2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

55 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Gotta wonder,  with Can/Mex/USA all hosting the WC and presumably getting guaranteed spots, why bother having two confederations in the Americas for 2026 WCQ?  Can/Mex/US cover probably 95-99% of the land mass that makes up North America and everybody else is geographically closer to South America anyways.   You could just take those 6.33 and 6.66 spots and merge the WCQ into one confederation (the Americas) for 13 even spots.  Then you could leave the the IC playoff for the remaining three confederations (i.e..: three teams for one spot) 

First off, I think it would be 10 spots, not 13, remaining if Can/Mex/US get guaranteed spots (notice it adds up to 48, not 45 + 3 hosts). Secondly the only benefit to your suggestion would go to CONMEBOL because they could probably poach some CONCACAF spots that way. It would add travel (though not a ton) to teams from both confederations, and like I mentioned, CONCACAF would end up with fewer teams in a CONCACAF hosted World Cup than they would have in the 2030 World Cup (assuming they went back to a North/South America split qualifying).

Expanding this tournament to 48 teams has been said to be about letting more countries participate, but given the rotation of teams since 98, I think that's silly. I wonder how much of the expansion is down to ensuring the big teams don't miss. 

Off the top of my head, Italy (twice!), Netherlands, USA have all failed to qualify. Surely others too that would be really hard pressed to fail with so many qualifying.  To me, it feels like they're making sure that the biggest teams are saved from failing. 

15 minutes ago, RJB said:

Expanding this tournament to 48 teams has been said to be about letting more countries participate, but given the rotation of teams since 98, I think that's silly. I wonder how much of the expansion is down to ensuring the big teams don't miss. 

Off the top of my head, Italy (twice!), Netherlands, USA have all failed to qualify. Surely others too that would be really hard pressed to fail with so many qualifying.  To me, it feels like they're making sure that the biggest teams are saved from failing. 

Gaining only 3 extra spots, big Euro nations will always be in some danger of missing out… just a little less so now.  The way I see it, the regions that really benefit from expansion are the Asian Arab nations and Central American countries (so from a money/profit perspective, I’m not sure how much FIFA thought this through).  
Using the most recent AFC qualifier, we’d have Australia, SKorea, Japan, Iran, S.Arabia, Qatar, UAE, Oman &  Iraq as the Top 9.  in Concacaf, we could just use our Octagonal participants as our Top 8.

45 minutes ago, RJB said:

It’s about making sure the biggest soccer markets in the world are continuously represented, regardless of how good they are, I think. Beyond the ones you mention, a team like Nigeria, needs to be ensured a spot in the World Cup- it’s a soccer nation who is projected to have one of the largest world populations in the next 30 years. They usually qualify, but you need to guarantee it. China had a bad qualifying tournament this year, but barely missed out in 2018- you obviously want them to get represented too. Egypt barely missed out this year too, they have a massive population. Then you add in the US, and all of a sudden, you’re guaranteeing about 2 billion more soccer fans are now represented at the World Cup.

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It’s about making sure the biggest soccer markets in the world are continuously represented, regardless of how good they are, I think. Beyond the ones you mention, a team like Nigeria, needs to be ensured a spot in the World Cup- it’s a soccer nation who is projected to have one of the largest world populations in the next 30 years. They usually qualify, but you need to guarantee it. China had a bad qualifying tournament this year, but barely missed out in 2018- you obviously want them to get represented too. Egypt barely missed out this year too, they have a massive population. Then you add in the US, and all of a sudden, you’re guaranteeing about 2 billion more soccer fans are now represented at the World Cup.

I appreciate what you are saying, but it's not anything like the automatic spots for the World Rugby Cup, which are locks and create a double standard. You still have to qualify. 

The new formula creates an incentive for countries who deemed it almost impossible, that 2nd tier. Perhaps Concacaf has the biggest fall off because of populations, but still, those Surinames, Haitis and Guatemalas are going after the Octagonal bunch. Dominican Republic just qualified for the Olympics. I'll think we'll still get surprises. Perhaps in Africa most likely, but also in UEFA, where depending on a qualifying group, Slovakia, Ireland, Finland could push a Netherlands or Portugal out on a good day. 

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I appreciate what you are saying, but it's not anything like the automatic spots for the World Rugby Cup, which are locks and create a double standard. You still have to qualify. 

The new formula creates an incentive for countries who deemed it almost impossible, that 2nd tier. Perhaps Concacaf has the biggest fall off because of populations, but still, those Surinames, Haitis and Guatemalas are going after the Octagonal bunch. Dominican Republic just qualified for the Olympics. I'll think we'll still get surprises. Perhaps in Africa most likely, but also in UEFA, where depending on a qualifying group, Slovakia, Ireland, Finland could push a Netherlands or Portugal out on a good day. 

Yeah I don't mean automatic locks, but in a 48 team tournament, teams like Egypt, Nigeria, the US, should pretty much make it every year, and China should at least come close, if not qualify. They're as automatic spots as Italy's is, ie, they should make it, but there are always going to be those bad qualifying tournaments like theirs this year, the US' in 2018, etc. Central american countries are other good markets to invest in. I know DR has stepped it up in years passed, they could be the "next Canada"- ie a team that at their best could threaten Mexico and US.

https://ontarioconstructionreport.com/toronto-city-council-approves-funding-agreements-for-fifa-world-cup-2026/

There is a picture here of how BMO might look like and it is disgusting. I hope MLSE steps up and they build something more permanent. 

Alos, I am not shure how legit this is. But im assuming they are going for a ghetto chik look. I do not like this. 

Edited by Vasi

12 hours ago, RJB said:

Expanding this tournament to 48 teams has been said to be about letting more countries participate, but given the rotation of teams since 98, I think that's silly.

Lots of little comments recently getting me curious and sending me down little rabbit holes.

In the 32 team era of the World Cup (1998-2022 inclusive) this is how many unique teams have made it to the World Cup.

AFC - 8 (including Australia and also including the only team counted that never made it through qualification, Qatar)
CAF - 12
CONCACAF - 8
CONMEBOL - 8
UEFA - 32
OFC - 2 (also including Australia)

That's a total of 69 different countries, not double counting Australia. However, it does count Yugoslavia as well as the countries it split into, in particular including "Serbia and Montenegro" and "Serbia" as different countries.

I'm surprised that AFC doesn't have more unique teams than CONCACAF, and I would have guessed that CAF would be further ahead than they are with what I perceive to be a deeper set of teams and a more chaotic qualifying process (and of course 5 full spots compared to 4.5 for AFC and 3.5 for CONCACAF). But again, I don't actually follow CAF so what do I know.

P.S. I should also mention UEFA. I wouldn't have guessed they have had that many different teams qualify in this time period. I probably would have guessed about 25.

Edited by Kent
Added the P.S.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

P.P.S. According to this Sporcle quiz, there have been 84 teams all time to make it to the World Cup. It doesn't include 2022, so I think that just excludes Qatar if I am not mistaken, so it will be 85 by the end of the year (give or take redundant countries, like Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Czecheslovakia).

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Bumble/worldcupteams

Missed the Dutch East Indies and Zaire!

I've argued before that the rotation of teams in the 32 tournament era has been more than sufficient to include deserving nations.  What's most interesting in those numbers is that very few teams have qualified for each tournament.  I think that the rotation in each confederation has been excellent. 

Perhaps a 32 team tournament with a more involved Inter-Continental Playoff could have balanced things out better.  Two teams from each confederation gives you a tournament with 12 teams.  That's a pretty good practice run for the host nation, and also gives lots of second chances.

10 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Missed the Dutch East Indies and Zaire!

If that's all you missed that's really impressive!

Despite just having done all this 1998-2022 research right before I missed 6, including those 2. I thought of Zaire as I was typing out some countries but I didn't think they had made it. Same with UAE. The others I just couldn't come up with even though I knew they had made it. I never would have come up with Dutch East Indies.

On 8/16/2022 at 8:51 PM, Kent said:

P.P.S. According to this Sporcle quiz, there have been 84 teams all time to make it to the World Cup. It doesn't include 2022, so I think that just excludes Qatar if I am not mistaken, so it will be 85 by the end of the year (give or take redundant countries, like Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Czecheslovakia).

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Bumble/worldcupteams

That was fun, I got them all! Thanks for the hint about redundant countires, one of my last ones was yugoslavia. It gives you Dutch East Indies if you guess Indonesia, but a true fan wouldn't need to do that!

Edited by Scottie

On 8/24/2022 at 1:20 PM, Free kick said:

Mexico city is also pushing hard to host to final.   

They won't get it. The original bid has always included that USA gets every game from the quarter finals on. USA has only hosted 1 previous World Cup and Mexico has hosted 2. They won't give up the final. Remember this isn't a 3 country joint bid, this is USA... and friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything solidified... 

Is there anything confirmed regarding World Cup jerseys? I've seen it stated since March that we aren't getting anything new, but I don't know if that is confirmed or not? 

I'd go ahead and buy a jersey now if I knew for sure? Are we sticking with our qualification jersey?