CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

28 minutes ago, king1010 said:

If its a draw then USA and mexico tied on points but US is higher seed due to goal diff. 

A draw is not good for us. Probably leads to USA in 3rd, Mexico in 4th, so they get to avoid each other (and one plays us) in semis. 

Edit: and USA take the lead.

Edited by archer21

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

A draw is not good for us. Probably leads to USA in 3rd, Mexico in 4th, so they get to avoid each other (and one plays us) in semis. 

Edit: and USA take the lead.

A US draw would be bad. Found myself for the first time ever cheering for USMNT. We wanted US to be clear 1st place. Then we need Canada to win then they go into semis vs PAn or CR. 

Someone check my work. I’m tired.

Given the following reasonable constraints:

• Panama wins by less than 5 or
  • Costa Rica wins by less than 5

I think that only leaves the following scenarios involving Canada:

1. CAN win = USA v Mexico, Canada v CRC/PAN group winner (2 and 3 seed may swap depending on CRC/PAN result, but neither can finish ahead of the US or behind Mexico)

2. CAN draw = USA vs Canada, CRC/PAN vs Mexico

3. CAN lose = burn it all down. I never liked this dumb game anyways.

I vote for door #1. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

To all those predicting a draw: are you insane?

You mean we're down 1-2 at home and need late heroics to tie and qualify?

Or we're up 2-1 and Honduras scores late to draw, and we hang on by the skin of our teeth?

That's the sort of evening you're hoping for?

I mean, predicting and hoping/cheering for are 2 very different things…

4 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Someone check my work. I’m tired.

Given the following reasonable constraints:

• Panama wins by less than 5 or
  • Costa Rica wins by less than 5

I think that only leaves the following scenarios involving Canada:

1. CAN win = USA v Mexico, Canada v CRC/PAN group winner (2 and 3 seed may swap depending on CRC/PAN result, but neither can finish ahead of the US or behind Mexico)

2. CAN draw = USA vs Canada, CRC/PAN vs Mexico

3. CAN lose = burn it all down. I never liked this dumb game anyways.

I vote for door #1. 

Looks correct, except Costa Rica can win by as much as they want and they would still just be ranked 2nd or 3rd, so no need for that second constraint.

Getting an early goal will make me feel a whole lot better.  Knowing they will need to open up and get 2 to advance will give us the time and space needed to exploit them and bang in a couple more.  
Can’t wait for the game. Happy we can set aside all the bureaucratic bullshit for at least a few hours and focus on our boys playing the beautiful game.  Heading down now for what I am expecting will be an epic evening!

Getting an early goal will make me feel a whole lot better.  Knowing they will need to open up and get 2 to advance will give us the time and space needed to exploit them and bang in a couple more.  
Can’t wait for the game. Happy we can set aside all the bureaucratic bullshit for at least a few hours and focus on our boys playing the beautiful game.  Heading down now for what I am expecting will be an epic evening!

Perhaps they are not motivated playing v Concacaf teams but Mexico have looked underwhelming over the past 2 yrs and the USA although having loads of players in top 3/4 leagues are not performing up to their potential....yet. This NL could be up for grabs among the final 4.  The only thing holding Canada back is a top level CB

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

What makes me nervous about tonight is CONCACAF wants a Mexico vs US final. 😪

I think this concern is overblown to some extent. What CONCACAF wants is Mexico vs US period.  I don’t think they really care that much if it happens in the semi or the final. In some ways a semi meeting might be better for CONCACAF because it lets them double dip - they get the big US vs Mex game guaranteed, and then they also get to sell the final because it’s the final. It also guarantees at least some eyes on the third place game.

1 hour ago, footballfreak said:

I think this concern is overblown to some extent. What CONCACAF wants is Mexico vs US period.  I don’t think they really care that much if it happens in the semi or the final. In some ways a semi meeting might be better for CONCACAF because it lets them double dip - they get the big US vs Mex game guaranteed, and then they also get to sell the final because it’s the final. It also guarantees at least some eyes on the third place game.

Well they aren't getting Mex vs USA. Montagliani is concacaf