Gold Cup: Canada vs USA - Sunday, July 9th 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Cincinnati, OH (Match Thread)

Shway

7 minutes ago, king1010 said:

My 2 cents. I think you can be a fan while accepting the fact that you will lose. If that weren’t the case, the island minnows wouldn’t have any fans. 

I remember some dark gold cups in early 2010s, turning on the tv expecting us to score zero goals and thats what happened lol. I’m still here and have been here every-time in between. Id consider myself a “fan” and not someone “interested in being right”. 

I can relate.

These kids don't know about the days when we would watch Canada at the GC and hoping for them to score a single goal, and didn't the entire tournament... never mind the thought about winning games.

Following the CMNT post 2019 is all pride, guts, and glory. A perfect time to start your supporter journey.

3 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

agreed but Herdman hasnt really played 4-3-3. If we play ZMG, miller and vitoria we need a low block and guys with speed to counter. So millar would have to play up top. I'd be shocked if miller players anything other than lcb though.  

Prediction of herdmans line up. 
3-5-2 
ZMG Vitoria miller
Laryea fraser oso Ahmed 
Hoilett
Millar Cav 

I like this line up too. Except the weak side on the right with Zach and Steven it could easily get exploited, especially if we are hoping for Laryea to be the offensive threat he's been for us.

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Great example of what I'm talking about. Objectively speaking, no one should assume the Leafs are going to win anything because they will always find a way to fumble it. Nevertheless, fans watch because maybe this is their year, maybe Matthews or Marner goes insane and carries the team to the cup, maybe something. It won't happen, and anyone putting money on the game should bet against the Leafs, but you keep that hope alive just in case. Same thing with the Habs cup run in 21.

Ya, I think that's what a lot of us felt going back over a decade. 99% feeling was we wouldn't win, but we watched to hold on hope of that 1%. 

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Spot on. 

I like the personnel... just think the formation needs to be reworked or something. But playing Cavallini as the lone striker doesn't work, and like how Millar complimented his inabilities. 

So maybe a 442 with Hoilett in the LM position.

Fair enough.

I see it as attacking differently on the two wings.

Miller stays home (but looking for the long outlet which he has in his locker) while Millar is always pressing and up near Cavallini.  But also has the pace and drive to help out defensively.

On the other side, Hoilett would be cutting in a lot, and allowing Ahmed and Laryea to overlap and combine.

Generally, just allow players to do things they have done well recently or in the past. Give us the best chance of getting a result.

Yup, we are in tough for this next match. But we always get up for a match vs. the Yanks, and this game will be no different.  While I feel the team has not shown as much growth as I'd hoped over these first three matches, I DO feel they have more chemistry and cohesion now than they did at the start.  We will need to be disciplined with our shape and defensive posture, very physical, and we'll need a few moments of real quality once we have the ball.  Is Oso turning a corner? Have we found a more useful position for Millar?  Will the backline get it together? (I think part of the issue with the backline is that they don't have a midfield protecting them. You lose Staq, and suddenly you're naked out there.  

So, sure, we're obvious underdogs in this match.  But we've a fighting chance and I am expecting a hard fought match. 

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

I like this line up too. Except the weak side on the right with Zach and Steven it could easily get exploited, especially if we are hoping for Laryea to be the offensive threat he's been for us.

Right! I hate that combination but I dont think bombito starts RCB so the only other option is kennedy.  Anyone know his status? Was it all rumours he was leaving camp?

5 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Ya, I think that's what a lot of us felt going back over a decade. 99% feeling was we wouldn't win, but we watched to hold on hope of that 1%. 

Yeah I know, and I've watched a lot of those games where we got absolutely rolled. I don't think we need to pretend that our odds are better than they are, but realistically, what are our odds of pulling the upset against the states- 20%? 15%? Alright, what does a win for us look like? What's the lineup we need to put together to maximize those chances? What are the US' weaknesses that we can take advantage of to eek out a win? It was the same thing with the game against Croatia. We knew it would be our hardest game and we had next to no chance, but hey, maybe Davies has a career game because of the missed PK the prior game. Maybe Borjan stands on his head because he's so emotionally invested in beating Croatia. Maybe Modric really did lose a step- maybe a million different things. None of those things happened, we predictably got smoked, but I at least went into the game hoping the right pieces fell into place, and if they don't, well, that's that.

Edited by InglewoodJack

32 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Because your post was stupid and now you're being wilfully ignorant. Nowhere did I say anything about needing to "strongly think Canada can win". If you choose to follow teams you think are going to lose, that's a huge waste of time, and I suggest you pick up a new hobby.

I have been a fan of this team for around 30 years. 

I hope we win Sunday but I think this specific team will probably lose.

In all likelihood, I have been wasting my time following this team as it has largely been an exercise in masochism.  But here I am.  

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I have been a fan of this team for around 30 years. 

I hope we win Sunday but I think this specific team will probably lose.

In all likelihood, I have been wasting my time following this team as it has largely been an exercise in masochism.  But here I am.  

And yet I haven't seen you post 15 different times about how there's absolutely zero chance we win and how we're done and how you have to be crazy to think we have a chance so on and so forth. I'd assume at least part of the reason you've stuck around for 30 years is because you have at least some amount of hope that this time might be different than the other times.

Yeah this is the least confident I've been going into a game for a long time. I just don't think this team has what it takes to beat the US, let alone the tournament. But, as others have said, anything can happen and this is why the game is played. Hopefully we've reverse jinxed ourselves.

This game is a pretty big stage for this group of players. A lot of them will have something to prove or showcase their ability for a contract  with a new club, or prove  they should be a starter with their existing clubs. They know they underperformed in the last 3 games. Got to think the boys will be pumped for this game and I expect the work rate level to be way up. With the right tactical setup, it could happen.

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I agree we are missing our 6-8 best guys but a guy like ugbo or piette would also be a massive help this tournament. 
Missing guys 

Crepeau
Borjan (kinda)
Adekugbe
Davies
Cornelius
Kennedy maybe sort of ? 
AJ 
Buchanan
Staq
Kone
Hutch
Piette
Ugbo
David
Larin

Corbeanu - maybe he didnt make the cut, but maybe part of the reason is to allow him to sort out his club situation? 

Thats agruably 12-16ish guys missing 

And, the USA is missing about as many of their top guys. Both C+/B teams. Jamaica looks relatively stacked with higher level players.

11 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

And, the USA is missing about as many of their top guys. Both C+/B teams. Jamaica looks relatively stacked with higher level players.

Jamaica and Mexico are the two teams that are closest to full strength...but Mexico is just a mess and in transition...

I think the US is the favorite Sunday...they looked shaky vs Jamaica, but part of that was first game and Jamaica being a competent side...US has looked more cohesive the last two games but is that more about the US or how bad St Kitts/T&T were?? Probably both

11 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

I would argue even more guys missing. I think i count 5 players from the WC squad. (not including gk)

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know why there are so many "I think we can win" posts here. I think we can draw and take it from the penalty spot. We don't have to win and if it comes to that I'll take it.

Probably because we can win, anything is possible, and some people don't need to protect mentally weak states of mind by always tempering their optimism. 😉.

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

It's obvious you have never interacted with a Leafs fan. At the start of every year they know they're gonna win it all.

Leafs fans don't need the team to win for Leafs fans to feel they (i.e. Leafs fans) are already winners.  You can't lose when you are intrinsically (and eternally) a winner! 😉

(This from a Habs fan.)