Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

58 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

As things currently stand, the pots look something like this, based on the FIFA rankings (October):

Pot 1: Argentina (1), Brazil (3), USA (11), Uruguay (15)

Pot 2: Peru (26), Ecuador (36), Chile (37), Panama (44)

Pot 3: Canada (45), Costa Rica (46), Paraguay (52), Venezuela (53)

Pot 4: Honduras (78), Bolivia (85), Playoff 1, Playoff 2

Playoffs:

Mexico (12)

Costa Rica (46)

Jamaica (55)

Trinidad & Tobago (99)

If Mexico fails to overturn their deficit against Honduras, we have a slim opportunity to make it into Pot 2, but we need help. Panama were ~6 pts ahead of us heading into the window, and matched our result while playing a better team. We need to beat Jamaica, and have Costa Rica at least win the second leg (and probably the whole tie) to move up. 

I wonder what the rankings would look like had played and won the Panama friendly last year… or won against Guatemala… or had more than one friendly this year. 😕

Missing Colombia I think and you have Costa Rica through, but they are currently losing to Panama. 

49 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Costa Rica is there instead of Colombia. Typo I guess. Panama is there.

58 minutes ago, shorty said:

Missing Colombia I think and you have Costa Rica through, but they are currently losing to Panama. 

This is what happens when I try to post in the middle of a move. Fixed the original post. Colombia is 17th and slots in to pot 2. Panama gets bumped to pot 3 with us. We’re squarely pot 3 with no hope of moving.

A reminder on how the pots were determined for the Centenario in 2015, when there were 6 CONCACAF teams.

"The United States (Group A) were seeded as host, while Argentina (Group D) were seeded as the highest FIFA-ranked team in the CONMEBOL region during December 2015. According to Soccer United Marketing, Brazil (Group B ) and Mexico (Group C) were seeded as they were "the most decorated nations in the last 100 years in international competitions from their respective confederations". "

There was also a CONCACAF pot for the other 4 CONCACAF teams.

Man as good as it is for Mexico to fail (I don't think they get past Honduras) and miss the NL final four, having them as a playoff team is going to cause a group of death somewhere. And couldn't you just see Canada in a group of death AGAIN? I can totally see us drawing Brazil, Ecuador and Mexico. Great games an all, but I would prefer a sweetheart group that we can get out of more realistically, as it would be big for this group to advance. Give me Uruguay, Chile and Honduras in the group stage. 

35 minutes ago, Kent said:

A reminder on how the pots were determined for the Centenario in 2015, when there were 6 CONCACAF teams.

"The United States (Group A) were seeded as host, while Argentina (Group D) were seeded as the highest FIFA-ranked team in the CONMEBOL region during December 2015. According to Soccer United Marketing, Brazil (Group B ) and Mexico (Group C) were seeded as they were "the most decorated nations in the last 100 years in international competitions from their respective confederations". "

There was also a CONCACAF pot for the other 4 CONCACAF teams.

So in other words, Concacaf and CONEMBOL will make these groups as they deem fit. 

Group A
USA

Group B 
Argentina

Group C
Brazil

Group D
Mexico

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Man as good as it is for Mexico to fail (I don't think they get past Honduras) and miss the NL final four, having them as a playoff team is going to cause a group of death somewhere. And couldn't you just see Canada in a group of death AGAIN? I can totally see us drawing Brazil, Ecuador and Mexico. Great games an all, but I would prefer a sweetheart group that we can get out of more realistically, as it would be big for this group to advance. Give me Uruguay, Chile and Honduras in the group stage. 

First steps, first 

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

But then being a playoff team, would it be enough to affect their ranking? I don't think so, especially with what's happening with Costa Rica. 

18 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Given the teams current form, I'm not sure there's a group they could get out of.  I'd settle for not going 0-0-3 like both World Cups.

The draw is on December 7th, which is before the playoff. So I guess if Mexico lose out to Honduras, they won't have a way to put Mexico in a specific group. I still think there will be a CONCACAF pot, but if either USA or Mexico fail to win their QF match up, I don't know how they would pick which 2 CONCACAF teams are outside the CONCACAF pot.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Given the teams current form, I'm not sure there's a group they could get out of.  I'd settle for not going 0-0-3 like both World Cups.

I was kind of thinking this too, but if we take care of business on Tuesday and then have a productive January camp (with a win), we could be heading into the NL semi final with some momentum. And if that goes well our form may have completely turned around come Copa America.

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

I was kind of thinking this too, but if we take care of business on Tuesday and then have a productive January camp (with a win), we could be heading into the NL semi final with some momentum. And if that goes well our form may have completely turned around come Copa America.

There has been 0 indication that there will be a January camp.

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

To perhaps sin by optimism: I am not too overly confident in Mexico's ability to right the ship right now so our semi-final has a good chance to be against Panama, which we know we can out-talent in an A team vs A team game when it comes down to it. Then final again, where the US would probably be favourite but its one game and Berhalter at the helm...

I could see a plausible scenario where we come to Copa America on a high, the challenges of this year having been put behind us.

On 11/18/2023 at 7:55 PM, Watchmen said:

Really? I've been watching the SAmericam qualifiers and some of those teams are really not looking good. The only teams I wouldn't like our chances against right now are

Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Ecuador, Colombia, US

Push - Venezuela, Mexico 

Like our chances - Panama, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Honduras, Chile, Paraguay, Peru, Bolivia

If I was a betting man I'd say "if" we qualify we've got about a 37.5% chance of getting out of our group

We should definitely beat anyone from that 4th pot

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, narduch said:

The final will be played the exact same day as the Eurocup final in Germany this summer, July 14. 

You have to wonder why they did this. For example, it would be logical for the Berlin final to be played in the day, while temperatures would recommend the Copa final later in the evening. So the times with the 6-hour spread could be close.

Indeed the Eurocup dates closely coincide with Copa, the Eurocup starts the previous week, on June 14; there are 10 venues, final in Berlin, semis at Munich and Dortmund.

Edit: I saw an English site that says the final and semis will be played at 9pm local time, 3pm EST. The UEFA site does not commit to times yet. Hopefully the Copa final is also in the evening, so they don't coincide.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist