Sean Rea

PegCityCam

That video just goes to show how unfortunate it is that Canadians can't go to europe before they're 18. You show that Sean Rea mixtape to a barca or a Bayern Munich and he's probably a top team player by now, instead of someone trying to break into MLS. Whatever, it'll be funny to play clips from that at the next world cup after watching Rea, as part of the best midfield trio at the WC, nutmeg Kylian Mbappe.

Edited by InglewoodJack

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

That video just goes to show how unfortunate it is that Canadians can't go to europe before they're 18. You show that Sean Rea mixtape to a barca or a Bayern Munich and he's probably a top team player by now, instead of someone trying to break into MLS. Whatever, it'll be funny to play clips from that at the next world cup after watching Rea, as part of the best midfield trio at the WC, nutmeg Kylian Mbappe.

While true for some, this isn't the case for him and many others. Sean Rea can taps into his ancestry the same way Liam Millar, Daniel Jebbison, Lucas Dias, Marcelo Flores, Dominik Yankov, and Junior Hoilett were able too to get to where they wanted. 

It's the guys like Doneil Henry, Cyle Larin, Raheem Edwards, Tajon Buchanan, Mark Anthony Kaye, Kamal Miller, Richie Laryea, Derek Corneilius, Jonathan Osorio, and Lucas Cavallini who have had to forge their own paths on this side of the continent to get where they want too. 

But like Herdman said, we needed to get qualify for 22 regardless of the results because it shows that our guys can play on this stage and will have greater eyes on the talent here. It's the reason why Kone is at Watford and not at Bodo/Glimit.

9 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Juggling and those sort of skills, and play, are often completely different skill sets. True, no pro is unable to juggle, but plenty of people, and kids too, can juggle but can't really play to any consequence. 

I assure you Barça would never look at or pay any attention to that sort of video.

When my kid started in a high performance team at age 11, he was rather tiny and wore protective glasses, he did not look cool. He could walk up and down the pitch casually keeping the ball up, without dropping. People noticed, but it was not what caught the coach's eye. One coach, Santi Pou, who actually works for Girona in La Liga now, one day mentioned how impressed he was by his penalty taking, which they'd do as a game at the end of some practices. He'd cooly slot it in, with no pressure, and did not miss. That is far more substantial I'd say than trickery.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Juggling and those sort of skills, and play, are often completely different skill sets. True, no pro is unable to juggle, but plenty of people, and kids too, can juggle but can't really play to any consequence. 

I assure you Barça would never look at or pay any attention to that sort of video.

When my kid started in a high performance team at age 11, he was rather tiny and wore protective glasses, he did not look cool. He could walk up and down the pitch casually keeping the ball in up, without dropping. People noticed, but it was not what caught the coach's eye. One coach, Santi Pou, who actually works for Girona in La Liga now, one day mentioned how impressed he was by his penalty taking, which they'd do as a game at the end of some practices. He'd cooly slot it in, with no pressure, and did not miss. That is far more substantial I'd say than trickery.

You think? I think if his name was Seaninho that video would've earned his boyhood club 50 million euros from Madrid.

I'm being sarcastic- that video isn't very impressive and I am certain there are 100,000 13 year olds who could've played circles around him. To be honest though, it's a testament to how our players develop when given a shot- that video doesn't spell professional soccer player at all, but he got his chance in the CPL, it's looking like he'll have a shot at playing in MLS this season, and beyond that, who knows. I am sure Alistair Johnston and Joel Waterman probably looked similar at his age.

Edited by InglewoodJack

23 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

You think? I think if his name was Seaninho that video would've earned his boyhood club 50 million euros from Madrid.

I'm being sarcastic- that video isn't very impressive and I am certain there are 100,000 13 year olds who could've played circles around him. To be honest though, it's a testament to how our players develop when given a shot- that video doesn't spell professional soccer player at all, but he got his chance in the CPL, it's looking like he'll have a shot at playing in MLS this season, and beyond that, who knows. I am sure Alistair Johnston and Joel Waterman probably looked similar at his age.

Just like the video doesn't demonstrate he's a great footballer, it doesn't demonstrate he's a poor one either. You've just taken it to the opposite extreme. 

5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Just like the video doesn't demonstrate he's a great footballer, it doesn't demonstrate he's a poor one either. You've just taken it to the opposite extreme. 

Was the video not shared because it's funny to compare where he was at at that age vs. the player he grew up to be? I mean, it's just a kid showing off some moves. It doesn't spell future pro, but he got better, seized his opportunities, and now he has a really good career ahead of him.

Was the video not shared because it's funny to compare where he was at at that age vs. the player he grew up to be? I mean, it's just a kid showing off some moves. It doesn't spell future pro, but he got better, seized his opportunities, and now he has a really good career ahead of him.

I actually thought it was impressive...but then again, by grade seven I had long given up on soccer as my "skills" pretty much only translated to tackle football. Life is good when you have an early growth spurt and enjoy carnage.

7 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

I actually thought it was impressive...but then again, by grade seven I had long given up on soccer as my "skills" pretty much only translated to tackle football. Life is good when you have an early growth spurt and enjoy carnage.

You may be right. Most of the youth sports I'm exposed to are absolute wunderkids who are supposed to be the next generational talent or whatever, so perhaps I have no clue what a simply "very good" kid looks like.

There's levels to these kids- I played on my hometown's all-star baseball team for four years straight, was a U13 all-star at 8 years old, could play 8 positions and pitch when absolutely needed- in my last year, we played an exhibition game against the team that would end up representing canada at the LLWS, and they had an infield player toss a no-hitter against us with the only runner getting on base being me, who leaned hard into a pitch with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th so I could deny them the perfect game. There's insane levels to youth sports.

Agreed. Fun fact: he joined the Impact academy the year of that video. That's 8 years in their system if we include the last 2 at Valour. Where will he end up? Will he be, or is he already, a testament to the quality of their development system? I personally would argue he is.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

You may be right. Most of the youth sports I'm exposed to are absolute wunderkids who are supposed to be the next generational talent or whatever, so perhaps I have no clue what a simply "very good" kid looks like.

There's levels to these kids- I played on my hometown's all-star baseball team for four years straight, was a U13 all-star at 8 years old, could play 8 positions and pitch when absolutely needed- in my last year, we played an exhibition game against the team that would end up representing canada at the LLWS, and they had an infield player toss a no-hitter against us with the only runner getting on base being me, who leaned hard into a pitch with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th so I could deny them the perfect game. There's insane levels to youth sports.

Naw I'm probably wrong lol. 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I value the passion of a kid learning all that, which means you are spending all day with the ball. So that's what it means, and if a bunch of neighborhood kids are doing that in the park then it's a foundation, no question. But it's not indicative of any capacity to play the game.

I didn't see too many passes there. Nor speed. Nor a shot. Nor controls. Nor positional play. Nor team savvy. All of which the kid does seem to have now.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 12/14/2022 at 11:31 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was terrible at juggling the ball when I played, I could maybe do 20+ if I was lucky. My dribbling and ability to easily get by players was pretty impressive though, stuff like deking just came naturally to me, though always being one of the fastest players out there didn't hurt either (though this was at a house league level). I had teammates who could juggle the ball for a while but were pretty average as a player. The only exception for the most part were former rep players who were good at both.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...