CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

25 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Man our federation is such trash!

I have been following the nat team since the gold cup win, and closely since the wc cycle that ended with the Honduras debacle. 

Has there ever been a period before when our federation has not been trash? Like, organized or somewhat transparent? 

The fact that we didn't even have a January camp irks me too.

These bastards are riding off the coattails of our World Cup qualification but it doesn't seem like anything has changed.

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

The fact that we didn't even have a January camp irks me too.

These bastards are riding off the coattails of our World Cup qualification but it doesn't seem like anything has changed.

Pretty annoyed listening to Northern Futbols last podcast and they were defending the federation and that decision. Some of the only soccer media that I have any respect for.

How many Poutine camps have we had since herdman took over..one?  I dont think he rates them, and bringing in new guys, expanding the pool is secondary to looking after the core group for him.   Which is understandable towards the end of a cycle etc, but if they wanted to build on momentum, herdman et al dropped the ball.  

56 minutes ago, Floortom said:

It seems like any momentum / goodwill from the World Cup has been squandered already. As opposed to building on it, seems like they just decided to sit on their “laurels”.

If things were handled properly by the CSA starting from the time Canada qualified to up until even now that Honduran game would be an easy sellout at BMO, however, with all the crap that happened before the World Cup , the canceled games , the Iran debacle, the players dispute and so on and now with no camps scheduled until who knows when I’ll be surprised if the stadium is even half full. Yes Canada qualified for the World Cup but has anything really changed ? 

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How many Poutine camps have we had since herdman took over..one?  I dont think he rates them, and bringing in new guys, expanding the pool is secondary to looking after the core group for him.   Which is understandable towards the end of a cycle etc, but if they wanted to build on momentum, herdman et al dropped the ball.  

You are right. 2020 was the only one.

I still think its lame.

9 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

If things were handled properly by the CSA starting from the time Canada qualified to up until even now that Honduran game would be an easy sellout at BMO, however, with all the crap that happened before the World Cup , the canceled games , the Iran debacle, the players dispute and so on and now with no camps scheduled until who knows when I’ll be surprised if the stadium is even half full. Yes Canada qualified for the World Cup but has anything really changed ? 

really curious to see what the turnout will be. Last time we played Honduras at BMO in September 2021 there was a solid Honduras contingent but we still had COVID restrictions in effect so hard to tell what the turnout would have been in normal circumstances.

I would agree this almost certainly won’t be a sell out, but hopefully we get strong Canada support and can pull over 20k. That would be a good showing and indicate good / continued momentum in the program. Less then that would suck as it would almost be like the World Cup never happened.

Edited by Floortom

If the weather is similar to last year's Jamaica WCQ, 20k won't be there. 

Post World Cup gains in Canada are incremental in nature rather than generating momentum. A survey done after the group stage showed about net 15% of respondents now have more interest in Canada's men national team. Majority said no change while a few decreased their interest level.

US got 11k last night in LA.  Because the USSF tends to focus on revenue maximization, high ticket prices are often blamed for any low attendance. But lowest priced tickets of US$25 were cheaper than LAFC matches.

So, you can say the momentum didn't continue for the USSF. But any World Cup bump isn't exclusive to the national team as Sunday's Premier League match between Arsenal & Man United was the most watched PL match in US history. It was also the most streamed PL match that was also available on US linear tv.

1 minute ago, red card said:

If the weather is similar to last year's Jamaica WCQ, 20k won't be there. 

Post World Cup gains in Canada are incremental in nature rather than generating momentum. A survey done after the group stage showed about net 15% of respondents now have more interest in Canada's men national team. Majority said no change while a few decreased their interest level.

US got 11k last night in LA.  Because the USSF tends to focus on revenue maximization, high ticket prices are often blamed for any low attendance. But lowest priced tickets of US$25 were cheaper than LAFC matches.

So, you can say the momentum didn't continue for the USSF. But any World Cup bump isn't exclusive to the national team as Sunday's Premier League match between Arsenal & Man United was the most watched PL match in US history. It was also the most streamed PL match that was also available on US linear tv.

Probably mostly true but the US match last nightswas a friendly with a B/C squad. 

there were 17,000 in attendance at our last BMO Nations League match. The rival (US) was surely more important and high profile than Honduras but I would think the success of the program would more than offset any loss in interest from that downgrade. Also, Honduras will clearly bring more support than the US did (who only had a tiny contingent that evening).

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Probably mostly true but the US match last nightswas a friendly with a B/C squad. 

there were 17,000 in attendance at our last BMO Nations League match. The rival (US) was surely more important and high profile than Honduras but I would think the success of the program would more than offset any loss in interest from that downgrade. Also, Honduras will clearly bring more support than the US did (who only had a tiny contingent that evening).

The last run on tickets for this match will come in the week leading up to the match when the casual ticket buyer sees the weather report. 

It’s a Tuesday in a competition most people don’t know about.  Playing the US in it is one thing, Honduras is something else.  If it draws anywhere close to 20,000, I’d be thrilled.  If the weather is crappy, it’ll be much less.  And not sure how many out of towners will come in unlike the Jamaica game.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:44 AM, JamboAl said:

It’s a Tuesday in a competition most people don’t know about.  Playing the US in it is one thing, Honduras is something else.  If it draws anywhere close to 20,000, I’d be thrilled.  If the weather is crappy, it’ll be much less.  And not sure how many out of towners will come in unlike the Jamaica game.

Yeah the Tuesday game definitely makes it a lot more difficult. I’m still trying to find a way to Toronto for the match but it’s tough to find someone that’s willing to take a day (or 2) off work and make a 4 hour drive, plus a hotel. If it was a Saturday game, I’d be there 100%, but Tuesday makes it much more difficult for out of towners. If it was WCQ it would be a much easier sell to get someone to make arrangements and come with me. Do we have a time for the game yet? And is it officially at BMO? Thought I saw that it was.

22 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

So on yesterdays Northern Futbol podcast, the guys were discussing about how this current nations league wouldn't determine which teams will qualify to the 2024 Copa America.

I have a really hard time believing we will have time to squeeze in another nations league between this September and next June. 

Yea I don't really understand that either

2 hours ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

So on yesterdays Northern Futbol podcast, the guys were discussing about how this current nations league wouldn't determine which teams will qualify to the 2024 Copa America.

I have a really hard time believing we will have time to squeeze in another nations league between this September and next June. 

I think you could if you just used it as a qualifer and didn't bother with the playoffs. I mean considering there would be a Copa America a few months away who would give a toss about a final 4 or whatever 

3 groups of 3. Top 2 in each make up the Copa America. Bob's your uncle 

4 hours ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

No need to squeeze the whole thing, just to finish the first round and two one-off games to decide entry five and six in the Copa America.

29 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yup.

September + October + November with the Copa America playoffs &/or the "Final Four" in March 2024.

Yeah, this is essentially what the first edition was like, except there was a giant COVID-sized hole after the November 2019 games so the next/final games ended up being June 2021. The last one was spread out a bit as well because there was a World Cup to be played in between. This one should be uninterrupted, so it can be done more promptly.

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yup.

September + October + November with the Copa America playoffs &/or the "Final Four" in March 2024.

Potentially this is when Jebbison commits, since UEFA U-21 championships are played in the summer, meaning there's no more EURO ball for him left. At that point, he's either committing to the Canada senior team, or waiting on the English senior team. 

2023 will be very busy and it only takes one injury to just one of David, Larin, Cavallini or Ugbo for us to be short a striker. Right now, next man up is Akinola, but Jebbison should be competing for that 5th spot, at minumum, if not the 4th or 3rd spots in the depth chart. 

Edit - I may be wrong on that, actually. Seems like players born on or after Jan 1 2000 are eligible for this edition, so wouldn't that mean players born on or after Jan 1 2002 are eligible for the next tournament (in which case Jebbison is eligible)? Feels wrong because that would mean Davies (22) and David (23) would be eligible for the U-21s if they were English, which seems wrong. Maybe I am missing something though? 

I think players have to be U-21 when the qualifying process begins, not when the tournament is played, so calling it a U21 tournament is kind of misleading. More importantly though, it seems to me that Jebbison joining Canada could be delayed until 2025, since UEFA 2025 U21 qualifying would start in summer 2023, since 2023 qualifying started in 2021.

Am I getting this right, or is my coffee not strong enough this morning? 

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think players have to be U-21 when the qualifying process begins, not when the tournament is played, so calling it a U21 tournament is kind of misleading.

I feel like this has been mentioned on these boards a few times in the past. Every time I hear this mentioned it annoys me that they do it this way. If they want an under 23 tournament just call it U-23 instead of U-21!