Sean Rea

PegCityCam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jonovision said:

It must have been frustrating for Rea, even more frustrating than it was as a fan, seeing so many of the chances he created get squandered by poor finishing talent at Valour. I hope that Rea gets a fair chance at Montreal next season in the Mihailovic spot.

I don’t think he will step into the Mihailovic spot at least as a starter.  I suspect (and even suspect more based on the Athletic article I read earlier on how CF Montreal is built) that they will look to replace Mihailovic with someone in the league who they think has promise but is under appreciated by his club (Jayden Nelson?).  I also think Miljevic will get some time there.  

I see Rea making the squad and getting similar amounts of minutes as Choiniere gets now and that will likely be the odd start on the wing and possibly in Mihailovic’s role but mostly as a second half sub in those positions.  I think that would be a good first year in MLS for him.  Obviously, if he can pull a Kone and make a difference, it would be great.

Mihailovic’s roll is too important to take a flyer on a kid who hasn’t played at this level before.  That being said, the fact they he exists probably makes it more likely they go with the scenario I mentioned above rather than spend on a TAM or DP level player as a replacement as that would give them 3 relatively low cost options to fight it out for time in that position with the hope one of them works out by the second half of the season.

5 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I’m going to go in a different direction.

He’s beyond ready for MLS and will step in and take the spot, they will be tempted to promote and grow more youth after the transfer fees they receive this year.

I agree with you. The progression I see in this kid's game is remarkable. When I first saw him last year I dismissed him as a CPL lifer. When I saw him this year, I was amazed at his game.

There will be space at CFM. I fully expect him to get the chance in pre-season. I am excited to see how he looks up a level and playing with better players around him. So much to like about his game.

Out of the three u21 nominated for the CPL Award, he has been the most consistent in overall team play so I would be shocked if he didn't win it. Guess there is still time for Pacius to hit multiple hat tricks in the play offs! 

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

There will be space at CFM. I fully expect him to get the chance in pre-season. I am excited to see how he looks up a level and playing with better players around him. So much to like about his game.

Out of the three u21 nominated for the CPL Award, he has been the most consistent in overall team play so I would be shocked if he didn't win it. Guess there is still time for Pacius to hit multiple hat tricks in the play offs! 

The award is based off regular season play so I think it’s a lock for Rea. 

On 10/13/2022 at 6:31 PM, Sal333 said:

I agree with you. The progression I see in this kid's game is remarkable. When I first saw him last year I dismissed him as a CPL lifer. When I saw him this year, I was amazed at his game.

Going to have to disagree with you though I'm admittedly a Valour homer. At the very least by the end of last season it was crystal clear that Rea, at 19, had some of the best footwork, vision and set piece/crossing ability In the squad. He was dynamic and your eye just gravitated towards him whenever he had the ball. As far as the U21 award goes he's a year younger than the other candidates and imo he's the obvious choice.

9 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Going to have to disagree with you though I'm admittedly a Valour homer. At the very least by the end of last season it was crystal clear that Rea, at 19, had some of the best footwork, vision and set piece/crossing ability In the squad. He was dynamic and your eye just gravitated towards him whenever he had the ball. As far as the U21 award goes he's a year younger than the other candidates and imo he's the obvious choice.

His technical skills are obviously levels above the CPL. He does have physical limitations a la Bustos that might put a ceiling on his career, but he should easily be able to play and start in MLS within the next year.

I'm a York United fan and I would vote for Rea. I'm not sure where my bias is, because on one hand I watched every game that DeRo Jr. played, but on the other hand, Rea got a significant number of his goals against York United, so I was seeing those moments too.

19 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Sucks for Sean Rea. 

I could be wrong, but I believe most of Rea's utilization has been out wide for Valour. Not sure he would've been considered to play Mihailovic's postion. Moses Dyer was the one playing the Mihailovic role in Winnipeg.

• 1 month later...

Great little highlight package. On top of his varied skill set he's become a very cerebral player over this last year or so. Seems like the game has really slowed down for him. He's able to think a step ahead while not letting that affect his focus in the moment. I know there are a fair few doubters out there of his ability to make the step up to MLS but I honestly think he's not only capable but will do so in less time than many think. 

58 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Great little highlight package. On top of his varied skill set he's become a very cerebral player over this last year or so. Seems like the game has really slowed down for him. He's able to think a step ahead while not letting that affect his focus in the moment. I know there are a fair few doubters out there of his ability to make the step up to MLS but I honestly think he's not only capable but will do so in less time than many think. 

That trivela at 4:16 was some good shit