Sean Rea

PegCityCam

Had a chance to witness his talents on display for Valour last season as well as his first goal: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVi4P4lPIR-/?utm_medium=copy_link    

Small but extremely feisty, technically sound and hard-working I believe he deserves some attention. He just missed out on the top 50 MLS prospect list per Top Drawer Soccer:

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/ranking-the-top-50-prospects-in-mls:-2022_aid50535

Here's his wiki info:

Born in Montreal May 15, 2002 Rea joined the academy of Montreal Impact in 2014. He signed his first professional contract with the club in December 2020, and was subsequently loaned out to Valour FC. On 27 June 2021, Rea made his professional debut for Valour as a starter in the opening match of the 2021 season. Upon completion of the 2021 MLS season, CF Montréal would announce that they would exercise the option on Rea's contract for 2022.

He has got to go on Loan again this season.

No place for him and I believe in the loan system where he's gonna play 90 minutes every week instead of sit on the bench and play the odd game for Montreal.

No rush, he's still 19 years old and Montreal has plenty of depth. 

I believe him and Sirois will be with the club next year, along with Kone and Zouhir who locked their spot this year.

9 hours ago, P-O said:

He has got to go on Loan again this season.

No place for him and I believe in the loan system where he's gonna play 90 minutes every week instead of sit on the bench and play the odd game for Montreal.

No rush, he's still 19 years old and Montreal has plenty of depth. 

I believe him and Sirois will be with the club next year, along with Kone and Zouhir who locked their spot this year.

A second pro team in Quebec would do wonders for players like this. Lots of talent emerging from Quebec, only so many spots with the Impact.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I'm pretty sure Saputo opted to put a team in PLSQ instead of MNP because he wouldn't have to pay salaries LOL

To bring it back around to Sean, I remember checking on his contract last year and I believe it was 80K (maybe 75) Not sure what he's signed for this year.

*My bad: 72K last year guaranteed*

Edited by PegCityCam
Correction

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Saputo rightfully knows that NextPro probably won't be around in 5 years and doesn't want to waste the money

You think huh?

I think it will remain exactly what it is…a bridge U-23 league where academy players, draft picks, and young homegrowns will play.
The D3 tag is just a facade and teams like Rochester will die or move leagues.

As of 2023 I believe it will be mandatory for all MLS teams to have a MLS NextPro team. So Uncle Joey won’t have to worry about solely spending his money.

24 minutes ago, Shway said:

You think huh?

I think it will remain exactly what it is…a bridge U-23 league where academy players, draft picks, and young homegrowns will play.
The D3 tag is just a facade and teams like Rochester will die or move leagues.

As of 2023 I believe it will be mandatory for all MLS teams to have a MLS NextPro team. So Uncle Joey won’t have to worry about solely spending his money.

Maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic saying it will only last 5 years.

But I'm also old enough to remember the MLS Reserve league and the MLS-USL partnership. 

I'm highly skeptical MLS will stick with it if it bleeds money 

Players need to play in professional environments and I’m not just talking about the level of play. These pathway leagues need to try and be as professional as they can. Therefore, young players going to these leagues ,  League 1 Ontario, MLS Pro and even the CPL need to do their best in creating a professional environment as much as they can. A player needs to feel that environment, it also helps in inspiring and motivating a player to keep on going and improving . One thing that I found a bit disheartening when I was quasi involved with a League 1 Ontario team a few seasons ago 2019 to be exact , was little things that gave the experience the look at times of a just any regular men’s open age soccer league one plays in after your youth soccer days are over. Things like no change rooms at your practice soccer field , always having practice with at least 6 to 7 guys missing practise for whatever excuse, guys missing games because of some excuse , players going on vacation during the middle of the season and missing games , players showing up late for games . These were not things isolated to the team I was around but things that many teams in the league experienced. Therefore, yes we want these pathway leagues like League 1 Ontario and so on but they need to make sure they are run as professional as they can to keep the serious young players motivated and interested and hopefully making the next step.

• 2 months later...