Lowell Wright

Bdog

10 hours ago, Shway said:

Okay I’ll say it again....”WE NEED YOUTH CAMPS”

Amen. 

Yearly u23 fixtures (preferably a concacaf (or wider) tournament inbetween Olympics.

More younger age level get togethers/friendlies. You can't blame the clutch of youngsters eligible for Canada immersing themselves in other programs like portugal/England/USA etc. When we offer next to nothing. 

This generation has presented us with a HUGE opportunity to build and solidify Canadas future in the fifa top 50. We have to build structures beneath the full men's/women's teams that find and retain players. Obviously it's $$$ but that's where the world cup money should go and more.

5 goals and 3 assists. As others have said, he has a high ceiling. He's got good feet, he's a big boy, and he can pound that ball. As much as I like Abzi and Ferrari, Wright has been the name I look for when I see the starting lineup/bench every game.

I don't know if it's time for him to find another league or not, I wouldn't mind at all seeing him in CPL again next year. He hasn't been a 90 minute player. He's not yet "too good" for CPL so I think he can still improve with York United, but whether he could improve faster somewhere else is the question.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

5 goals and 3 assists. As others have said, he has a high ceiling. He's got good feet, he's a big boy, and he can pound that ball. As much as I like Abzi and Ferrari, Wright has been the name I look for when I see the starting lineup/bench every game.

I don't know if it's time for him to find another league or not, I wouldn't mind at all seeing him in CPL again next year. He hasn't been a 90 minute player. He's not yet "too good" for CPL so I think he can still improve with York United, but whether he could improve faster somewhere else is the question.

Yeah, it seems like someone ready for the next step should be consistently dominating CPL.  Until that time, it is a perfectly fine place for him to continue developing.   I am not sure we want to view our national league as a place to escape from as quickly as humanly possible.  

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I think you're spot on here. I'd like to see guys leave when they're dominating if possible. The opposite of the Pepple situation. I think Ferrari and Wright could use another year, Abzi should be gone after this year and I would definitely question TFC's management if they don't go after him with Morrow retiring and Abzi right in their backyard. 

5 hours ago, BradMack said:

I think you're spot on here. I'd like to see guys leave when they're dominating if possible. The opposite of the Pepple situation. I think Ferrari and Wright could use another year, Abzi should be gone after this year and I would definitely question TFC's management if they don't go after him with Morrow retiring and Abzi right in their backyard. 

i doubt tfc look at Abzi,they have lawrence maybe lareya and they have petrasso and franklin at tfc2

isnt Wright the kind of guy who would get poached by an MLS squad or Europe?  Lots of size, nose for goal that you cant teach, 5g and 3a in what 1000 minutes?? What would Jimmy B let him go for??  It seems like a small investment for a bigger club, buy him, put him on league minimum contract, see how it goes from there??

On 11/1/2021 at 11:14 PM, reggietfc said:

i doubt tfc look at Abzi,they have lawrence maybe lareya and they have petrasso and franklin at tfc2

I'd look at Abzi as a back up/push Lawrence for minutes. Lareya is a right back primarily and might be in Europe next season by the looks of things. They will have Lawrence, Auro and potentially Lareya at the fullback positions. So they will need one, if not two more signings. Franklin is a right back, but also only has one year at USL1 level under his belt. Petrasso is a LB, a couple years at TFC2.. Has he been as dominant as Abzi has been for York? Nothing about TFC has ever given me the impression that they would favour TFC2 guys over bringing in better players. 

On 11/2/2021 at 1:11 AM, Bison44 said:

isnt Wright the kind of guy who would get poached by an MLS squad or Europe?  Lots of size, nose for goal that you cant teach, 5g and 3a in what 1000 minutes?? What would Jimmy B let him go for??  It seems like a small investment for a bigger club, buy him, put him on league minimum contract, see how it goes from there??

No doubt he is a blue chipper as far as CPL prospects go... A Pepple type physical speciman. He's probably getting attention, the arguement is wether or not he's better off, developement wise, staying another year in CPL. 

12 hours ago, narduch said:

I still think the number 99 should be banned in Canada 

Thread derail potential….

This maybe considered blasphemy….but was Gretzky really that good, or was it just an era that was beneficial to him in which he dominated? Stand up goalies, no face mask, limited padding, and half the size they are now…

Used to religiously follow hockey post Gretzky, and stopped after the lockout. I feel like the quality and skill of players today has supersede what was…so will every guys (Crosby) number be revered to all sports in Canada? 

Edited by Shway

3 hours ago, Shway said:

This maybe considered blasphemy….but was Gretzky really that good, or was it just an era that was beneficial to him in which he dominated? Stand up goalies, no face mask, limited padding, and half the size they are now…

Used to religiously follow hockey post Gretzky, and stopped after the lockout. I feel like the quality and skill of players today has supersede what was…so will every guys (Crosby) number be revered to all sports in Canada? 

Like anyone, Gretzky needs to be judged in his era.   You can’t put him in the rink with guys who have regimented food regimes, personal training and fitness regimes that are almost 24/7, and who have been forced to compete and evolve with guys all at an elevated skill level.  It would be like dropping a Magic Johnson into the modern NBA and expecting him to dominate.   He wouldn’t.  Hell, watch some Pele highlights and then tell me where that player would rank currently.   He wouldn’t do great.   Because there has been huge evolution in the game, the coaching, the training, etc.   Judging them by any other standard than their own era is pretty much meaningless.

I do maintain that if you could somehow drop one of those game-changing guys into the current era during their formative years, they would still develop into the kind of iconic players we see in the modern game.  Put a young Maradona in an elite and modern developmental pathway (with a rigourous drug testing regime…) and I bet the outcome would blow your mind.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

3 hours ago, Shway said:

OK, I gotta breathe deep and not dig into my 17 sheet sports nerd spreadsheet that has a different way of showing his utter dominance on each page. Must not derail thread!

The answer is yes, he really was that good.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

OK, I gotta breathe deep and not dig into my 17 sheet sports nerd spreadsheet that has a different way of showing his utter dominance on each page. Must not derail thread!

The answer is yes, he really was that good.

Yes.  Agreed.  Gretzky was that good. People use the era debate, but that can work both ways.  If he was born in this generation he would have had all the development young players have at their disposal.  He would be stronger, faster, and more skilled.  But it was his mind and how far ahead he was thinking the game that made him great.