Canadian Nationalization Countdown

deschamp86

16 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Tim Parker will be a starting CB for the USMNT one day, he is going to be that good; he wont' be pursuing Canada anytime.

All ready getting USMNT call ups... wouldn't even mention his name here... unless in a spiteful context. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I think it depends on how much we value the next Gold Cup vs the next WCQ cycle

Camara is decent and is likely nearing eligibility (and has stated interest before). Does the upgrade he represents over Aird warrant his inclusion in the leadup to the Gold Cup, or is the lost opportunity for international experience for Aird too high a cost? Camara is 31 in February, he isn't going to be a long-term asset, and Aird might have to be our answer to the RB question for next cycle.

19 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I think it depends on how much we value the next Gold Cup vs the next WCQ cycle

Camara is decent and is likely nearing eligibility (and has stated interest before). Does the upgrade he represents over Aird warrant his inclusion in the leadup to the Gold Cup, or is the lost opportunity for international experience for Aird too high a cost? Camara is 31 in February, he isn't going to be a long-term asset, and Aird might have to be our answer to the RB question for next cycle.

He'll be very important to our program.

Camara would give us a legitimate starting right back, something we haven't had for almost a decade. Aird and Chung "might" be the answer in the longterm but they're not there yet. They might never get there.

Edited by PopePouri

57 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I'm 100% against having Camara play for our national team. Great player but at 31 he's a stop gap solution. RB is Aird's job to win going forward and I think he'll do it. 

It might be stop gap...but atleast it's a solution. I'm a big fan of Aird and I hope he continues to develop but he gets torn up in MLS. Unless we're going to use wingbacks and have 5 guys on the backline I'm not comfortable with Aird being back there, teams will target him. He needs time to learn the position and the defensive side of the game, sounds like a stop gap solution is actually exactly what we need.

48 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Anybody know what's up with Evan Bush? Seems like hes been here a while and is exactly what we need... a back up for Milan Borjan. We really lack keeper depth and Bush has developed really well, could actually push for starts if Milan ever stops being amazing. 

Any quality addition to the CMNT is good for the program, however I rather give that backup spot to Leutwiler, or Thomas. I feel the younger, and playing option is always better in the long term. Who I don't want to see anymore unless he is GK coach is Kenny. Love the commitment but it just doesnt make any sense to see him anymore.

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

It might be stop gap...but atleast it's a solution. I'm a big fan of Aird and I hope he continues to develop but he gets torn up in MLS. Unless we're going to use wingbacks and have 5 guys on the backline I'm not comfortable with Aird being back there, teams will target him. He needs time to learn the position and the defensive side of the game, sounds like a stop gap solution is actually exactly what we need.

Why do we need a stop gap solution?  Is there a plan for Montagliani to parachute us into the Hex now that he's President?  We don't have a meaningful game for another 3 years.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Why do we need a stop gap solution?  Is there a plan for Montagliani to parachute us into the Hex now that he's President?  We don't have a meaningful game for another 3 years.

Gold Cup has been made that much more important to the CMNT program.

5 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Any quality addition to the CMNT is good for the program, however I rather give that backup spot to Leutwiler, or Thomas. I feel the younger, and playing option is always better in the long term. Who I don't want to see anymore unless he is GK coach is Kenny. Love the commitment but it just doesnt make any sense to see him anymore.

Bush has been around MLS long enough that i'd feel safe with him starting in goal if need be. He's only 1 year older than Borjan as well.

Just for comparison, Leutwiler is only 3 years younger than Bush and has not played higher than League One in England, aside from a mere 3 Championship games. No CONCACAF experience either (obviously).

Thomas is only just finding his feet now at a decent professional level - about the same time that Bush's career started to take off. So there's that, plus the fact he's the only 1 of the 3 actually in our program.

6 hours ago, BradMack said:

Agreed. I have pumped Aird up here before, but it's true he hasn't really convinced me fully. That being said, he's the player I want the most minutes going to at right back.

If Camara was to join, at least it gives us another look. We should be two deep in every position anyway. I don't think it would hurt Arid's development - he might even learn a thing or two on the defensive end.

Do we really have the luxury to be leaving out impact players (no pun intended)from our squad selections? Players earn their place in the team based on club form, and Aird hasnt shown he deserves to be in the team based on club form. The national side shouldnt be for development, it should be for the present time, playing the player in the best form.

Edited by Fastfeet2

5 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Well I guess the Gold Cup is meaningless to you... The original Aird vs Camara question was about a Gold Cup spot. I'd rather try to do well in our federations cup competition than use it as a developmental tournament. Players are called up to the National team to represent our country, not to learn on the job. We should be calling up the players who give us the best chance to win.

5 minutes ago, Fastfeet2 said:

Do we really have the luxury to be leaving out impact players (no pun intended)from our squad selections? Players earn their place in the team based on club form, and Aird hasnt shown he deserves to be in the team based on club form. The national side shouldnt be for development, it should be for the present time, playing the player in the best form.

Beat me to it, I agree 100%. Although I do think Aird should play over Henry, he is pour defensively when he plays right back  and does nothing going forward. Nothing against Henry, he shouldn't be put in that position in the first place.

It was a real tragedy for our WCQ bid that the citizenship of Camara did not get settled before this round. I spoke with him well before this round of qualifying started and he was waiting for citizenship and in contact with the CSA and wanted to play for us. Since he came back from injury this year he has been one of the Impact's best players. He is good at either CB or either side as a full back. He really stabilized the CB position beside Ciman earlier this year and was a significant upgrade over both Cebrara and Lefevre until injuries and international commitments of other players put him back to fullback. He might have been our best CB for Canada had he played there although obviously he was more needed at RB. Having an RB who was both defensively strong and who could bring the ball forward, in other words a strength at RB instead of the weak link that Henry was, could have been the difference between making the Hex and being eliminated as we were. One would have hoped the CSA could have accelerated the citizenship process but obviously those things can be complicated. 

One would hope by the time of the next WCQ we would have one or more RBs playing at a decent level. However there is no guarantee of that and Camara may still be playing and playing well at 35 given that Bernier is still playing well at 37. The Gold Cup is an important tournament and this team need to have some success both for its public image and the mentality of the players so if Camara gets his citizenship anytime soon I would include him in the team.

Edited by Grizzly

14 hours ago, BradMack said:

Anybody know what's up with Evan Bush? Seems like hes been here a while and is exactly what we need... a back up for Milan Borjan. We really lack keeper depth and Bush has developed really well, could actually push for starts if Milan ever stops being amazing. 

What about David Ousted, he'd be another high end MLS level keeper. He's almost at the point of nationalizing. 31 but had One game with Denmark U19 back in 2003, not too sure if that'd be a road block. 

22 hours ago, BradMack said:

15 hours ago, Fastfeet2 said:

15 hours ago, BradMack said:

Well I guess the Gold Cup is meaningless to you... The original Aird vs Camara question was about a Gold Cup spot. I'd rather try to do well in our federations cup competition than use it as a developmental tournament. Players are called up to the National team to represent our country, not to learn on the job. We should be calling up the players who give us the best chance to win.

So many here would disagree with the sentiment of putting an older, new to the team (if it happens) player like Camara in at RB over a young guy playing regular divison 1 minutes. Every time a roster is released we see people here complaining about USL, EPL academy, reserve team, bench players not being called.