Lowell Wright

Bdog

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Same question, but I believe the Juvenil A is one of the best youth leagues world wide. 

I’m curious to know how this determined?

UEFA Youth league performance? Like what’s the basis? First team graduates/appearances what?

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

I’m curious to know how this determined?

UEFA Youth league performance? Like what’s the basis? First team graduates/appearances what?

I think caliber of play youth wise.

let’s get back on track here though.

reality is some players grow, and evolve and others don’t. I think Wright is likely above youth football, which is very good for a 17 year old. Pepple wasn’t, let’s see where Lowell is at the end of the year, my guess is he could be a big transfer in terms of where he goes, maybe even a record fee. (Price wise I think 200k is the record)

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Same question, but I believe the Juvenil A is one of the best youth leagues world wide. 

Take the seven editions of Youth League, the UEFA U-19 CL, since 2014 (cancelled this year), Barça has won 2, Real Madrid is defending champion. Okay, the players change yearly. But he played on a team that got a result against the defending best u-19 in Europe.

I think the development quality is going to be a bit better than scrub minutes with Cavalry. Shame it could end here, after such a short stiint.

But to elaborate on development: there is no development plan or concept in CPL. None at all. All they say is give the kids minutes.

The rule is construed so soft

, however, that we have teams that have already fulfilled those minutes after 14% of the season has been played.

But minutes is not development. Development also has to involve developing, in all respects, not just hey, go out there against adults and help us get a result. Now I don't deny it is good for the kids, and we are going to see results in terms of some players moving on. But there is no academy system, no committment to local youth, no model of play, system, overreaching style, or development league or academy where 23 kids of 17 or 18 can work on skill sets and tactics and prep for a pro career. Some of these kids have only had that at a lowish level, almost none have been in a pro academy environment (except a few foreigners). 

I accept that within a few years they'll start to think about their own academies. 

19 hours ago, Aird25 said:

You talk as if team selection is based solely on developing the youngest player on the squad

I was focusing more on development, yes, but I could have been more generic and said "how is that supposed to yield results" to make my point. He is an attacking player that hasn't scored or assisted a professional goal. If you need a goal in the last 10 minutes, is that really the guy you look to? Did they concede a late goal in order to need a goal in the last 10 minutes 14ish times? Or did they ever need a goal when there were 20, 25, or 30 minutes down? That would be a better opportunity to get something out of a young player I would think.

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But minutes is not development. Development also has to involve developing, in all respects, not just hey, go out there against adults and help us get a result. Now I don't deny it is good for the kids, and we are going to see results in terms of some players moving on. But there is no academy system, no committment to local youth, no model of play, system, overreaching style, or development league or academy where 23 kids of 17 or 18 can work on skill sets and tactics and prep for a pro career. Some of these kids have only had that at a lowish level, almost none have been in a pro academy environment (except a few foreigners). 

I accept that within a few years they'll start to think about their own academies. 

We're about ten to fifteen years before anything fully fleshed out like that is formed across the league, if at all to that extent, and maybe it doesn't even have to be that elaborate. Right now, I'd say we're more like the Czech Republic, it all depends on the kids and their inner drive, how motivated they are. Sometimes, there will be dark ages, which has mostly been the case for us, but, sometimes there will be a golden generation, think 1996-2004 for the aforementioned country. I think from here on out, we should have more golden generations as our professional infrastructure continues to develop in the form of further CPL expansion. 

Edited by Macksam

First time watching him today and wow, i can't believe there's not more hype around here for Wright. Nothing flashy today but his defensive positioning is David-esk and he shows impressive natural strength and balance to shoulder roll defenders like Larin does. Add well timed runs and all kinds of other superior technical ability. And he's a 2003..! Assuming he's got the right attitude I'd say he's got what it takes to be a top top prospect for us in short order. Hopefully we don't have to wait for a European transfer rumour before appreciating some of these exciting young CPL kids more :)

35 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Nothing flashy today 

I missed the beginning of the game but he actually pulled off some pretty incredible moves to get past a few defenders in a tight space in the first half. I didn’t realize he has as much skill as he does. 

I’m hoping he’s the first big prospect the CPL has. It would be great for the league to have one so early on. 

3 hours ago, Bdog said:

I missed the beginning of the game but he actually pulled off some pretty incredible moves to get past a few defenders in a tight space in the first half. I didn’t realize he has as much skill as he does. 

I’m hoping he’s the first big prospect the CPL has. It would be great for the league to have one so early on. 

York sees him as such and teams are watching Abzi according to McNabb so surely Wright has caught some eyes.

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I’d imagine he’s gone at seasons end, don’t think an 18 year old with 6 pro goals isn’t going to be snatched up by a euro team.

I thought he had a few bright spots in the game against TFC.  One of the very few on York that I thought looked decent.  He showed some real glimpses of skill.  Ingham of course was probably York\s best player understandably.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Bags of potential but still very raw. Would benefit from a move to Europe if it's somewhere he will be developed. Wouldn't moan at another year in the cpl though.

Only if it’s the right situation. Feel like Pepple lost a year of development for seeking European pastures.