CONCACAF U17 qualifying: Guatemala Feb 2023 ( + preparation & news )

8 hours ago, Sal333 said:

You may be right but this team is slowly jelling. I could them beating those two. 

Y'all have done well in this U17. Was this the best U17 roster Canada could,

Depending on what players feel and if Keyrol Figueroa is injured. Y'all will have a chance.

1 hour ago, Sechat23 said:

Y'all have done well in this U17. Was this the best U17 roster Canada could,

Depending on what players feel and if Keyrol Figueroa is injured. Y'all will have a chance.

Yes, your team will have a chance as well. Let’s make a bet. If we win, you fuck off from this forum and return to r/we have a combined negative football IQ. If we lose, you do the same. Deal? Cool.

Edited by phresh

1 hour ago, Kent said:

It's cool that we qualified, but it feels weird that we did it with our only results coming against Caribbean teams. T&T, Barbados, Haiti, and Puerto Rico.

Crazy when you look at it like that. 
Very fortunate draw it was in the end. 

Definitely would not have wanted Mexicos path of Curacao, Guatemala, Panama, Nicaragua, El Salvador...something about those latin teams.

Congrats to the boys and coaching staff, but just from watching the game vs PR, this group is less talented than the one that went to the U17WC in Brazil with Jayden, JRR, Kamron, Priso, Rea but they are playing as a team and seem to gel better. Perhaps Olivieri has progressed as a coach because the squad that qualified for Brazil used the long ball a lot and relied on the individual skills of Nelsen, JRR and Kamron 

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Congrats to the boys and coaching staff, but just from watching the game vs PR, this group is less talented than the one that went to the U17WC in Brazil with Jayden, JRR, Kamron, Priso, Rea but they are playing as a team and seem to gel better. Perhaps Olivieri has progressed as a coach because the squad that qualified for Brazil used the long ball a lot and relied on the individual skills of Nelsen, JRR and Kamron 

This. You would've sworn Nelsen was Neymar as that was their only game plan it seemed. 

18 minutes ago, Sechat23 said:

Don't take too much from this because they are 'kids'. 

One thing you can see and or get from a U17 is talent.

In Chukwu’s case he is an underager yet was one of the best players on the pitch - he looks special. I remember Jordan Hamilton in 2011 being a beast as an underaged sub but this was another level. 

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Not at all. I’m saying he looks talented, especially when his age is taken into account. I think he’ll go far. 

Yea I'm not too high on many players because they are just 15-17 years old.

Figueroa is one of the best players but there's still things he can do to take it to the next level but it's up to him.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, VinceA said:

It is somewhat an indictment on talent development and scouting in this country when many of our players only have senior appearances (or only some sort of U23 cap) when it comes to repping Canada.

You'd think more Sigma and Vaughan kids would be scouted by Canada Soccer considering what they've done in terms getting talent to professional ranks. How there weren't any on the U17 team except for one Sigma kid who didn't even make the final tourney team is beyond me.

1) Puberty hits some much later than it hits others

2) We can't select a U17 squad based on how good you think they will be in 6 years time.

@VinceA , as an exercise I encourage you to post a list of 20 players here in this thread, and we can revisit this thread in 2 years, 6 years and 10 years and see if your list does better career-wise long-term than our U17 squad.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

29 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) Puberty hits some much later than it hita others

2) We can't select a U17 squad based on how good you think they will be in 6 years time.

@VinceA , as an exercise I encourage you to post a list of 20 players here in tbia thread, and we can revisit this thread in 2 years, 6 years and 10 years and see if your list does better career-wise long-term than our U17 squad.

I don't even think they picked some of the best players from within the 3 MLS sides 😁

Joses Chukwu (#9) & Tyler Londono (#6) from TFC would be big upgrades from the qualifying roster.

1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

I don't even think they picked some of the best players from within the 3 MLS sides 😁

Joses Chukwu (#9) & Tyler Londono (#6) from TFC would be big upgrades from the qualifying roster.

Wasn't Chukwu injured?

14 hours ago, Footyeh said:

What’s the name of the kid from Red Bulls, the one who was denied do to not playing in an mls academy ?