The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

The important thing to remember here is that Weber is reporting that it is Canada that is interested and is doing the work.  So if someone is smart, they'll simply get Weber to report on this 8 months down the road again, and find out whether Canada did its due diligence.  Or perhaps Koffie actually gets called up between then and now.   Then a few different scenarios emerge

1) Weber reports that Canada has done some homework on it and is in the positive process of getting through the FIFA paperwork and citizenship stuff that is required.  

2) Weber reports that Canada has done some homework on it, and FIFA will not make an exception in this case.

3) Weber doesn't follow up with the requests and we must reasonably be led to believe he was talking out his bum butt.

In all of those scenarios, can we consider 8 months a reasonable timeframe to think this needs to be followed up on, if nothing is heard by then, and reasonably expect Weber as a professional to follow up on a story that he posted in good faith?  Would that be fair? 

And case closed no matter the outcome, including if Weber doesn't follow up, because he is the only source saying he thinks they can get past the FIFA requirements at this time?  I personally think it's a little presumptuous to say "Surely Floro has enough pull" and statements like that.  Nothing against Weber, but I certainly would NOT assume "pull" gets you past firm rules set in place that, if anything, will likely be more scrutinized than ever with FIFA under the microscope right now.

We may get some domino effect but I don't think that is the case for either Camara or Koffie. Camara has said for a couple of years now that he wanted to become a Canadian citizen and was also interested in playing for the national team and I think Koffie also said a few years ago he was interested if he was eligible. The CSA may be making a more concerted effort to solve the eligibility problems of some of the interested players though. And of course as the team improves and gets better players it becomes more attractive to any fence sitters. Also from the article (Google translate it if you can't read French) on Camara one can see that he is both getting citizenship and interested in playing for the national team for all the right reasons, ie. he really loves it here and plans to stay after he is finished playing he is not doing it to just play international football. As much as one has to respect Ledgerwood's dedication to the team and giving his all on the pitch, Camara will be a big upgrade over Ledgerwood and the first good real right back we have had since Stalteri retired.

Also from the article (Google translate it if you can't read French) on Camara one can see that he is both getting citizenship and interested in playing for the national team for all the right reasons, ie. he really loves it here and plans to stay after he is finished playing he is not doing it to just play international football.

Just curious but would you expect anyone to say anything different?

"I'm getting my citizenship and I want to play internationally for Canada despite hating every second I have to live here.  To be honest, I'm really doing this for the chicks."

How? Thiago's was a senior team game, and Gerhsons was a youth game. 

I get the whole he was always eligible (Motta), or he was never eligible to play (Koffie), the exception is not with that. 

To me the exception is that is granted or ignored is that he already played in a competitive tournament for the senior side regardless of previous eligibility. 

You are wrong, the exception is with Koffie having been inelgible for Canada at the time of playing for Ghana. FIFA would have to back track on an established rule to allow him to play for us. It would be a major precedent if they did that and would open up pandora's box. Motta was eligible for Italy through his lineage, therefore he was within the rules to switch because he had not played a senior match for Brasil in an official competition (Gold Cup is not official for an invited U23 squad).

To be fair, there was a time when we thought Begovic was capped, they changed the rules, and I don't recall the Pandora's Box really opening other than opportunists like Asmir changing sides. You could easily see FIFA saying that U20 qualifying tournaments do not count for the purposes of this rule. Of course that would be a change of the rule and not an exemption.

"I'm getting my citizenship and I want to play internationally for Canada despite hating every second I have to live here.  To be honest, I'm really doing this for the chicks."

Ah ever the cynic El Hombre. You may be right in many cases of what players say but Camara has been pretty consistent for several years about his comments about why he wanted to be a Canadian citizen so I think in his case it is genuine.

As Grizzly said, read the article. If you don't know French, translate it somehow. You'll see what he is saying is in fact much more convincing than anyone has expressed yet on this board. And more than anything we've heard from Koffie as well. It is nowhere the cynical studied response you are making it out to be. So read it.

What also really impresses is the role of Carbajal, he is the one who called Cavallini in mid-September, he is doing a lot of leg work, and he is obviously a good communicator. Listening to that older interview with him about the League One in Ontario I also thought he was smart, had ideas, and sounded like a leader. 

Frankly, when Benito cannot run a team, like at PanAm, Rafael should be coach and not Antonio, it should be hands down. Unless Benito feels he needs Carbajal with him.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Jesus Christ.  I stopped hanging out after 8-1, and when I came back we had Larin and Akindele as front line talent.

Out of the blue, I decide to pop back in to see what up, and Hoillet is now signed up!?!  WTF?  I gotta stop hanging out here more often.  

Initial reaction probably would have been to rip on the guy, but I just read through 10 pages of intermittent ripping on the guy so I think it is out of my system.  As someone said, goals will heal all wounds.

seriously though - Hoillet?  WTF?

To be fair, there was a time when we thought Begovic was capped, they changed the rules, and I don't recall the Pandora's Box really opening other than opportunists like Asmir changing sides. You could easily see FIFA saying that U20 qualifying tournaments do not count for the purposes of this rule. Of course that would be a change of the rule and not an exemption.

That actually did open Pandora's box.

Jr's importance will soon be on the table for scrutiny. Let this thread morph into yet another form!

By the way, what do the dots above our avatars mean?

It looks like it's related to the number of posts. My profile for example has "Starting 11" and then 6 dots in the same field.  

Ah ever the cynic El Hombre. You may be right in many cases of what players say but Camara has been pretty consistent for several years about his comments about why he wanted to be a Canadian citizen so I think in his case it is genuine.

Camara should be signed up immediately.   Can you imagine how dangerous we would be off set pieces with Larin,  Edgar, Henry, Camara, Hutchinson, Akindele in the box?  That is a big team.

If a bench player for QPR can play for Brazil a bench player for QPR can play for Canada... 

Let's not act like Hoilett isn't playing because he simply isn't good.  QPR is in the Championship and is trying to freeze him out just as they did with Julio Cesar.  I don't think a loan back to MLS for the second half of the year is out of question in this case either.

Could it be that Hoilett was holding out all this time because he knew he was in for a pay day with QPR and they didn't want him playing internationally?  Really that does seem logical.  And now that QPR is freezing him out he doesn't care anymore and he's coming to play with us.  

Yes there is a benefit to having a high-priced player not involved, he wants to move.  If he's involved and he's being told he can leave for less wages he has ZERO incentive.. why would he take a pay cut, why would anyone?  Look, QPR had him available on a free and no one took him.. why is that?  Because he would need to take a pay cut and if he isn't playing AT ALL chances are he would be more willing to move.  A player who just couldn't make QPR's bench would not be linked to Schalke.. if his wages were reasonable he would have been gone in a heartbeat in August but he's not going to take a pay cut and QPR isn't going to pay half of his deal, they want the whole deal gone.  

As was the case with Julio Cesar who was available on a free in January and no one touched him until MLS/MLSE decided he would be a nice commercial for the league in the build up to the World Cup.  You can't honestly believe that Robert Green is a better keeper than Julio Cesar... one is playing for QPR in the Championship the other plays for Benfica in the Champions League, started for Brazil in 2014 and just won GK of the year in Portugal... just because the wheeler and dealer 'Arry said that he preferred Green doesn't make it true.  It's a business.  Neither Hoilett or Julio Cesar would make a difference in QPR getting promoted and they make a ton of money so they need(ed) to go.  

Agree that Hoilett is being frozen out of the QPR side for business reasons - i.e. to give him an incentive to leave - not purely footballing ones... that being said, if he was clearly a cut above their other options, they would have no choice but to play him.

Just so everyone knows, Marc Weber is a bit of a twat. Or at best, not a great journalist. He uses the Thiago Motta example in the article as a precedent for Koffie but, as discussed here, Motta was already eligible for Italy through his paternal grandfather.

I agree... IMO Mark Webber is a VWC PR guy, not a journalist. I don't think there's much chance Koffie suits up for us/gets FIFA clearance to do so.

LOL!

I posted this in the game thread but what are the chances Floro plays Junior on the right?

I don't see why he would and I hope he wouldn't.  We don't have many legitimate options on the left (Issey/Tissot?) and he's usually been played there in his career so it seems like a perfect match.  Surely he'll swap wings once in a while but primarily he should be a LW for us IMO.  The right side has Ricketts/Akindele who should benefit playing opposite Hoilett.  

My 4 wingers for the November matches would be Hoilett/Petrasso (left side) and Ricketts/Akindele (right side). The two strikers have got to be Cavallini and Larin but somehow I think we'll see Haber called up too at the expense of Petrasso and Teibert used as a utility man for midfield/wingers.  

Edited by Keegan