Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

Fair point, although if the answer to Begovic bailing for Bosnia is Canada nationalizing Evan Bush, then I think I'll pass. A mediocre MLS keeper is not the answer to our problems in goal. I don't think Bush provides much of a step up over Thomas or Crepeau or Roberts.

Have you been watching Mtl? Evan Bush has been solid GK. I'd say him not playing is one of reasons why Mtl lost CCL final (and one of reasons why Mtl went so far). Bush has been really good last 2 seasons. He's far better than Thomas, Crepeau or Roberts now.

Fair point, although if the answer to Begovic bailing for Bosnia is Canada nationalizing Evan Bush, then I think I'll pass. A decent, but not top end MLS keeper is not the answer to our lack of depth in goal. I don't think Bush provides much of a step up over Thomas or Crepeau or Roberts.

We need to aim higher if we're going to nationalize. Or, we hail Tyson Farago as our saviour in net.

We are not in the position to be turning anyone down if he was indeed interested. I saw an article the other day that mentioned that once his playing career was over he would be heading back to the United States, so he probably is not interested.

It also makes me less interested as it feels a little "dirty" borrowing a player if he doesn't plan on living here afterwards, but I would still take him 100% if he wanted to play for Canada.

Its not like we are choosing him over Thomas, Crepeau, Roberts or even Farago. Its having them plus Bush. Depth is having many different capable options. He would be a capable option. I'm a fan of Crepeau and Roberts, but lets say we make it to the hex and Stama and Hirsch retire. Borjan gets injured. Shit gets real, real fast

We are not in the position to be turning anyone down if he was indeed interested. I saw an article the other day that mentioned that once his playing career was over he would be heading back to the United States, so he probably is not interested.

It also makes me less interested as it feels a little "dirty" borrowing a player if he doesn't plan on living here afterwards, but I would still take him 100% if he wanted to play for Canada.

Its not like we are choosing him over Thomas, Crepeau, Roberts or even Farago. Its having them plus Bush. Depth is having many different capable options. He would be a capable option. I'm a fan of Crepeau and Roberts, but lets say we make it to the hex and Stama and Hirsch retire. Borjan gets injured. Shit gets real, real fast

what about leutweiler?

what about leutweiler?

I feel the same with Leutwiler as I do about Bush. I'd welcome them both, and really anyone who wants to play for Canada.

Some people will prefer Leutwiler because of his connection (I think his mom is Canadian) as opposed to Bush just coming here and playing. I don't think Leutwiler's connection to the country is stronger than Bush's (at least he has lived here)

But again, I'd welcome both

I can see where people are coming from. It's all kind of a moot argument anyways, since Bush has given no indication that he wants to play for Canada. If Bush wants to play for Canada, have at er. If Leutwiler wants to play for Canada, that's great. If they do get the call then I will have no issue cheering them on. Again, I don't think Bush is an elite MLS goalkeeper in the conversation with Ousted, Hamid, or even Jesse Gonzalez.

But to me, bringing in guys that have no connection to Canada other than having a Canadian passport is a band-aid fix to a long term problem. Has Canadian soccer not struggled largely in part because we cannot develop our own talent? How do we know that someone like Roberts or Crepeau can't become just as capable as Evan Bush? They've never been given a chance. Is it not inconceivable that one of Roberts, Crepeau, Carducci, Farago, Melvin, Irving, Wirth, diBennardo or deBellis could be just as good or better at the MLS level?

So rather than pine for an MLS keeper who is simply playing in Canada, we should be developing the next Canadian MLS keeper, or 2, or 3, or 10.

Isn't that part of the reason we cheer for our CDN MLS NASL teams?  They should be invested in producing local talent.  The american Mls teams throw young goalies in quite regularly.  If TFC can get the youngsters in for photo ops and brag about the academy, then they should be able to give Roberts a shot.  Put your money where your PR is.  Van and Impact maybe less so as their goalie situation isn't a revolving door of jounrneymen like TFC.  If just 1-2 of the aformentioned young goalies could get a roster spot in MLS it would be s big step.  Maybe the NCAA guys (Irving in particular) have a shot at getting drafted to a US team with balls that might actually play a young goalie.

Plus I think Bush is no where near getting all the requirements for nationalization.  Aren't there all sorts of stipulations on where he spent the offseason etc etc. 5 year without going back to USA more than 30 days per year etc etc.  I dont think its as easy as just figuring out when he came to canada to play and adding 5 years to that.  Then its permanent resident, then citizen blah blah blah!  I think its a pipe dream.  Camara maybe as I think he actually lives in MTL year round.  

Isn't that part of the reason we cheer for our CDN MLS NASL teams?  They should be invested in producing local talent.  The american Mls teams throw young goalies in quite regularly.  If TFC can get the youngsters in for photo ops and brag about the academy, then they should be able to give Roberts a shot.  Put your money where your PR is.  Van and Impact maybe less so as their goalie situation isn't a revolving door of jounrneymen like TFC.  If just 1-2 of the aformentioned young goalies could get a roster spot in MLS it would be s big step.  Maybe the NCAA guys (Irving in particular) have a shot at getting drafted to a US team with balls that might actually play a young goalie.

Plus I think Bush is no where near getting all the requirements for nationalization.  Aren't there all sorts of stipulations on where he spent the offseason etc etc. 5 year without going back to USA more than 30 days per year etc etc.  I dont think its as easy as just figuring out when he came to canada to play and adding 5 years to that.  Then its permanent resident, then citizen blah blah blah!  I think its a pipe dream.  Camara maybe as I think he actually lives in MTL year round.  

Agree re: roberts. I watched a fair amount of TFC 2 games and IMO he was head and shoulders better than Bono but from Larson apparently Roberts is an after thought and Bono is the guy they like.

I still see a gap in development between USL and MLS

Not that I think he would join the CMNT but isn't Jackson getting close to being eligible?  I don't think he was ever called for Brazil as a youth player. 

If he fulfills the residency requirements he would be CMNT eligible in 2019 as he just joined TFC in 2014

Agree re: roberts. I watched a fair amount of TFC 2 games and IMO he was head and shoulders better than Bono but from Larson apparently Roberts is an after thought and Bono is the guy they like.

Take what Larson says with a healthy helping of salt.

Gershon Koffie seems to be CSAs next serious target.  I'm not convinced he is an upgrade on what we already have, but yea, depth.  

What a waste. The CSA should get their heads out of their asses on this Koffie thing and focus on players who will actually be eligible to play for us.

I have to assume that's bullshit, Roberts won the job pretty quickly with TFC2.

I know I'll get flamed on this board but as the program wins and finds stability we attract more players.

I went through this thread to see which players were still out there. Most won't sign on but not a bad list of talent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassoun_Camara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofi_Opare

Well, if you're going to insist on bringing this up again, I'm going to insist on repeating that I can't fathom why these names are always brought up, especially these two.

We have a guy like Karl Ouimette who is an afterthought on this board.  Ouimette played more minutes than Camara last season on a better team and he's two years younger than Opare (nevermind the fact that Camara will be 30 the next time Canada calls a squad).  And he's just one example.

Everyone will say that more depth couldn't hurt, but before you say that, maybe take a look at what we already have.  Using the example above, Ouimette is 5th or 6th on the depth chart in the middle (after Edgar, Jakovic, Henry, Hainault, Straith and maybe even James) and somewhere in the 4 RB players we have (Henry, Ledgerwood, and Aird).

It would just be nice to have a guy who actually plays RB in the case of Camara instead of always using CBs on the right.  He'll be 30 for the next squad but who cares as long as he's performing.

And is he really performing?  Maybe you and I are watching two different players.

And personally, I don't care what someone's positional classification is, whether it's RB or CB or whatever, I kinda want the guy that is best in that position.  I don't think he offers more defensively than what we already have, and for me defensive ability is the most important aspect of playing on the back line. 

I won't get pulled in to a debate of which player is better than which or compare players that haven't committed to those who have.

But isn't that exactly what you're doing by bumping a thread with a bunch of non-Canadian players in it and asking when they are going to be brought into the fold?

Well, if you're going to insist on bringing this up again, I'm going to insist on repeating that I can't fathom why these names are always brought up, especially these two.

We have a guy like Karl Ouimette who is an afterthought on this board.  Ouimette played more minutes than Camara last season on a better team and he's two years younger than Opare (nevermind the fact that Camara will be 30 the next time Canada calls a squad).  And he's just one example.

Everyone will say that more depth couldn't hurt, but before you say that, maybe take a look at what we already have.  Using the example above, Ouimette is 5th or 6th on the depth chart in the middle (after Edgar, Jakovic, Henry, Hainault, Straith and maybe even James) and somewhere in the 4 RB players we have (Henry, Ledgerwood, and Aird).

Camara was injured for most of the year while Ouimette's playing time this year came mostly because others were injured. I have seen both of them play for the Impact for a number of years and Camara is simply a better player at this point, faster, better ball control, better at taking the ball away from opposing players and much better at maintaining possession and distributing the ball. I like Ouimette and he did have a good game Friday so full credit for that but he seems to have really stagnated the last couple of years. He may still reach his potential and at least his current club coach Marsh seems to believe in him but Camara when fully fit is currently both a better RB and CB. Every coach with the option of choosing between them would choose Camara right now. If he wants to play for us and is eligible I don't know why anyone would not be in favour of this. He would be at least as good if not better defensively than Ouimette or Ledgerwood at RB and would move the ball a lot better into the attack making us more dangerous on the right than we usually are. Henry like Ouimette is not a RB and while Aird may be the solution in the future right now we have a hole at that position and Camara would fill it nicely.

Edited by Grizzly