The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Wonder if Cardiff matched his demands out of desperation or if Hoilett was struggling to attract interest. Cardiff is in a relegation battle

Desperation is my guess. I think the the owner Vincent Tan, who spent plenty of money trying to get to the Premier League (and who quickly got relegated back to the Championship after he got there) will spend plenty more money to avoid falling into League 1.

So for Hoilett, as a @Complete Homer would say:

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Desperation is my guess. I think the the owner Vincent Tan, who spent plenty of money trying to get to the Premier League (and who quickly got relegated back to the Championship after he got there) will spend plenty more money to avoid falling into League 1.

So for Hoilett, as a @Complete Homer would say:

It's funny, I made the name with the intent of "Homer" referring to "fan who blindly has faith that his team will do well," but I am happy to serve as a catalyst for Simpsons references :D

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Warnock did not splash the cash when he was at QPR. He made sensible signings of relatively low profile players who added a lot to the squad. I doubt that Warnock would have offered Hoilett anywhere near the £50 kpw that QPR were reportedly paying him so my guess is that the truth is somewhere in between.

At this point, I'm just glad Hoilett will be playing again. Hopefully he approaches his next move in a different way.

Has anyone heard how many years the deal is for? Hopefully he gets some regular playing time, they end up mid-table (they were predicted to finish 8th by Sky Sports, and he doesn't find himself without a club 4 years down the road when we need him in top match fitness.

5 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Gotta say though Carl, he has REALLY shown up for Canada. Since he joined us, a great deal of our good attacking play has been coming through him. Nice to see that discrepancy between club and country working in our favour for once! (even if the club is our beloved Rangers!).

Agree Doug, no complaints of him in a Canada jersey and as you know or if you read back several pages in this thread, I was very skeptical due to his QPR form! We do have another QPR fan on this board btw, he's Brian, Areathrasher!

Edited by gator

I know when Hoilett first signed I was not happy about the delay in him committing to Canada, the reasons why he chose so, and would only sway my opinion if he consistently committed to the maple leaf. After a year, I think I've come around to him, to the point where I am excited that he has signed with Cardiff City.

On 2016-10-07 at 1:55 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

since I saw him play in Ligue 1 (and not later in the Premier League), I always rated him highly!

Explains why you rate him so highly

Cardiff officially announcing his arrival. http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/junior-hoilett-signs-for-the-bluebirds-3356828.aspx

He will miss the match against Morocco tomorrow.

On 10/6/2016 at 9:45 PM, Stryker911 said:

Has anyone heard how many years the deal is for?

@Stryker911 Short term. Until the summer.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Making his debut at home against Bristol (who are currently 5th). It's the end of the first half, he's apparently been very good so far, causing all sorts of problems for the Robins down the left flank. Cardiff are up 1-0 on a penalty, their first goal at home in two months.

• 1 month later...