Gold Cup: Canada vs USA - Sunday, July 9th 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Cincinnati, OH (Match Thread)

Shway

7 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Keep in mind Cornelius is a starter for most successful domestic club in Swedish history. There is a big difference from that and some bottom of the table team. 

To put this in another way, Kamal Miller went from anchoring what was the second worst team in MLS’ backline, then got traded to what became the second worst team in MLS. Love Kamal, but I think the difference in league between him and Cornelius gets erased by form and team success. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Vitoria, Osorio, Miller and Cavallini stand out in this regard. They were fine in the QF, but overall they played down to the level of the team instead of pulling the level of the team up, as you'd expect from core players.

I would say that in the earlier games the vets were running around more trying to patch up the holes left by the new guys who were still unfamiliar with the systems.  After a few more days of coaching and familiarization between games, there was a lot less of that and the vets could stick to their own roles.

I'm not a systems guy, but I'm guessing that ours are meant to work with even players of middling talent, and that individual brilliance is less important than being able to mesh tactically with the rest of the team.  Not doing your job in the system is going to make everyone around you look bad.  This is why Herdman complained so bitterly about not being able to afford more time prepping the players before the tournament.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not saying you’re wrong, but beyond league quality, Malmo is the second best team in Sweden, a point off from first, and a champions league slot. I think he is or was at some point the highest rated centre back in Sweden- that might be enough to slot in above our MLS guys. Vitoria has had an excellent season in Portugal, so he might be “#1” if such a rankings existed, but with age, tough to say.

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Keep in mind Cornelius is a starter for most successful domestic club in Swedish history. There is a big difference from that and some bottom of the table team. 

Agreed on both counts.  No idea why Derek got the punt from the Whitecaps but I was sad to see him go.  No idea why Herdman never plays him but I'm sad about that too.  But Malmo is a great place to land, especially if it means some European soccer.  That said, there's no way the Swedish league as a whole is better than MLS, Portugal or Austria.

On 7/10/2023 at 9:36 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

You're taking the prize for the biggest bullshitter on the board, congrats. You win and the States won, you'll be doubly happy.

It feels to me that TGAA-Star's posts are all AI-generated, no? This would make a lot more sense.

Edited by The Beaver 2.0

20 hours ago, rkomar said:

I would say that in the earlier games the vets were running around more trying to patch up the holes left by the new guys who were still unfamiliar with the systems.  After a few more days of coaching and familiarization between games, there was a lot less of that and the vets could stick to their own roles.

This is dead on.  When Eustaquio and Kaye/Kone are in there a guy like Oso can focus on doing what he is there to do and what he is good at. Much like Vitoria looks better when he has Johnston and Miller beside him, its synergy eh?  If Buchanon and Davies are attacking the flanks, the CM doesnt need to create as much and it'll be easier if the wingers drag the FB wide and give him more space.  Lareya however can look real good sometimes with a B/C squad because a lot of his game is making his freakish individual runs and beating guys one v one. Or conversely, helping out his slower defender teammates recovering on the break etc.  

23 hours ago, jonovision said:

From what we can see of which players are wearing the substitutes vests and which aren't this would have occurred at half time.

Was thinking the same. The teams wouldn't have been walking in at the same time after the game.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Buchanon and Davies are attacking the flanks, the CM doesnt need to create as much and it'll be easier if the wingers drag the FB wide and give him more space.  Lareya however can look real good sometimes with a B/C squad because a lot of his game is making his freakish individual runs and beating guys one v one. Or conversely, helping out his slower defender teammates recovering on the break etc.  

And this was a point I made in another thread. We weren't balanced as our attack predominantly came from the right side with Ahmed and Laryea wiling to drive down the line. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I like positive TGAA-Star but when he's programmed for evil he makes me angry 

It's kinda like Terminator 2 v Terminator 1

Are you Phonzie Davies? Get in now. I'm from Ghana and I'm here to save you

I agree.  He used to post things like "Herdman should play his best players." and "Go Jonathan David!".  Now it's like "We $%^&in suck!" and "I hate us - we're terrible!!!"  I'm a little worried to be honest.  🤔

19 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Don’t think McGill is better but I think it’s time to phase Borjan out

Think we can say that about many of our vets over 30. Unfortunately they don't seem to be aging like Atiba and there's only so many players you can carry who still have the skill but not the physical ability to keep up.