's easier to sell living in a minorly shit place in Europe than it would be in North America. It's just so much easier to go somewhere less shit in Europe, whether that's a daily commute, short getaways, or even day trips than if you're living in a shit, American city.

32 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think it's easier to sell living in a minorly shit place in Europe than it would be in North America. It's just so much easier to go somewhere less shit in Europe, whether that's a daily commute, short getaways, or even day trips than if you're living in a shit, American city.

Absolutely. St. Louis? Cincinnati? Columbus? Kansas City? Even places like Salt Lake City and Austin and Nashville, relatively nice places, are in the middle of nowhere compared to playing in Wolverhampton or Lille.

I would bet that in the UK some of the less classy locales have trouble attracting when the choice is multi-millions living in London or multi-millions living in Burnley, or Sheffield, or Birmingham.

12 hours ago, An Observer said:

The thing is that at that stage of your career you are going more for the paycheque, your family, and the outside football life.  You aren’t going for the prestige of the team or to build your career. That is done. 

I am close to retirement age and I could probably get my wife to move to LA or NYC for a few years for one last paycheque but fuck me if I could get her to move to Columbus or Kansas City, lower cost of living or not.  

Fair enough, city matters. 

I once did a house exchange with someone in Vancouver, apartment for apartment, when I went back there to work, went very well. Then a few years later she wrote saying hey J, we are now in Columbus, Ohio. Proceeds to list the city's amenities, cultural life, restaurants, because she wanted to do another exchange to Barcelona. She forgot to mention Crew however.

I ended up doing a full month exchange with some friends of hers who were travelling in Europe, spent a month in a full home and garden in Vancouver.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

19 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Absolutely. St. Louis? Cincinnati? Columbus? Kansas City? Even places like Salt Lake City and Austin and Nashville, relatively nice places, are in the middle of nowhere compared to playing in Wolverhampton or Lille.

I would bet that in the UK some of the less classy locales have trouble attracting when the choice is multi-millions living in London or multi-millions living in Burnley, or Sheffield, or Birmingham.

Or Dirty, Dirty Leeds 

In all seriousness, this is crazy how Canadian Portland Timbers has gotten in the past week or so. I wanted Crepeau to go to Europe but honestly as far as MLS goes I am pretty excited for what's going on down there under Neville. The Timbers got to be THE team south of the border to watch in 2024, especially if this move goes through.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...