Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

The fault on that goal is Phil Neville or whoever is responsible for a defensive system that allows a player to run straight into the area unabated on a corner kick. They look like they are playing zonal defence, rather than man marking. There is a reason why you normally do something to impede progress on a corner kick

21 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The fault on that goal is Phil Neville or whoever is responsible for a defensive system that allows a player to run straight into the area unabated on a corner kick. They look like they are playing zonal defence, rather than man marking. There is a reason why you normally do something to impede progress on a corner kick

AKA "pilon defending"

5 hours ago, nolando said:

Your sentiments reminded me that I meant to post this clip from an article on Max last week: 

Screenshot_20240403_080145_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9e6333ef8708d58ba19cf218b4a47739.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/canadiansoccerdaily.com/2024/04/02/crepeau-returns-to-vancouver/%3famp=1

Yeah, those comments were definitely making the rounds.

He got one piece of silverware in LA, and he wasn't even the keeper of record by that point since they were losing when he snapped his leg/got red carded and the back up keeper won it. So to me he's only won as a passenger. That's my story and I'm sticking too it. 😉

Edited by Watchmen

17 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Agree and I’m thankful for Gary’s time with Canada because clearly it has opened doors for some Canadians in MLS through his relationships.  But much like his brother, he has never seemed to be a strong manager which is why I do think it will be a long season for McGraw, Miller and Crepeau. 
However, what does worry me is Crepeau’s athletic ability on that play.  His extended arms are below the attackers head.  There is no denying his shot stopping ability but crosses have always been an issue and his lack of height will sometimes get exposed.  In addition, he’s also appears heavy to me. 

18 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

So what zone was Kamal responsible for, because he vacated the space he was occupying right before the corner was taken. He was ball watching and  just backed away from the onrushing goal scorer.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

There is no denying his shot stopping ability but crosses have always been an issue and his lack of height will sometimes get exposed.

I thought he commanded his penalty area very well with crosses during his time with the Caps, and I watched him almost every match.

Unfortunately, that area of his game seemed to take a step back with LAFC, being overly aggressive and off balance in coming well out or cutting out low stuff at the near post.

As @Gian-Luca noted, you can't let an attacker just have a free run in like that.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I thought he commanded his penalty area very well with crosses during his time with the Caps, and I watched him almost every match.

Unfortunately, that area of his game seemed to take a step back with LAFC, being overly aggressive and off balance in coming well out or cutting out low stuff at the near post.

As @Gian-Luca noted, you can't let an attacker just have a free run in like that.

Have to agree - Max was very good with crosses when he was with the Caps - great positional awareness and excellent hands combined with surprising athleticism meant that he was rarely caught out.  But I also agree that all of that seems to be regressing a bit - not sure if his injury had anything to do with it or just a different play style, but he seems to be coming out second best on a lot of these plays.

Having said that, I don't think that goal is his fault.  It's possible a taller keeper is able to take that ball a foot or two earlier than Max did, but it would probably have resulted in serious injury to both the keeper and Rosero.  In a way, it was lucky Max ended up slightly behind Rosero - and even then he just about took Rosero's head off.  All the more reason why the defense has to impede the offensive player's run - it prevents these violent collisions in the box.

19 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, those comments were definitely making the rounds.

He got one piece of silverware in LA, and he wasn't even the keeper of record by that point since they were losing when he snapped his leg/got red carded and the back up keeper won it. So to me he's only won as a passenger. That's my story and I'm sticking too it. 😉

Stephen Curry Bae GIF by MOODMAN

5 hours ago, Kadenge said:

So what zone was Kamal responsible for, because he vacated the space he was occupying right before the corner was taken. He was ball watching and  just backed away from the onrushing goal scorer.

I have no idea what Miller or any of the Portland players other than Crepeau are doing on that goal. That's why I think the blame lies with one of the Neville brothers (and by that, I'm not referring to the R&B group that was formed out of New Orleans! ;) ).

Edited by Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I have no idea what Miller or any of the Portland players other than Crepeau are doing on that goal.

As a huge long time fan of Miller, his weaknesses have always been lack of quickness and aerial presence along with bad positioning/falling asleep on set pieces.  Seen too much of it with CFM and CANMNT and it goes all the way back to Orlando.  Really hoped it would have developed, but doesn't seem like it.  In his defense he's never had a strong CB partner to help and guide him through that.  Camacho certainly wasn't that guy.

12 hours ago, costarg said:

As a huge long time fan of Miller, his weaknesses have always been lack of quickness and aerial presence along with bad positioning/falling asleep on set pieces.  Seen too much of it with CFM and CANMNT and it goes all the way back to Orlando.  Really hoped it would have developed, but doesn't seem like it.  In his defense he's never had a strong CB partner to help and guide him through that.  Camacho certainly wasn't that guy.

Everyone needs slow, small CBs that can’t defend set pieces 😂 

22 hours ago, GasPed said:

not sure if his injury had anything to do with it or just a different play style,

"He's fat and short" my nephew's words when we watched the T&T game (his first time seeing our "new" keeper). Mind you, it was "old and bald" when he first saw Borjan a few years back. He's pretty perceptive that boy.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Looking at that call, I think it was correct. At least it's not clearly wrong.

It's odd however, at the top of the box in a scramble, that he's not defending low with his hands. He made a play like a novice CB.

6 minutes ago, nolando said:

I watched on the MLS highlights, Nolan.

I think you have to look at the full repeats on the full screen.

Crepeau is in the box but contact is made on a leg that is clearly planted outside the box, not on the line. So foul outside the box.

Then you could argue whether he's clearly last defender. There is a defender in parallel to him, on the other side of the box, but a long way away from the play. I think if you apply the last defender rule properly, where any other defender has to be reasonably close to be able defend the play if Crepeau was beaten, it's a red.

The "good" thing is that Pantemis will get some more minutes, he seems to be as solid as Crepeau should be this year.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Is there reason to be concerned about Crepeau's form?

Just at the moment we are transitioning away from Borjan, with Crepeau our reliable sub, he does indeed seem to be slipping. Which opens up the debate for Canada's starter in the precise moment when Maxime should be claiming the job.

54 minutes ago, nolando said:

No commentary on my part, UT. Just thought some might not have seen the incident.

Sorry, I somehow thought folks were doubting or he had been given a bad shake. Probably most don't really care if it was the right call I suppose, it's Timbers after all ;)

This is clear

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39936057