CNL: Canada vs Jamaica - Tuesday, November 21st - 7:30pm EST / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Looking at ticket sales and it’s looking like it’ll be the highest attended nations league match we’ve had to date. I’ve seen tons of ads (which I wish were targeted to someone else obviously).

We'll see.

I believe three games got 17k+ each (two at BC Place and one at BMO) in past editions of the tournament, so that's the bar.

Any potential walk-up crowd will likely be squelched by the weather, so I have my doubts about this one going higher than 17k.

18 hours ago, Vasi said:

I'm Surprised by the total lack of marketing for this game.

Has anyone heard or seen a promo for this game? 

I have seen ads on Bein or it could be programmatic ad buys via fubo's platform. Someone here mentioned ads on Spotify.

We live in a fragmented media & sports consumption world. It is largely useless for a non-mass market property to try to get broad reach. It certainly isn't financially worth it for Canada Soccer given you can buy tickets for $20.

Other than people with Jamaican links, the unwashed masses aren't showing up on a cool November Tuesday night to watch a match in a competition they never heard of. If you have heard of it, Nations League isn't held in high regard amongst Europhiles. Copa America holds cachet in some circles but not because Canada is going to qualify.

I think the general Canadian sporting culture is very fickle. People have *their* teams who they support in a sport but won't necessarily follow the whole league or sport as in depth. Even the "types" of fans who go to games are wildly different than you see in other places.

Edited by FreddyCanuck

11 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Likely Demari Gray is back though unless there has been an update. I think he only just missed out on Saturday. He is absolutely a danger player along with Bailey.

Why is he likely back? He didnt even suit up on Saturday. Even if he is available i assume it's only as a sub.

34 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Why is he likely back? He didnt even suit up on Saturday. Even if he is available i assume it's only as a sub.

Quotes from the manager prior to Saturday was that he was a doubt and would have to pass a late fitness test. That indicates, to me at least, he was very close to making the match day squad and not a long term injury that they would immediately rule him out. He isn't lacking match fitness.

He is pivotal for them and they are chasing the tie. If he was borderline fit for Saturday I'd think there is a high chance he plays Tuesday. Assumption though, maybe he had a setback since.

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/sports/20231117/injury-concerns-boyz-heading-canada-clash#google_vignette

I got to see little of the preceding game as I only remembered about it and found a stream with about 10 minutes left.  Only later did I realize I had the channel within reach.  CBS Golazo is broadcasting NL games and likely will be doing Canada and Jamaica tomorrow (I haven't seen a schedule to confirm)

Panama and Costa Rica should be on in a couple of hours.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

13 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

The crappier the better.  Last game v Jamaica at home was pretty damn cold!

Yeah I know our guys prefer ideal conditions and it lets us ball, but I still feel like visiting Caribbean teams feel it a lot harder when November conditions are seasonally “Canadian”.   I have no doubt that Iceteca was assisted by the Mexicans being miserably cold.   Hopefully tonight’s suffering in the stands will have an analogous payoff.  

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah I know our guys prefer ideal conditions and it lets us ball, but I still feel like visiting Caribbean teams feel it a lot harder when November conditions are seasonally “Canadian”.   I have no doubt that Iceteca was assisted by the Mexicans being miserably cold.   Hopefully tonight’s suffering in the stands will have an analogous payoff.  

To be fair, of the players that started Saturday, Nicholson, Blake and Bailey are the only ones not born in England, I think.

Mid-low single digits with soaking rain is known in English football.

Unfortunately not seeing weather as a huge positive factor.