Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

In my opinion, the fact that Camara will be 33 next WCQ isn't an argument against bringing him on board

He'll be an aging option at that point, sure, but how is that an argument against bringing him on board? It would be nice to assume Aird or Chung will be a far better option than a 33 year old Camara, but if they aren't, we are going to be pretty glad Camara stuck around for a bit. If they are better, no real harm or foul, they will overtake his spot in due course. 

Looking to 2022 isn't useful, in my opinion. Even if qualifying was realistic, lots of teams have turnover between the qualifying roster and the roster sent to the WC. If Camara helps us get to that unlikely bridge crossing, no one will be complaining that he is too old to help in 2022. 

To me, the only real argument for bringing Camara on board is that it limits the time Aird gets to form cohesion with the rest of the lineup in the next few years. While that is not an empty argument, I don't think it's enough to justify leaving Camara out. Heck, it would be nice seeing guys fighting for the RB spot for the first time in memory 

EDIT: Not only that, but anyone able to play CB at a decent level should be looked at. 

Edited by Complete Homer

On 10/21/2016 at 0:21 PM, farrelld said:

Ignoring the fact Camara isn't eligible yet and imagining he can play for Canada.

Camara isn't a real RB his primary position is CB like Henry but because he plays there with Montreal quite often he has become more used to playing RB. Aird started as an attacking winger and moved to RB with his club only recently so he is still learning the defensive side that Camara already knew.

If you want the best chance to win the gold cup I think you go with Camara starting over Aird.

If you want to use the gold cup to help develop players for WCQ I would start Aird over Camara.

Nope this post is absolutely false. Camara has mostly played RB for the Impact. He is also the 2nd best CB on the team after Ciman so sometimes he plays CB as well depending how our other fullbacks are playing. Earlier in his career he was a midfielder (and he still has the skillset for that) and I don't remember if he switched before he came to the Impact or after but he has mostly played RB for us and is very good in that position. He is the Impact's best fullback and 2nd best CB and that would be a very good addition to the national team given our weaknesses at both positions. 

On 10/21/2016 at 0:21 PM, farrelld said:

Ignoring the fact Camara isn't eligible yet and imagining he can play for Canada.

Camara isn't a real RB his primary position is CB like Henry but because he plays there with Montreal quite often he has become more used to playing RB. Aird started as an attacking winger and moved to RB with his club only recently so he is still learning the defensive side that Camara already knew.

If you want the best chance to win the gold cup I think you go with Camara starting over Aird.

If you want to use the gold cup to help develop players for WCQ I would start Aird over Camara.

Nope this post is absolutely false. Camara has mostly played RB for the Impact. He is also the 2nd best CB on the team after Ciman so sometimes he plays CB as well depending how our other fullbacks are playing. Earlier in his career he was a midfielder (and he still has the skillset for that) and I don't remember if he switched before he came to the Impact or after but he has mostly played RB for us and is very good in that position. He is the Impact's best fullback and 2nd best CB and that would be a very good addition to the national team given our weaknesses at both positions. 

14 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I remember when it was rumoured that Camara was on trial in Montreal in 2011 and he was a midfielder. He started as a midfielder for the Impact for the first year and sometimes played CB because injuries at the back and that's where Marsch was more impressed in him. 

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, tovan1 said:

Would Stefan Frei be eligible to play for Canada?  I've heard his wife is Canadian.

If so, where would he fall on the depth chart?

No, you must be a permanent resident of Canada for four years and then plan to live there in the future to qualify for citizenship through a spouse. FIFA also doesn't recognize marriage as a direct way of becoming eligible for another country, you can only do it by becoming a citizen of that country through your spouse.

Although he lived here a good while I don't think he ever applied even if he was eligible at one point, and he lives permanently in the U.S. now if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Zem

• 3 months later...

Lets just try and get Davies his passport and keep Tabla from going elsewhere eh??  It will be more benifical to put our efforts into youngsters that have options than chasing foreign guys in their 30's.  Camara, Piatti..whoever wants to become a citizen, good on ya!!  Come on in!!  But I hope the guys behind the scenes work on the 16-22 age guys.  

I know its going to be depressing but go back and read the thread....basically live in canada for 5 years after getting permanent resident, and then maybe!!!  If you never played for hometown nation etc etc etc, long list caveats.  Its easier to get a concealed handgun permit in canada than that.

Koffie is a no go, discussed at length on another thread for years.  

Edited by Bison44

On 12/11/2016 at 1:10 AM, Zem said:

No, you must be a permanent resident of Canada for four years and then plan to live there in the future to qualify for citizenship through a spouse. FIFA also doesn't recognize marriage as a direct way of becoming eligible for another country, you can only do it by becoming a citizen of that country through your spouse.

Although he lived here a good while I don't think he ever applied even if he was eligible at one point, and he lives permanently in the U.S. now if I'm not mistaken.

So I guess that rules out Dom Dwyer

2 hours ago, sose said:

So I guess that rules out Dom Dwyer

For Canada. He's eligible for the US due to residency. 

Also, we shouldn't expect to get players good enough to make the national team though nationalisation. 5 years is a long time to stay here as a footballer, and it's a third of a footballer's career. You will most of the time get players on the decline by the time that they are eligible. I'm not against it, but we shouldn't expect anything about it. What are the odds that a footballer stays for 5 years in Canada? I'd say it's around 3-4 %. Just look at the players  who were there in 2012. How many are still there? I think Bush and Camara are the only two players still playing here. Bush wouldn't be eligible for citizenship since he lives in Ohio during the winter. And I wouldn't consider him for the next cycle. 

On December 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Zem said:

But if you have a grand parent or parent from said country, it's ok. Such superfluous, artificial bull shit eligibility rules FIFA has.

Edited by Macksam