CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

3 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

So, who are we rooting for? Panama are more dangerous going forward, but I don’t want anything to do with Navas. Is he officially retired for CRC?

He's not yet but I don't think anyone is sure of his future. The next few months will probably tell us.

Realistically we want Costa Rica to advance because while they have talent their coach is ass and is actively undermining the talent on this team.

You have to be a fool to exile your best striking prospect since Wanchope in Manfred Ugalde because you set a 19-year old up to fail in a shitty system and then threw him under the bus to the media.

Edited by VinceA

4 hours ago, Metro said:

Happy it'll be Canada vs Panama. This generation's CR doesn't seem to be very gifted up front so the only way they can win is to grind the game down and low block you to death, so to speak. Panama is more willing to play a more ecopen game.

We also avoid Navas. Who skipped this window for some reason. But I assume would have shown up for the semis

14 hours ago, footballfreak said:

I think this concern is overblown to some extent. What CONCACAF wants is Mexico vs US period.  I don’t think they really care that much if it happens in the semi or the final. In some ways a semi meeting might be better for CONCACAF because it lets them double dip - they get the big US vs Mex game guaranteed, and then they also get to sell the final because it’s the final. It also guarantees at least some eyes on the third place game.

Thought of this after I posted and agree. Mex x USA in Semi's guarantees a sellout in the semi and guarantees one of them will be in the Final.

50 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Panama is the preferred opponent over Costa Rica. They will still have nightmares of Alphonso Davies most memorable goal running the entire length of BMO in World Cup Qualifying

It never gets old. I find something new every time. My current favourite is the young guy that gives up on soccer entirely in that moment and just starts cradling his phone like a baby blanket.

I hope there will be a good crowd in the stands for the Canada vs Panama semi final. It looks like they will sell tickets as a double header, which means most of the tickets will be bought up by USA and Mexico fans, so hopefully they show up early to watch our game as well. It would suck if it is like so many of our Gold Cup games where the first half the stadium is almost entirely empty and then fans start to file in during the 2nd half because they are coming for the following game.

Also with that in mind, anyone thinking of travelling, remember you may want to buy sooner rather than later, because this Canada vs Panama game will have the tickets selling like USA vs Mexico.

Very impressive of Panama to go to Argentina and all that intensity, the travel, playing competitive football, then walking into Costa Rica a couple days later and stealing a late win.

Also huge credit they kept Christiansen, they were unlucky and disappointed to not make Qatar, but have stuck with him and that gives them continuity. We're slight favourites but that's still a tough match 

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think Panama used 2 different rosters 

Really, had no idea? If that is the case quite impressive in fact, since they played Argentina really tough. I didn't watch, but the highlight reel shows few chances from open play, Messi has at least 5 free kicks. First hits the crossbar, the fourth hits the post and the rebound is put in m. 78. He then nails one, the fifth, as the game was ending. The entire match was Argentina getting free kicks 25 metres from goal.

Then the go into Costa Rica and beat them late, holding on with 10 men.

BTW, the goal-scorer Fajardo was red carded, he was a second half sub for Waterman, so he's out for the semi final. I suspect they'll give us the ball and defend tenaciously.

Good catch from @Alex, Panama really did play with virtually a different team vs. Argentina to not let it affect their Costa Rica game.

Panama vs. Costa Rica, starters:

Mosquera

Andrade - Escobar - Cummings

Blackman - Carrasquilla - MartĂ­nez - Murillo

Dias  - Waterman - Quintero

Welch, BĂĄrcenas, Fajardo, Davis and CĂłrdoba sub on.

Against Argentina:

Only Córdoba, Quintero and Murillo started of the former line-up, and none of the subs vs. Argentina figured in the Costa Rica game.