Tom Holmes

Atlantic

2 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Time to move this thread to World Soccer.  

Losing Mitrovic AND Tom Holmes in the same week is a huge blow. Although technically we didn't "lose" Holmes, we just got blue balled to death.

I gotta say, you guys blue balled yourself.  Wheels told you he wasnt eligible (he told you so...HEHEHE), and just from a long time CDN fan, if a rumor is positive i usually say there is at least 50% its total horseshit without giving it another thought.  I'm still thinking Koleosho is going to do a switcher roo and show up at the american camp.  

22 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Not going to lie here but this is one where the CSA can get the gov involved and exempt him. They won’t, but it’s not like they couldn’t.

No. The law is pretty clear here, no gray area. Nothing the CSA can do. Unless the law changes, the only way Holmes can become a Canadian citizen is by applying for citizenship like any other non citizen trying to become a citizen has to.

58 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

No. The law is pretty clear here, no gray area. Nothing the CSA can do. Unless the law changes, the only way Holmes can become a Canadian citizen is by applying for citizenship like any other non citizen trying to become a citizen has to.

I think the point is they want the csa to pressure the government to exempt him from the 2009 law similar to how other countries push through citizenship for players

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

I think the point is they want the csa to pressure the government to exempt him from the 2009 law similar to how other countries push through citizenship for players

lol the idea of the CSA having any standing to try and pressure the federal government is laughable at best 

Edited by LeoH037

So, the passport is central to eligibility even if otherwise Holmes meets the FIFA conditions? That would appear to create an inequitable accessibility for players who want to play internationally. FIFA says yes, country A says yes, but country B says no. Is that fair? I know all kinds of people who do not have passports but are citizens. Does a new citizen to Canada now require a Canadian passport? Player has a granny born in Country B and that player is eligible because they get a passport from Country B. Holmes meets FIFA conditions, but Canada will not issue a passport. Weird that ultimately it may not FIFA which decides eligibility. (Oops - a bit repetitive).

25 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

So, the passport is central to eligibility even if otherwise Holmes meets the FIFA conditions? That would appear to create an inequitable accessibility for players who want to play internationally. FIFA says yes, country A says yes, but country B says no. Is that fair? I know all kinds of people who do not have passports but are citizens. Does a new citizen to Canada now require a Canadian passport? Player has a granny born in Country B and that player is eligible because they get a passport from Country B. Holmes meets FIFA conditions, but Canada will not issue a passport. Weird that ultimately it may not FIFA which decides eligibility. (Oops - a bit repetitive).

UGHH.   The passport is the travel document that lets dual or new CDNs travel in and out of Canada.  So if they want to travel around as a CDN playing soccer they need it eh? You can become a CDN citizen without getting a passport.  And if you are a regular old, born here, 1 nationality CDN you can leave and reenter Canada without a passport..or at least you used to be able to, but countries all have their own rules for who and what ID/paperwork they require to let people in.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

UGHH.   The passport is the travel document that lets dual or new CDNs travel in and out of Canada.  So if they want to travel around as a CDN playing soccer they need it eh? You can become a CDN citizen without getting a passport.  And if you are a regular old, born here, 1 nationality CDN you can leave and reenter Canada without a passport..or at least you used to be able to, but countries all have their own rules for who and what ID/paperwork they require to let people in.  

You don't necessarily need a passport to leave. But you certainly need one to enter another country. Pre-9/11, Canadians could enter the US via a land-border crossing without a passport, but with some other form of proof of citizenship. That's over, now, though, I think.

48 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

You don't necessarily need a passport to leave. But you certainly need one to enter another country. Pre-9/11, Canadians could enter the US via a land-border crossing without a passport, but with some other form of proof of citizenship. That's over, now, though, I think.

Pre- 911, my grandparents lived near the border and had a mailbox over the line, you could pop back and forth all you wanted.  Very rarely checked anything.

All changed now if course. Check your passport every time.

55 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Can a person play for Canada but travel on, say, a British passport? Last Question!  : )

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Not fair but we knew that already, with nations in CONCACAF creating sporting passports.

3 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

The passport is not the issue, the issue is that Holmes is NOT a Canadian citizen. Its not complicated. Holmes cannot get a Canadian passport because he IS NOT a Canadian citizen, as one is no longer able to inherit citizenship through a Canadian born grandparent, only a parent. 

4 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

The passport is not the issue, the issue is that Holmes is NOT a Canadian citizen. Its not complicated. Holmes cannot get a Canadian passport because he IS NOT a Canadian citizen, as one is no longer able to inherit citizenship through a Canadian born grandparent, only a parent. 

Thanks, man.

10 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Agree The government has to provide The player a passport becsuse he is gonna represent The country as an athlete, since he is good enough.  

6 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Thats just stupid becsuse any other country goes as  grndparents.  Canadá as a nation has to provide the player a passport if his granny is Canadian or adopted by a canadian

42 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

That's the problem but the government has to give him a leeway.  Bureaucracy. 

Strongly disagree on this one. As much as I am a supporter of getting the best team of eligible players we can gather according to FIFA's rules and Canada's citizenship laws, without letting any no true Scotsman argument get in the way, and I believe that Holmes would have filled an important need for the team we shouldn't try to bend the rules just because its convenient on the pitch. That's the line we shouldn't cross because that's when a national team start to become less about representation and more about recruitment.

Like, that's the kind of stuff we criticize Qatar and other wealthy, yet no so populous, places for doing: basically assembling something that technically respect the letter of FIFA's rules but is essentially a professional team in national kits. Of course, one player wouldn't have gotten Canada there but it would have been a step in that direction.

Its a massive bummer that Holmes isn't eligible but he isn't eligible and that's that.

Edited by phil03

4 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Strongly disagree on this one. As much as I am a supporter of getting the best team of eligible players we can gather according to FIFA's rules and Canada's citizenship laws, without letting any no true Scotsman argument get in the way, and I believe that Holmes would have filled an important need for the team we shouldn't try to bend the rules just because its convenient on the pitch. That's the line we shouldn't cross because that's when a national team start to become less about representation and more about recruitment.

Like, that's the kind of stuff we criticize Qatar and other wealthy, yet no so populous, places for doing: basically assembling something that technically respect the letter of FIFA's rules but is essentially a professional team in national kits. Of course, one player wouldn't have gotten Canada there but it would have been a step in that direction.

Its a massive bummer that Holmes isn't eligible but he isn't eligible and that's that.

I understand your point but your policy is acting against the football permission that's the bad thing in my opinion.  Ireland has used the granny rule for ages with the Lawrenson, Galvin, Sheedy, Aldo, Houghton,  McAteers etc of life.  They were taken away Grealish and Rice, that's why Collins stomp on Jacko yesterday. 

Any team has the human right to improve the national football team.  You had a few guys that were taken away from your football national representative.  And it had afflicted your football development tremendously. 

Jono De Guzman

Hargreaves

Tomori 

Begovic

Johan Vant Ship

Alan Mannus

Jimmy Nichol

Alain Rochat