CNL FINAL: Canada vs USA - Sunday, June 18th - 8:30 pm ET/5:30 pm PT - Las Vegas

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wanted to comment on Borjan: on that one free kick he bobbled and they almost put in the rebound, he was cheating towards a cross and was not ready for a ball that came past the wall into the middle of the net. Watch it, he was leaning to the far-post cross.

I think you saw that wrong, unless there was another free kick I am forgetting? The kick was taken from his left side, and the ref made the wall stand about 15 yards away from the ball for some reason, if we are thinking of the same free kick. He didn't cheat towards a cross. He was cheating towards his near post, anticipating a shot over the wall. He shuffled to his left (near post) and then the kick was taken for power, basically dead centre of the net so he had to stop his momentum and go the other way (to his right) to get down and stop it.

Either way you look at it, it didn't inspire a lot of confidence. He did have an outstanding catch in the second half though at nearly full stretch. I was expecting it to be pushed out for a corner but he somehow gobbled it up.

The USA on home turf are very tricky to beat . there record at home is excellent , meanwhile away from the USA there record is not that great. Kind of wish this game was being played in a neutral setting  but what can you do it is what it is . IN all honesty the Americans are the favourites here  and we will need to step up our game big time . And from what I see the Yanks seem to think all they have to do is just show up and victory is theirs .Hopefully we use that as motivation ,

16 minutes ago, ensco said:

Would they play 30 minutes if tied after 90?

I assume so, but Concacaf has rules about heading straight to PKs after 90 in club competitions…

Good question. 

They only left a half hour gap between matches on Sunday so I'm guessing it's straight to PKs.

Also our match will probably start late regardless 

The US will definitely be an extreme test for our boys… in fact, I am a bit nervous after watching them man-handle Mexico.

I’m thinking an exact carbon copy of our home match during quals is in order.  We’ve got a similar narrow pitch so let’s bunker down and pack the middle while being extremely physical - full concentration on keeping Pulisic to the outside - which we did so well that last game. I was also so impressed with both David and Larin’s attention to defending, and we’ll need an equal effort this time out.  

15 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

The US will definitely be an extreme test for our boys… in fact, I am a bit nervous after watching them man-handle Mexico.

I’m thinking an exact carbon copy of our home match during quals is in order.  We’ve got a similar narrow pitch so let’s bunker down and pack the middle while being extremely physical - full concentration on keeping Pulisic to the outside - which we did so well that last game. I was also so impressed with both David and Larin’s attention to defending, and we’ll need an equal effort this time out.  

Based on the 2 semis I agree but we know Canada underperformed and the US have to be emotionally spent and short McKennie & Dest. McKennie btw was their best  player by far, at our  home game in Hamilton. They had chances but couldn't convert. Will Balogun be the diff or can we get another clinical performance by Larin & David? It's gonna be tight.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I have been watching a lot of stuff on Golazo! which has turned out to be a fantastic channel.  I usually hate FAST channels that basically consist of talk panels, but this one has tons of games usually a couple hours later or they show them live with a specific view. 

The panel shows are good now because there is a large amount of CNL and soon GC discussions.  They sure love their Hispanic (is that the right word) audience, they get all the love (I guess the name says it all).  There was a lot of talk about Panama moreso than the favoured Canada,  I will say when they do speak of Canada it is in pretty good terms.

But they've finally figured out the number one lesson of mainstream broadcasting, don't give out anything for free.  Previously they were showing games in tactical (wide) view which was great.  Now they've come up with star view which basically is a tight shot of one player for the whole match (sans audio).  It is more than unwatchable it is frustrating, why would you do that to an audience other than you want them to subscribe to a pay service which many other FAST services are doing now

I don't care how much of a soccer snob anyone can claim to BS us with but that is unwatchable for any length of time.  When you get stuff for free (advertising accepted) you have to assume lower expectations, but that...

So, somewhat astonishingly, the Americans actually appealed McKennie’s red despite the clear video footage of applying a choke hold to an opponent’s neck. Unsurprisingly the appeal has been turned down according to Concacaf twitter, and even more unsurprisingly the US fans on Twitter are outraged. They want to leave Concacaf because they feel that this confederation - the one that lets them host every single confederation senior team tournament- is biased against them.

23 hours ago, king1010 said:

Who is banged up? 

Banged up/just coming off injury/not in game shape:  Oso, Davies, Adekugbe, Johnston, Tajon, Staq

Some of these guys got a couple of games in with their clubs prior to these finals, but only a couple. 

But it is encouraging to see that all 23 players were in full training today!

23 hours ago, Obinna said:

I appreciate Oso and Hoilett and think we need at least one (though both would be fine), but I would feel better with Kone's athleticism to help keep the US midfield at bay. No McKennie will help, but Musah can be a handful and having Kone could cancel him out and break up play for us a little bit. On the flipside, De La Torre is probably going to play along with Reyna so maybe this is the game for both Oso and Hoilett to start. 

I think we need 5 in the midfield, for sure, and to that end I'd sit Tajon and stick Oso just in behind them, with staq and kone in the CM, Davies and Richie on the flanks.  

Davies starts, right?

16 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Davies starts, right?

For me, absolutely.  I don’t know his conditioning as well as Herdman and crew but he is phenomenal physical condition and changed the tone of the game when he subbed on against Panama.  He is our crown jewel (or at least one of two) and I can’t see him not staring the final.