Gold Cup: Canada vs USA - Sunday, July 9th 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Cincinnati, OH (Match Thread)

Shway

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I like the Shaffelburg start. I feel like his MLS experience is really gonna come in handy- he's probably played every player on the US team before. Also allows Nelson to come off the bench which plays to his strength, I think.

I like starting Vitoria too- if we win, we're gonna need at least one fluky goal, and having Vitoria as a set piece aerial threat is probably one of the easier ways we can score.

He has also been putting in good crosses anytime he gets a chance. Millar's have been dreadful. Hopefully Millar can build on last game with some confidence and pop another. 

Edited by Stryker911

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

Absolutely.  Ahmed as LB vs. the US maximizes his weaknesses and minimizes his strengths. 

Assuming we play 3-5-2: Problem is that it is the same for ZBG, (although a bit less but hes a lesser player to begin with), Shaf, millar, or any other wingbacks. Obviously we cant play miller or kennedy lwb. 

So if we are go with a back 4 then its the same issue for all fullback/wingers playing lb, or we try something new and have a non mobile CB go out wide and basically give up any attacking threat from LB. 

11 hours ago, Shway said:

The ref: 
👤 Marco Antonio Ortiz Nava 🇲🇽
🚩 Christian Kiabek Espinosa Zavala 🇲🇽
🚩 Jorge Antonio Sánchez Espinoza 🇲🇽
📺 Oshane Anthony Nation 🇯🇲

He has reffed only 1 game for us against Aruba.  Gave Vitoria a card in early in the game (14' min)

In addition to that match against Aruba, I think we've also seen him in this tournament already when we received 5 cards against Guatemala.

44 minutes ago, king1010 said:

This ref loves giving out cards. It was mentioned on the onesoccer broadcast how many he has given out in ligamx. 

Sooo if we somehow get through this game screwed for the semis with multiple suspensions.

6 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Sooo if we somehow get through this game screwed for the semis with multiple suspensions.

Assuming Canada gets through this game very very big if because realistically they stand no chance

Edited by TGAA_Star

4 hours ago, gigi riva said:

My heart says  we win but my brain says we will lose . i think we have the talent to  take on the Mighty mighty USA but its just our tactics we need to improve on . 

You're joking right? USA a team who in this Gold Cup have been well coached and have looked impressive...you expect a team like this to lose to Canada who have been disappointing all tournament?

You clearly didn’t watch gold cups 2011, 2013 or 2015. We didn’t score a goal IN OPEN PLAY in any of those tournaments. But go on, we now suck with our best 6-8 players missing. If we had our best 6-8 players missing in any other gold cups prior to 2019 we would have had a team that lost to Guatemala and Guadeloupe. 

Edited by Alex

3 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

Correct they reset after this round

They reset after the quarters, but suspensions caused by this game carry through I believe.  For example, in 2021 Cava got a second yellow in the CR quarter-final and was suspended for the Mexico game (that’s why Tesho had to start).

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

You're joking right? USA a team who in this Gold Cup have been well coached and have looked impressive...you expect a team like this to lose to Canada who have been disappointing all tournament?

Did you read what he said?

his brain says we’re going to lose. his heart wants us to win. He doesn’t expect the USA to lose. 

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Just really can’t wrap my head around caring about this team one bit if you think we’re gonna lose. For fuck’s sake, go watch another sport or something. Can’t imagine finding any joy in that

I’m pretty sure TFC isn’t going to with the MLS cup but I still watch them and hope they win..really no different here. 
i think if these two exact teams play 10 times the US wins 8 and Canada wins 2.  I’ll root for the 20% chance happening 

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

I’m pretty sure TFC isn’t going to with the MLS cup but I still watch them and hope they win..really no different here. 
i think if these two exact teams play 10 times the US wins 8 and Canada wins 2.  I’ll root for the 20% chance happening 

Yeah, this is exactly where I’m at. We’re underdogs playing the tournament favourite in their home, with all of our best players missing, of course the deck is stacked against us, but if I was convinced that we had no chance and we’re guaranteed a loss, honestly, there’s better use of my time than watching the game, let alone post about it for a week prior. I’ll watch because there’s a chance we pull an upset, and if we don’t beat the odds and we lose, I’m fine with dealing with that disappointment instead of cheap satisfaction of having been right.