2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'll have to take a look. I went to Cap College for a few courses and lived in Lynn Valley for a spell, but don't know those facilities.

I also thought you could set up at Ambleside, but again there's no secure barriers, and then they might prefer to avoid bridge traffic from the North Shore. 

In Vancouver i think they may adapt Connaught Park. 

Inter-River is built on top of the old landfill which closed in 1988. The fields are actually quite nice compared to the crap City of Vancouver fields. Ambleside would be great, but that park is so busy in the summer, I can't see them locking it down.

Just finished reading about how we just threw out 100 million dollars worth of stale dated vaccines. Who could have predicted such a thing

i wonder if 100 million could have been used to refurbish the Big O? I guess we'll never know. We wouldn't want to waist money on a stadium 

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

A better idea.  Why don’t we ask the thread starter to rename this thread instead

@VinceA

Please rename this topic to:

2026 World Cup - News, Updates and Discussions

How can I do that? I don't see an edit button on the topic name.

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions
5 hours ago, VinceA said:

nvm i figured it out lmao

WTF would you do that?!??! A new topic was already created and changing the name makes no sense to someone coming to the forum for the first time.

Why bother having different topics at all if you are just gonna change the title repeatedly and allow people to wander off topic?!?

19 hours ago, ted said:

WTF would you do that?!??! A new topic was already created and changing the name makes no sense to someone coming to the forum for the first time.

Why bother having different topics at all if you are just gonna change the title repeatedly and allow people to wander off topic?!?

Sorry Ted!  Probably my fault.   you created your new thread, before i came up with the idea of re naming this thread

Edited by Free kick

• 2 weeks later...

The cost to expand seating at BMO will only be 25 Mill.  But it wont be downsview for the training facilities, as i thought.  It will be Centennial and Sunnybrook. Odd selection

https://www.cp24.com/news/inflation-drives-toronto-2026-fifa-world-cup-cost-estimate-up-to-300-million-1.5974726

quote:”The spending includes $15 million to upgrade sports fields at Sunnybrook and Centennial parks for guest team training purposes, and $25 million to increase capacity at BMO Field.”

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The cost to expand seating at BMO will only be 25 Mill.  But it wont be downsview for the training facilities, as i thought.  It will be Centennial and Sunnybrook. Odd selection

https://www.cp24.com/news/inflation-drives-toronto-2026-fifa-world-cup-cost-estimate-up-to-300-million-1.5974726

quote:”The spending includes $15 million to upgrade sports fields at Sunnybrook and Centennial parks for guest team training purposes, and $25 million to increase capacity at BMO Field.”

Wow enforcing security at Sunnybrook is going to be a challenge. Plus access to the playing fields at the upper level means going through the entire park from Leslie. It's great that there will be an investment in the soccer fields there, which will benefit all the leagues that currently use the facilities. I just don't know how they will limit public access  re spectators etc. Sunnybrook links to Edwards Gardens and Serena Gundy and is heavily used in the summer months by various sports teams as well as the general public. 

39 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I like it. It means more facilities around the city will get upgrades.

Downsview will always be close to state-of-the-art because TFC will keep it that way, but it's a private facility that only TFC (and the national teams, sometimes) can use, so having some money poured into public facilities is a positive.

4 hours ago, RS said:

I like it. It means more facilities around the city will get upgrades.

Downsview will always be close to state-of-the-art because TFC will keep it that way, but it's a private facility that only TFC (and the national teams, sometimes) can use, so having some money poured into public facilities is a positive.

It doesn't loo like they'll do any legacy investment in Vancouver, in comparison. They can use the Whitecaps facilities, equivalent to what TFC has at Downsview, then they'll use a public park, fix a few fields and cordon it off. 

I hope I'm wrong, Vancouver has amazing vast green parks with enough space for three full-sized pitches in one, and many are just underused green fetishes. I just drove around Gordon Park, the potential is crazy.

Imagine the parks board doing enough legacy investment to give them a facility where visiting pro teams would pay to train. Toronto seems to be doing this with a broader vision. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Wonder what this means for those Vaughan and Woodbine facilities 

Good point.  Why didnt they use those facilities?  I'd be curious to know.    1)They are more private 2) They already have a higher order vocation.  For soccer anyways.  3) They are already used by the CSA or a pro club

Then what about Nottawasaga Inn?  The MNT has practiced up there.  

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Good point.  Why didnt they use those facilities?  I'd be curious to know.    1)They are more private 2) They already have a higher order vocation.  For soccer anyways.  3) They are already used by the CSA or a pro club

Then what about Nottawasaga Inn?  The MNT has practiced up there.  

Apparently Germany used Nottawasaga in 1994

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Toronto seems to be doing this with a broader vision.

That Toronto, with its useless council and fence-sitting mayor, can have a "broader vision" than any city is astounding to me.

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

Then what about Nottawasaga Inn?

With 48 teams looking for training facilities, I'm sure places like Nottawasaga will be able to attract a team looking to be secluded for a while.

The WNT and MNT both stopped using Nottawasaga as their training base for games in Toronto when Herdman took over each respective team. I remember the WNT using Downsview shortly after it opened in 2012 (while Herdman was in charge) and the men alternating between Nottawasaga and Downsview until he took over that program.

Herdman seems to prefer to exclusively use the local pro teams' training facilities in whichever city the MNT is playing in (and Heiner-Møller/Priestman continued Herdman's practice with the WNT after he moved on).

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Apparently Germany used Nottawasaga in 1994

Yes, they did.  If I recall correctly, security involved a single rope around the field.  

Beautiful pitch, home field for Alliston United.  Ironically, also where I tore my ACL in a non-contact injury (might have been because I came back from University in the shape of a beer keg).

4 hours ago, RS said:

That Toronto, with its useless council and fence-sitting mayor, can have a "broader vision" than any city is astounding to me.

But the comparison with Vancouver is dire: there is absolutely no evidence that Vancouver will build or consolidate anything of any permanent nature in relation to the World Cup. Nothing is planned at all. There is no World Cup legacy in the works.

The attitude is extremely poor and narrow-minded, and unless someone pipes up about the lazy mentality nothing will change. 

Contrast that with what happened during the Olympics and it is frankly surprising. 

22 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...there is absolutely no evidence that Vancouver will build or consolidate anything of any permanent nature in relation to the World Cup. Nothing is planned at all. There is no World Cup legacy in the works.

So, just out of curiosity, what could they build? They already have an adequate stadium, training facilities and hotels. What else gets built for World Cups?

Olympics build multiple sporting facilities in one city, athlete housing, and often improved transit infrastructure because far more athletes and spectators are concentrated in a smaller area.