Lowell Wright

Bdog

I'm too young to have watched Gretzky but the way I look at it. Even though the 80s were a high scoring era, how come no one else (other than Lemieux) even came close to his numbers? https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/most-points-in-one-season-by-nhl-players.html  Lemieux had a couple of better years in the late 80s but in the mid 80s no one was even close to his numbers. In 1984, the gap between him and Coffey (2nd in points) was 79 points lol, he was definitely far better than everyone in his era. Obviously he won't put up those numbers if he played now but as mentioned, he'd still an elite player if he was born in the 90s and was in the league now. 

On the subject of Lowell, I think another season at York wouldn't hurt. He's clearly York's best striker despite mostly making sub appearances as of late, if he's back next season and starting every game I could see him challenging for the golden boot.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Not sure this is the best path for him.

also adds to the notion that MLS pro is above CPL…

How is that?? It isnt independent teams signing these CPLers.  Its an MLS organization with the obvious plan of giving the kid a run with their coaches under their supervision and if he is up to snuff, bring him into the MLS squad.  

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How is that?? It isnt independent teams signing these CPLers.  Its an MLS organization with the obvious plan of giving the kid a run with their coaches under their supervision and if he is up to snuff, bring him into the MLS squad.  

Vancouver doesn’t even use their own academy guys….

Ongaro and Wright up top for whitecaps reserves. Nice. 

This is most likely Ricketts last year, wouldn't be surprised to see Cavs going to Europe. Wright likely sees a pathway like ongaro did. Both could even see minutes this season if there are injuries. 

I don't think it reflects badly on the cpl at all. They are creating players that clubs in better leagues want. It's a different path and not much different to Pepple likely playing in Luton reserves which everyone is excited about.

It's another route for Canadians to grow and I like the relationship that is growing between MLS clubs and the CPL. We are a good 5-10 years  at least, away from the league drawing consistent larger crowds and growing the cap space and standard to keep players like this longer. 

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Wright is not ready for MLS yet. Strange decision. Ongaro is a more complete player, with perhaps a lower ceiling  Yet Ongaro always seems to score...

Could be, but after tonight's Voyageurs Cup final, it's clear neither are the player the Caps need for the first team. So that blocks their path too. 

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could be, but after tonight's Voyageurs Cup final, it's clear neither are the player the Caps need for the first team. So that blocks their path too. 

Why do you say that? Ricketts is really the only striker option off the bench, and they're playing two strikers a lot of the time

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Why do you say that? Ricketts is really the only striker option off the bench, and they're playing two strikers a lot of the time

Because we already have heavy bodies who can hold down defenders, hold up the ball or are good in the air.

But we have no speed and no dribbling up top, no finesse play.

Last night we were throwing long balls up to strikers who couldn't reach them the entire 2nd half. With Wright and Ongaro we're replacing that, not complementing it. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Because we already have heavy bodies who can hold down defenders, hold up the ball or are good in the air.

Last night we were throwing long balls up to strikers who couldn't reach them the entire 2nd half. With Wright and Ongaro we're replacing that, not complementing it. 

Second this.  Wright or Ongaro for that matter don't add anything unique or different to what's already there.  Only really effective with good service from wingbacks or poaching in the 18.  There's too much of a gap/disconnect between the types of CM's/AM's we have and the ST's.  Different profiles are needed to make this team more of a threat in the build up and on the counter.  

Lowell actually has really underrated skill for a player his size, he might not go on runs where he dribbles through tons of guys but he can create for himself imo. He's actually pretty intriguing, he's more than just a strong player with decent finishing.

Too bad York isn't the most exciting offensively this year and he hasn't been able to get going, but I still think he's one of the CPL's best prospects.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:37 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ricketts has always had pace and a good leap but no finesse and no hold up play.  He'll pop some goals here and there.

If either of these guys makes the first team, that would be great because I never saw the Caps as acquiring guys from CPL, only supplying that league.  Their tendency is to get squad guy Cancon from other leagues abroad.

Edited by BearcatSA

I really like Wright, I'll miss watching him play for York if this deal goes through, but I'm happy for him. I don't think he has a ton of speed or hustle, but he has 2 cannons for legs, can dribble very well in tight spaces, and has been showing this year that he can pick out a pass as well. I hope he does well in Vancouver and can make it onto the first team.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He's basically competing with Ongaro for a 1st team look, no? Will both of these guys get promoted next season? Hard to imagine. Aren't they possibly blocking each other's path?

Depends. White has cooled off a bit they could look to flip him. We also don't know what Cavallini's future looks like as even though he's back on form he could still be looking at other options. Ricketts role gets reduced every season as well. Wright in particular is a long-term play most likely.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

He's basically competing with Ongaro for a 1st team look, no? Will both of these guys get promoted next season? Hard to imagine. Aren't they possibly blocking each other's path?

Competition is good but I see Ongaro and Wright as different types of strikers and there is definitely a chance for both to move up. Cavallini's stock is in an upward trend again and Ricketts is unlikely to sign again (said that last year and maybe before that though lol).

They could certainly play together as Wright and De-Ro did for York. It's up to them both to prove themselves though. 

I know we haven’t see a big super-success from CPL yet but man this has to be a good sign for the league.  Multiple promising young guys being scooped up by MLS teams or European teams as solid youth prospects.   You don’t have to hit the jackpot every time for this to be a really good advert for the league - and a good incentive for young players to view it as a solid pathway to the higher tiers of pro footy.  Good times.  I know the league still needs to secure enough revenue to ensure sustainability, but this metric is starting to look pretty favourable.